Vomiting after eating.

Breed: Orange with white st
My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip' a fowl smelling liquid, which I believe is feces. This happens a few times a month. She is spayed.

I have tried many different brands of food. She eats only dry food, gets plenty of fresh water, and only uses natural clay litter with carbon in it for odor absorption. The litter gets changes weekly.

Vomiting occasionally is a very common issue with cats. In many cases it is quite normal. I do get concerned if it is getting more and more frequent, or if the vomiting is accompanied by not eating and lethargy.

When an older cat is vomiting regularly I sometimes consider hyperthyroidism. This will cause a cat to lose weight but still have a good appetite. If you think this is happening then it would be great to have some blood tests done. Similarly, kidney disease can cause vomiting, weight loss, but the appetite usually decreases.

Sometimes cats can vomit frequently because of inflammatory bowel disease. You would think this would mostly cause diarrhea, but in many cases it is just vomiting. This can be difficult to diagnose however. Sometimes if I suspect inflammatory bowel disease, and I have done blood work and it is normal I will try a cat on a small dose of steroids to help with the inflammation in the intestines.

Another cause for intermittent vomiting can be a poor quality food. Hairballs can also be a cause, even if it is hair that is being vomited. It's never a bad idea to try a Hairball Medication 2-3 times per week.

Regarding the liquid, I am wondering if what you are noticing is coming from her anal glands. There is a small sac on either side of the anus that can fill up with nasty debris. With some cats when it gets too full it leaks out and produces a distinctive fishy odor. Sometimes they can leak because there is an infection in the glands.

I have seen some animals who vomit when they have an anal gland infection (I think because they are licking at the area and ingesting the gross debris.)

It's a great idea to have your vet look at the anal glands. I don't recommend trying to express them yourself. Your vet will be able to tell you if there is an infection or not.

I hope everything goes well!

Limping Maltipoo. My dog fell from trying to jump on my bed 2 days ago. (She is a maltipoo and weighs... (16703 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (9607 views)

Vomiting every day. My cat has been throwing up almost every day for weeks but not after feeding. This... (31581 views)

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (10543 views)

UTI has returned? We are currently living abroad in Kazakhstan. Vet care here is not what we are used... (32546 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (10524 views)

Sore leg in a cat. I recently moved from a ranch house to townhouse(steps) in another city. Winston is... (30556 views)

Roundworms. Cat has roundworms. bought otc piperzine for her. how long should it take to work?... (17562 views)

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (19089 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (14408 views)