Vomiting after eating.

Breed: Orange with white st
My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip' a fowl smelling liquid, which I believe is feces. This happens a few times a month. She is spayed.

I have tried many different brands of food. She eats only dry food, gets plenty of fresh water, and only uses natural clay litter with carbon in it for odor absorption. The litter gets changes weekly.

Vomiting occasionally is a very common issue with cats. In many cases it is quite normal. I do get concerned if it is getting more and more frequent, or if the vomiting is accompanied by not eating and lethargy.

When an older cat is vomiting regularly I sometimes consider hyperthyroidism. This will cause a cat to lose weight but still have a good appetite. If you think this is happening then it would be great to have some blood tests done. Similarly, kidney disease can cause vomiting, weight loss, but the appetite usually decreases.

Sometimes cats can vomit frequently because of inflammatory bowel disease. You would think this would mostly cause diarrhea, but in many cases it is just vomiting. This can be difficult to diagnose however. Sometimes if I suspect inflammatory bowel disease, and I have done blood work and it is normal I will try a cat on a small dose of steroids to help with the inflammation in the intestines.

Another cause for intermittent vomiting can be a poor quality food. Hairballs can also be a cause, even if it is hair that is being vomited. It's never a bad idea to try a Hairball Medication 2-3 times per week.

Regarding the liquid, I am wondering if what you are noticing is coming from her anal glands. There is a small sac on either side of the anus that can fill up with nasty debris. With some cats when it gets too full it leaks out and produces a distinctive fishy odor. Sometimes they can leak because there is an infection in the glands.

I have seen some animals who vomit when they have an anal gland infection (I think because they are licking at the area and ingesting the gross debris.)

It's a great idea to have your vet look at the anal glands. I don't recommend trying to express them yourself. Your vet will be able to tell you if there is an infection or not.

I hope everything goes well!

Red spots on dog's back. my dog scraches all the time i use oatmeal based shampoo--even given her phenergan... (5125 views)

Seizures in a Yorkie. This past Monday she had an episode where she went limp and wasn't responsive to her... (22837 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (8442 views)

Infected wound? Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head... (3476 views)

Young cat died after sneezing. I run a very small rescue. I have about 10 cat cages that I utilize. I had four... (8280 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (19005 views)

Vomiting lethargic puppy. my dog is not wanting to eat at all and is just laying around she has vomited a few... (44057 views)

Blood in urine My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is... (6084 views)

Lab not eating. Dakota, my lab, has stopped eating over the last couple of weeks and is losing... (11617 views)

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (8447 views)