Vomiting after eating.

Breed: Orange with white st
My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip' a fowl smelling liquid, which I believe is feces. This happens a few times a month. She is spayed.

I have tried many different brands of food. She eats only dry food, gets plenty of fresh water, and only uses natural clay litter with carbon in it for odor absorption. The litter gets changes weekly.

Vomiting occasionally is a very common issue with cats. In many cases it is quite normal. I do get concerned if it is getting more and more frequent, or if the vomiting is accompanied by not eating and lethargy.

When an older cat is vomiting regularly I sometimes consider hyperthyroidism. This will cause a cat to lose weight but still have a good appetite. If you think this is happening then it would be great to have some blood tests done. Similarly, kidney disease can cause vomiting, weight loss, but the appetite usually decreases.

Sometimes cats can vomit frequently because of inflammatory bowel disease. You would think this would mostly cause diarrhea, but in many cases it is just vomiting. This can be difficult to diagnose however. Sometimes if I suspect inflammatory bowel disease, and I have done blood work and it is normal I will try a cat on a small dose of steroids to help with the inflammation in the intestines.

Another cause for intermittent vomiting can be a poor quality food. Hairballs can also be a cause, even if it is hair that is being vomited. It's never a bad idea to try a Hairball Medication 2-3 times per week.

Regarding the liquid, I am wondering if what you are noticing is coming from her anal glands. There is a small sac on either side of the anus that can fill up with nasty debris. With some cats when it gets too full it leaks out and produces a distinctive fishy odor. Sometimes they can leak because there is an infection in the glands.

I have seen some animals who vomit when they have an anal gland infection (I think because they are licking at the area and ingesting the gross debris.)

It's a great idea to have your vet look at the anal glands. I don't recommend trying to express them yourself. Your vet will be able to tell you if there is an infection or not.

I hope everything goes well!

Guinea Pig Pregnancy info. Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes... (14452 views)

Effects of tobacco on dogs. wat happens wen u feed ur dog a piece of levi garrett tabacco wit his... (9953 views)

Pug died suddenly. My 8 year old female pug just died. My husband came home from work and she had... (24058 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (10231 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (19304 views)

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (10943 views)

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (8334 views)

Guinea pig with mammary tumor. what does a large open lump on a guinea pigs tit mean? the tit has gone!... (12683 views)

Cat with bump on skin. My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin... (11166 views)

Licking feet. My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them... (8307 views)