Vomiting after eating.

Breed: Orange with white st
My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip' a fowl smelling liquid, which I believe is feces. This happens a few times a month. She is spayed.

I have tried many different brands of food. She eats only dry food, gets plenty of fresh water, and only uses natural clay litter with carbon in it for odor absorption. The litter gets changes weekly.

Vomiting occasionally is a very common issue with cats. In many cases it is quite normal. I do get concerned if it is getting more and more frequent, or if the vomiting is accompanied by not eating and lethargy.

When an older cat is vomiting regularly I sometimes consider hyperthyroidism. This will cause a cat to lose weight but still have a good appetite. If you think this is happening then it would be great to have some blood tests done. Similarly, kidney disease can cause vomiting, weight loss, but the appetite usually decreases.

Sometimes cats can vomit frequently because of inflammatory bowel disease. You would think this would mostly cause diarrhea, but in many cases it is just vomiting. This can be difficult to diagnose however. Sometimes if I suspect inflammatory bowel disease, and I have done blood work and it is normal I will try a cat on a small dose of steroids to help with the inflammation in the intestines.

Another cause for intermittent vomiting can be a poor quality food. Hairballs can also be a cause, even if it is hair that is being vomited. It's never a bad idea to try a Hairball Medication 2-3 times per week.

Regarding the liquid, I am wondering if what you are noticing is coming from her anal glands. There is a small sac on either side of the anus that can fill up with nasty debris. With some cats when it gets too full it leaks out and produces a distinctive fishy odor. Sometimes they can leak because there is an infection in the glands.

I have seen some animals who vomit when they have an anal gland infection (I think because they are licking at the area and ingesting the gross debris.)

It's a great idea to have your vet look at the anal glands. I don't recommend trying to express them yourself. Your vet will be able to tell you if there is an infection or not.

I hope everything goes well!

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (30496 views)

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (15845 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (9900 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (22692 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (9208 views)

My dog is grieving. Good Day Dr. In March of 2011 we lost Lucy (Coton du Tulear) to heart disease. ... (13586 views)

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (4449 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (10168 views)

Vomiting every day. My cat has been throwing up almost every day for weeks but not after feeding. This... (29620 views)

Should I do these tests? I have two shih tzu's from the same litter. They were born on 1/29/09, so they are... (15167 views)