Vomiting after eating.

Breed: Orange with white st
My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip' a fowl smelling liquid, which I believe is feces. This happens a few times a month. She is spayed.

I have tried many different brands of food. She eats only dry food, gets plenty of fresh water, and only uses natural clay litter with carbon in it for odor absorption. The litter gets changes weekly.

Vomiting occasionally is a very common issue with cats. In many cases it is quite normal. I do get concerned if it is getting more and more frequent, or if the vomiting is accompanied by not eating and lethargy.

When an older cat is vomiting regularly I sometimes consider hyperthyroidism. This will cause a cat to lose weight but still have a good appetite. If you think this is happening then it would be great to have some blood tests done. Similarly, kidney disease can cause vomiting, weight loss, but the appetite usually decreases.

Sometimes cats can vomit frequently because of inflammatory bowel disease. You would think this would mostly cause diarrhea, but in many cases it is just vomiting. This can be difficult to diagnose however. Sometimes if I suspect inflammatory bowel disease, and I have done blood work and it is normal I will try a cat on a small dose of steroids to help with the inflammation in the intestines.

Another cause for intermittent vomiting can be a poor quality food. Hairballs can also be a cause, even if it is hair that is being vomited. It's never a bad idea to try a Hairball Medication 2-3 times per week.

Regarding the liquid, I am wondering if what you are noticing is coming from her anal glands. There is a small sac on either side of the anus that can fill up with nasty debris. With some cats when it gets too full it leaks out and produces a distinctive fishy odor. Sometimes they can leak because there is an infection in the glands.

I have seen some animals who vomit when they have an anal gland infection (I think because they are licking at the area and ingesting the gross debris.)

It's a great idea to have your vet look at the anal glands. I don't recommend trying to express them yourself. Your vet will be able to tell you if there is an infection or not.

I hope everything goes well!

Brittle nails in a dog. My dog's nails seem to be chipping off and bleeding. He's not biting them. What is... (14607 views)

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (6253 views)

Dog is licking where he was neutered. my dog is licking where he was neutered 3 years ago help asap... (7452 views)

Dog died after coughing. Hi, My name is Tania. I had a Maltese/Shih tzu 12 years old. She had a stage one... (8877 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (8085 views)

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (11840 views)

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (53054 views)

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (124669 views)

Mycoplasma in rats. Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has... (9791 views)

Vomiting every time she eats. My cat is throwing up every time she eats, what is the... (17791 views)