Sore eye in a dog.

Breed: Yorkshire Terrier
Hi,
My Yorkie's left eye is squinting; it looks like she can't open it. She has been rubbing her face alot more recently, and when we go to touch it she squirms.
We've cut the hair away, and bathed it with warm water, but nothing's changed.
what is it and what can we do to get rid of it?

Sorry to hear that Maggie is having problems with her eye!

When a dog is squinting it means that there is some pain in the eye. Sometimes this can be quite serious.

It's possible that there is a scratch on the eye. If this is the case then this can be very serious. If a scratch on the eye is not properly treated it can sometimes cause the eye to rupture or to be permanently scarred.

It's also possible that there is an infection in the eye. Usually with an infection you will see that the whites of the eye are red and there is a green or yellow discharge from the eye.

Another possibility is glaucoma which is a build up of pressure inside the eye. Again, this is a very serious condition.

I never recommend home treatment for eye problems. If an animal has a painful eye then they need to see the vet right away.

I really hope everything is ok!

Dried blood in ferret's ears. My ferret has dry blood in it's ears what does that... (13153 views)

Dachshund with seizures. Gina had an episode that looked like a seizure about 1.5 years ago for a first time.... (8809 views)

Cat aggressive with dog. Our household has 2 dogs, 2 indoor cats, 3 parakeets and 3 kids :). The cats and... (4445 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My Dog Was Lost For 2 days and i found him 12-11-10 at 4pm curled up in a ball... (8632 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (8586 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (19972 views)

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (11531 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog keeps shaking and isn't acting herself. Her whole body is shaking but it is... (20739 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (7116 views)

Did my dog mate? hello my female dog was on her 2nd heat around 2months ago she got out my garden... (7279 views)