Sore eye in a dog.

Breed: Yorkshire Terrier
Hi,
My Yorkie's left eye is squinting; it looks like she can't open it. She has been rubbing her face alot more recently, and when we go to touch it she squirms.
We've cut the hair away, and bathed it with warm water, but nothing's changed.
what is it and what can we do to get rid of it?

Sorry to hear that Maggie is having problems with her eye!

When a dog is squinting it means that there is some pain in the eye. Sometimes this can be quite serious.

It's possible that there is a scratch on the eye. If this is the case then this can be very serious. If a scratch on the eye is not properly treated it can sometimes cause the eye to rupture or to be permanently scarred.

It's also possible that there is an infection in the eye. Usually with an infection you will see that the whites of the eye are red and there is a green or yellow discharge from the eye.

Another possibility is glaucoma which is a build up of pressure inside the eye. Again, this is a very serious condition.

I never recommend home treatment for eye problems. If an animal has a painful eye then they need to see the vet right away.

I really hope everything is ok!

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (6812 views)

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (56578 views)

Yellow diarrhea and runny eyes. i have a kitten that has diarreah yellowish in color. she acts like she has a hard... (8324 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (26337 views)

Cat can't poop. hi am afraid it is a mega colon my cat is not giving any stool , although he is... (16588 views)

How to get cat to lose weight. I have an overweight cat - we have gotten him down by three pounds but needs to lose... (9217 views)

Itchy face and ears. Abbey has been itching her neck face ears area ive stopped with dog treats changed... (12429 views)

Black spot or scab on dog's nose. Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister... (48206 views)

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (12142 views)

Swollen neck on cat. My cat was been experiencing avswollen upper neck and underneath chin. It has... (28391 views)