Sore eye in a dog.

Breed: Yorkshire Terrier
Hi,
My Yorkie's left eye is squinting; it looks like she can't open it. She has been rubbing her face alot more recently, and when we go to touch it she squirms.
We've cut the hair away, and bathed it with warm water, but nothing's changed.
what is it and what can we do to get rid of it?

Sorry to hear that Maggie is having problems with her eye!

When a dog is squinting it means that there is some pain in the eye. Sometimes this can be quite serious.

It's possible that there is a scratch on the eye. If this is the case then this can be very serious. If a scratch on the eye is not properly treated it can sometimes cause the eye to rupture or to be permanently scarred.

It's also possible that there is an infection in the eye. Usually with an infection you will see that the whites of the eye are red and there is a green or yellow discharge from the eye.

Another possibility is glaucoma which is a build up of pressure inside the eye. Again, this is a very serious condition.

I never recommend home treatment for eye problems. If an animal has a painful eye then they need to see the vet right away.

I really hope everything is ok!

what kind of dog to get Hi Please help! I want to get my Golden Retriever (male) a friend, but not... (8497 views)

Dog attacked by javelina. My dog got attacked by a javelina.. shes bleeding from her nose and mouth, what... (11163 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (13366 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi there, I have two cats, a male (Duke, long haired tabby) and female (Bella,... (10781 views)

Is this lump cancer? I noticed yesterday that my babe has a lump about the size of a kiwi on her bottom... (18354 views)

Does vinegar kill fleas? I have two cats, and my tenant has one as well. We are aware that they have fleas... (10010 views)

Trouble urinating after neuter surgery. Hi Dr, Max was neutered yesterday at 10 am. The nurses said he went to pee 2... (66353 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (10709 views)

Cat has high ALT. my cat was diagnosed with high alt liver enzyme and hi white blood cell count in... (38794 views)

Swollen face after tooth removal. Two months ago, Chuck (our elderly dog who's become more and more aggressive when... (30977 views)