Sore eye in a dog.

Breed: Yorkshire Terrier
Hi,
My Yorkie's left eye is squinting; it looks like she can't open it. She has been rubbing her face alot more recently, and when we go to touch it she squirms.
We've cut the hair away, and bathed it with warm water, but nothing's changed.
what is it and what can we do to get rid of it?

Sorry to hear that Maggie is having problems with her eye!

When a dog is squinting it means that there is some pain in the eye. Sometimes this can be quite serious.

It's possible that there is a scratch on the eye. If this is the case then this can be very serious. If a scratch on the eye is not properly treated it can sometimes cause the eye to rupture or to be permanently scarred.

It's also possible that there is an infection in the eye. Usually with an infection you will see that the whites of the eye are red and there is a green or yellow discharge from the eye.

Another possibility is glaucoma which is a build up of pressure inside the eye. Again, this is a very serious condition.

I never recommend home treatment for eye problems. If an animal has a painful eye then they need to see the vet right away.

I really hope everything is ok!

Sore ears. 6 months ago my Scottish terrier came down with swelling and fluid on right side of... (6105 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (29544 views)

Cat pawing at mouth My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first,... (26725 views)

Rash on belly. My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise"... (48501 views)

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (9620 views)

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (34911 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (5067 views)

PPA safety for dogs. Hi, Dr. Marie: I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding... (13167 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (7438 views)

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (8372 views)