Sore eye in a dog.

Breed: Yorkshire Terrier
Hi,
My Yorkie's left eye is squinting; it looks like she can't open it. She has been rubbing her face alot more recently, and when we go to touch it she squirms.
We've cut the hair away, and bathed it with warm water, but nothing's changed.
what is it and what can we do to get rid of it?

Sorry to hear that Maggie is having problems with her eye!

When a dog is squinting it means that there is some pain in the eye. Sometimes this can be quite serious.

It's possible that there is a scratch on the eye. If this is the case then this can be very serious. If a scratch on the eye is not properly treated it can sometimes cause the eye to rupture or to be permanently scarred.

It's also possible that there is an infection in the eye. Usually with an infection you will see that the whites of the eye are red and there is a green or yellow discharge from the eye.

Another possibility is glaucoma which is a build up of pressure inside the eye. Again, this is a very serious condition.

I never recommend home treatment for eye problems. If an animal has a painful eye then they need to see the vet right away.

I really hope everything is ok!

Bathed dog in gasoline. my dog's losing a lot of hair and her skin shows discoloration.when i was away for... (17329 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (8195 views)

Small pink lump on back. My dog has had a small light pink lump on his back for a little while now. I have... (11728 views)

Dog is panting a lot. My dog Sam has been panting alot for the past year. Recently he is doing this more... (24900 views)

Hip dysplasia and arthritis. Hello, My dog Jasmine is about 13 & 1/2 years old. We live in New York City. I... (13098 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (12244 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (10040 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia in kittens. hi, my cat recently had kittens, their are four kittens, two cant walk or barely... (19346 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (23824 views)

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (6994 views)