Older dog won't eat.

Breed: beagle/daschund mix
My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her dog food-gravy train- so we switched her to blue buffalo dog food. She liked it for a few weeks and then stopped. We had her eating hot dogs because that was the only thing she would eat. Recently she has stopped and we tried chicken and hamburger meat and she ate both for about two days but has now stopped eating. She is still taking water but will not eat. My sister got her from a shelter 9 years ago and has since moved away raking any records that she had . No vets will see her without her getting all of her shots updated. I'm very worried. Please help me if you can.

Oh dear, I am sorry that Baby is not feeling well.

When an older dog starts to lose their appetite there is almost always a medical problem going on. It could be that she has problems with her liver or kidneys. Cancer is unfortunately a possibility as well.

I can't imagine a vet refusing to see her because she does not have her vaccines. In fact, a vet would not vaccinate her if she is unwell like this.

She does need to have a vet visit. Your vet will do a good physical exam and some bloodwork and give you an idea as to whether this is something we can treat or not.

I wish I could give you some better advice, but unfortunately she really does need to see a doctor.

Panting after insulin. My 6 year old dog was Diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. Having some trouble... (52117 views)

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (7381 views)

Start thryoid medicine? Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound... (10580 views)

Should I spay my older dog? Greetings, I have an 8 year old female shih tzu that never had any puppies,and... (20195 views)

Bald spots on cat's legs. I moved from Los Angeles to St.Louis with my cat. For a few months now I've noticed... (28295 views)

Cat regurgitating fluid. We have a (female) calico cat who was regurgitating 4 - 5 times per day and not... (11451 views)

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (12006 views)

Brown bugs over top of tail. Dear Dr. Marie: I HAVE A CAT, IT HAS BROWN BUG AND SCAB AT THE DORSAL ASPECT OF... (12955 views)

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (11182 views)

Blood in urine after neuter. My dog was neutered 2 days ago. When he pees now there is small traces of blood in... (42153 views)