Older dog won't eat.

Breed: beagle/daschund mix
My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her dog food-gravy train- so we switched her to blue buffalo dog food. She liked it for a few weeks and then stopped. We had her eating hot dogs because that was the only thing she would eat. Recently she has stopped and we tried chicken and hamburger meat and she ate both for about two days but has now stopped eating. She is still taking water but will not eat. My sister got her from a shelter 9 years ago and has since moved away raking any records that she had . No vets will see her without her getting all of her shots updated. I'm very worried. Please help me if you can.

Oh dear, I am sorry that Baby is not feeling well.

When an older dog starts to lose their appetite there is almost always a medical problem going on. It could be that she has problems with her liver or kidneys. Cancer is unfortunately a possibility as well.

I can't imagine a vet refusing to see her because she does not have her vaccines. In fact, a vet would not vaccinate her if she is unwell like this.

She does need to have a vet visit. Your vet will do a good physical exam and some bloodwork and give you an idea as to whether this is something we can treat or not.

I wish I could give you some better advice, but unfortunately she really does need to see a doctor.

Vomiting undigested food. I read in a magazine Woman's World about your service to give pet medical advice. My... (18576 views)

Bad odor from dog's behind. I have a border Collie-lab male 4 year old dog. About a week go I noticed that my... (12521 views)

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (13151 views)

Vomiting and red skin. Dr. Marie My buddy Bobber is sick. He is currently seeing a vet. I read a Q and A... (6639 views)

Fleas, pale nose and sick. My cat Ava has lost alomot all of her hair and so much weight i can see her hip... (4898 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (22701 views)

maggots in guinea pig's cage Dear dr marie, i found maggots in my guinea pig's cage. So i want to know if he has... (13835 views)

Do dogs get sciatica? Hi, about three weeks ago zues' back legs seemed week and clumsy and he was dripping... (13234 views)

Brain and thyroid cancer. Hello Dr. Marie, I'm so sad to say I lost my boy cancer last week. We first... (13871 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (40624 views)