Lump on neck.

Breed: Jack russel dachshun
My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed the back left side of her neck was swollen. Like a squishy fluid retention sort of way. Since then it has gotten a little bigger and firmer, but still squishy. She doesn't seem to be in pain or uncomfortable. I think she might have bumped it or something in her crate, but I'm worried it's something else. I've given her Benadryl and strapped some ice to it to see if it will go down. Is this something urgent to take her to the vet? I would rather not if I don't need to, vet's charge an arm and leg these days.

This is an interesting question. It will be hard to give you a concrete answer without examining Kiki but I'll give you my thoughts.

First of all, if she doesn't seem to be bothered by this lump then I think it is ok to wait this out for a few days before seeing the vet.

A seroma is the first thing that I think of. A seroma is basically a collection of fluid that happens after some type of injury. So, if she has injured herself in the kennel then this is possible. If it is a seroma then it can take a couple of weeks to improve. Sometimes, applying a cold compress a few times a day can make a difference and help it to go down quicker. So keep up with the ice.

The next possibility is if it is an abscess. If so, there would have to have been some sort of wound to start things off. Does she fight with other dogs at all? If she has recently had a fight then I would think an abscess is more likely. An abscess will not heal without antibiotics. And, sometimes an abscess won't heal unless it is surgically opened.

The only way to tell the difference between the two would be to have your vet do an aspirate of the lump (which means to put a needle in and draw some fluid out.)

At this point if she is eating well and not obviously painful then I would keep an eye on her. But, if you notice any of the following then I would have her seen:

-lack of appetite
-lethargy
-if the lump seems painful
-if it is oozing pus at all
-if it is getting bigger rather than smaller

I think if there has been no change in a week or so then I would have a vet look at it.

I hope things are better soon!

She plays with other, bigger dogs, but they don't fight. If she got bit it didn't break the skin. Could she get an abscess without having a sore? I forgot to mention her skin is fine. No sores or wounds.

Often if there is an abscess, you may not be able to see the initial wound. The skin can heal up really quickly, but the infection can build up underneath.

So, yes, an abscess is still a possibility.

Fearful puppy? I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they... (6311 views)

Itchy ears and bum. My dog keeps scratching at her ears and shakes her head a lot. I clean her ears and... (13929 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (22999 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (7243 views)

Needs anals done often. Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly... (8847 views)

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (16253 views)

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (9027 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (13978 views)

House training adult dog. Is it possible to house break a 5 y/o mini pin that was rescued from a puppy mill? ... (7838 views)

Effects of tobacco on dogs. wat happens wen u feed ur dog a piece of levi garrett tabacco wit his... (9286 views)