Lump on neck.

Breed: Jack russel dachshun
My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed the back left side of her neck was swollen. Like a squishy fluid retention sort of way. Since then it has gotten a little bigger and firmer, but still squishy. She doesn't seem to be in pain or uncomfortable. I think she might have bumped it or something in her crate, but I'm worried it's something else. I've given her Benadryl and strapped some ice to it to see if it will go down. Is this something urgent to take her to the vet? I would rather not if I don't need to, vet's charge an arm and leg these days.

This is an interesting question. It will be hard to give you a concrete answer without examining Kiki but I'll give you my thoughts.

First of all, if she doesn't seem to be bothered by this lump then I think it is ok to wait this out for a few days before seeing the vet.

A seroma is the first thing that I think of. A seroma is basically a collection of fluid that happens after some type of injury. So, if she has injured herself in the kennel then this is possible. If it is a seroma then it can take a couple of weeks to improve. Sometimes, applying a cold compress a few times a day can make a difference and help it to go down quicker. So keep up with the ice.

The next possibility is if it is an abscess. If so, there would have to have been some sort of wound to start things off. Does she fight with other dogs at all? If she has recently had a fight then I would think an abscess is more likely. An abscess will not heal without antibiotics. And, sometimes an abscess won't heal unless it is surgically opened.

The only way to tell the difference between the two would be to have your vet do an aspirate of the lump (which means to put a needle in and draw some fluid out.)

At this point if she is eating well and not obviously painful then I would keep an eye on her. But, if you notice any of the following then I would have her seen:

-lack of appetite
-lethargy
-if the lump seems painful
-if it is oozing pus at all
-if it is getting bigger rather than smaller

I think if there has been no change in a week or so then I would have a vet look at it.

I hope things are better soon!

She plays with other, bigger dogs, but they don't fight. If she got bit it didn't break the skin. Could she get an abscess without having a sore? I forgot to mention her skin is fine. No sores or wounds.

Often if there is an abscess, you may not be able to see the initial wound. The skin can heal up really quickly, but the infection can build up underneath.

So, yes, an abscess is still a possibility.

Swollen ear flap. i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to... (8591 views)

Bumps over dog's body. My pug is having dry bumps on his body.. It's not paining him but yeah it's bit... (5314 views)

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (10783 views)

Unneutered dog bit child. Hello Dr. Marie, Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or... (6909 views)

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (3108 views)

Bald spots on dog I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of... (10710 views)

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (41392 views)

Guinea pig not eating. Hello, I have a 3 year old guinea pig who has stopped eating. Last week I... (3647 views)

Dog is losing weight. I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always... (7554 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (60798 views)