Lump on neck.

Breed: Jack russel dachshun
My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed the back left side of her neck was swollen. Like a squishy fluid retention sort of way. Since then it has gotten a little bigger and firmer, but still squishy. She doesn't seem to be in pain or uncomfortable. I think she might have bumped it or something in her crate, but I'm worried it's something else. I've given her Benadryl and strapped some ice to it to see if it will go down. Is this something urgent to take her to the vet? I would rather not if I don't need to, vet's charge an arm and leg these days.

This is an interesting question. It will be hard to give you a concrete answer without examining Kiki but I'll give you my thoughts.

First of all, if she doesn't seem to be bothered by this lump then I think it is ok to wait this out for a few days before seeing the vet.

A seroma is the first thing that I think of. A seroma is basically a collection of fluid that happens after some type of injury. So, if she has injured herself in the kennel then this is possible. If it is a seroma then it can take a couple of weeks to improve. Sometimes, applying a cold compress a few times a day can make a difference and help it to go down quicker. So keep up with the ice.

The next possibility is if it is an abscess. If so, there would have to have been some sort of wound to start things off. Does she fight with other dogs at all? If she has recently had a fight then I would think an abscess is more likely. An abscess will not heal without antibiotics. And, sometimes an abscess won't heal unless it is surgically opened.

The only way to tell the difference between the two would be to have your vet do an aspirate of the lump (which means to put a needle in and draw some fluid out.)

At this point if she is eating well and not obviously painful then I would keep an eye on her. But, if you notice any of the following then I would have her seen:

-lack of appetite
-lethargy
-if the lump seems painful
-if it is oozing pus at all
-if it is getting bigger rather than smaller

I think if there has been no change in a week or so then I would have a vet look at it.

I hope things are better soon!

She plays with other, bigger dogs, but they don't fight. If she got bit it didn't break the skin. Could she get an abscess without having a sore? I forgot to mention her skin is fine. No sores or wounds.

Often if there is an abscess, you may not be able to see the initial wound. The skin can heal up really quickly, but the infection can build up underneath.

So, yes, an abscess is still a possibility.

How much exercise for a puppy? Hi Dr Marie, I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d... (6528 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (15597 views)

Dog waking every 2 hours. Our dog gets congested, breathes through his mouth, his mouth dries out and he wants... (19519 views)

ACTH Stim my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in... (6875 views)

Fluid in the lungs that got better. Hi, My boy Buster Brown has an array of health probs from dry eye syndrome to... (3801 views)

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (10044 views)

Coughing after spay. My cat was spayed 6 days ago. At first she was great.Incision looked great and still... (10245 views)

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (11436 views)

Does high pitch affect seizures? Hello there, I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me... (9094 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (7439 views)