Ear mites?

Breed: cat
My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I tried to use mineral oil, but he cried when I tried to touch his ear. There is a lot of black ear wax looking chunks. With white dots all over it. How can I help him?

Sorry to hear that Bailey is having problems with his ears.

By far the best advice I can give you is to have your vet take a look at Bailey. If this is ear mites then you will have the most success with a prescription product. I like to use either Revolution or Advantage multi and they both work extremely well without requiring you to put medication in their ears.

Your vet can also determine whether this is due to ear mites or if he has a bacterial or yeast infection in the ears. If this is the case he needs a different type of prescription medicine. No over the counter medicine will work effectively and completely.

Mineral oil really does not kill ear mites completely. You can buy over the counter ear mite meds at most pet stores, but they tend to be not as effective as the products you get from your vet.

Additionally, be sure that all animals in your house are being treated for mites as well. If you only treat one then they can pass mites back and forth.

I hope Bailey is feeling better soon!

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (14456 views)

Raw, sore nose. Hi there I have a 5 year old Malamute named Mika about a year ago she was attatcked... (7790 views)

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (12035 views)

Dog with pancreatitis. My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I... (10938 views)

Dog ate grapes. My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes... (11685 views)

3 week old kitten with diarrhea. i have a kitten that is 3 weeks old and she has diarrhea and also i wanted to know... (11954 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (7158 views)

Very sick dog. Last night I noticed my dog had diarrhea and bad gas, but I thought she was just a... (14669 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (11362 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (11267 views)