Ear mites?

Breed: cat
My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I tried to use mineral oil, but he cried when I tried to touch his ear. There is a lot of black ear wax looking chunks. With white dots all over it. How can I help him?

Sorry to hear that Bailey is having problems with his ears.

By far the best advice I can give you is to have your vet take a look at Bailey. If this is ear mites then you will have the most success with a prescription product. I like to use either Revolution or Advantage multi and they both work extremely well without requiring you to put medication in their ears.

Your vet can also determine whether this is due to ear mites or if he has a bacterial or yeast infection in the ears. If this is the case he needs a different type of prescription medicine. No over the counter medicine will work effectively and completely.

Mineral oil really does not kill ear mites completely. You can buy over the counter ear mite meds at most pet stores, but they tend to be not as effective as the products you get from your vet.

Additionally, be sure that all animals in your house are being treated for mites as well. If you only treat one then they can pass mites back and forth.

I hope Bailey is feeling better soon!

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (11870 views)

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (17161 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could... (9072 views)

Bladder stone surgery. I just returned from the vet where my dog still is. It was discovered through... (23120 views)

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (26771 views)

Lump on hamster Hi, Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its... (21790 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (11494 views)

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (16978 views)

Treat for fleas same day as spay? I just had my puppy spayed. She came home with fleas. How long do I have to wait... (13530 views)

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (5346 views)