Ear mites?

Breed: cat
My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I tried to use mineral oil, but he cried when I tried to touch his ear. There is a lot of black ear wax looking chunks. With white dots all over it. How can I help him?

Sorry to hear that Bailey is having problems with his ears.

By far the best advice I can give you is to have your vet take a look at Bailey. If this is ear mites then you will have the most success with a prescription product. I like to use either Revolution or Advantage multi and they both work extremely well without requiring you to put medication in their ears.

Your vet can also determine whether this is due to ear mites or if he has a bacterial or yeast infection in the ears. If this is the case he needs a different type of prescription medicine. No over the counter medicine will work effectively and completely.

Mineral oil really does not kill ear mites completely. You can buy over the counter ear mite meds at most pet stores, but they tend to be not as effective as the products you get from your vet.

Additionally, be sure that all animals in your house are being treated for mites as well. If you only treat one then they can pass mites back and forth.

I hope Bailey is feeling better soon!

Teeth cleaning in cats. How important is it to clean your cats teeth and how would I go about it? My cat... (9502 views)

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (29431 views)

Vet lost the lump! My cat had surgery last Thursday to have a cyst on his toe removed to see if it was... (12750 views)

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (8605 views)

Puppy chewing legs and licking penis Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs,... (39557 views)

pain after root canal Had major teeth work performed about 3 months ago as we noticed her breath and she... (10546 views)

Possible seizure in toy poodle. my just had a shaking spell, he was shaking,panting,peeing and very unblanced when... (19180 views)

Swollen penis Charlie's penis is enlarged and pussing but the puss is not excessive. I really... (62973 views)

Pimple on ear. My dog has a pimple on his ear. Its on the inside flap. It only bother him when i... (16858 views)

Summer shaving? Is it ok to shave my dogs coat in the summer? will that help to make him... (10854 views)