Ear mites?

Breed: cat
My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I tried to use mineral oil, but he cried when I tried to touch his ear. There is a lot of black ear wax looking chunks. With white dots all over it. How can I help him?

Sorry to hear that Bailey is having problems with his ears.

By far the best advice I can give you is to have your vet take a look at Bailey. If this is ear mites then you will have the most success with a prescription product. I like to use either Revolution or Advantage multi and they both work extremely well without requiring you to put medication in their ears.

Your vet can also determine whether this is due to ear mites or if he has a bacterial or yeast infection in the ears. If this is the case he needs a different type of prescription medicine. No over the counter medicine will work effectively and completely.

Mineral oil really does not kill ear mites completely. You can buy over the counter ear mite meds at most pet stores, but they tend to be not as effective as the products you get from your vet.

Additionally, be sure that all animals in your house are being treated for mites as well. If you only treat one then they can pass mites back and forth.

I hope Bailey is feeling better soon!

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (20999 views)

Dog is panting a lot. My dog Sam has been panting alot for the past year. Recently he is doing this more... (23908 views)

Cat losing fur. Hi Why is my cats fur on his back all falling off in large clumps, other than that... (22126 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (7864 views)

Cat is not eating. Our 6 year old male cat has not been eating or Drinking. He has not been using the... (17063 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (7258 views)

Cat licking at belly. My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the... (7172 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (7483 views)

Blood in urine. I can not afford to take her to a vet...so here I am. I have just noticed while... (9318 views)

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (9082 views)