Ear mites?

Breed: cat
My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I tried to use mineral oil, but he cried when I tried to touch his ear. There is a lot of black ear wax looking chunks. With white dots all over it. How can I help him?

Sorry to hear that Bailey is having problems with his ears.

By far the best advice I can give you is to have your vet take a look at Bailey. If this is ear mites then you will have the most success with a prescription product. I like to use either Revolution or Advantage multi and they both work extremely well without requiring you to put medication in their ears.

Your vet can also determine whether this is due to ear mites or if he has a bacterial or yeast infection in the ears. If this is the case he needs a different type of prescription medicine. No over the counter medicine will work effectively and completely.

Mineral oil really does not kill ear mites completely. You can buy over the counter ear mite meds at most pet stores, but they tend to be not as effective as the products you get from your vet.

Additionally, be sure that all animals in your house are being treated for mites as well. If you only treat one then they can pass mites back and forth.

I hope Bailey is feeling better soon!

Guinea pig breathing problems. I'm not sure if you can answer this. My Guinea Pig was breathing very loud and fast.... (13981 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (6523 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (44386 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (8596 views)

Can dogs eat carrots? hi i have a rabbit and a dog. the dog is a shoodle cross between shitzu and a... (13144 views)

Licking at lump on leg. Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I... (24777 views)

OTC sedation for cats. I just brought my two cats home from their dental cleaning and found out that they... (90289 views)

Dog ate grapes. Last night at 9PM I took my dog out for a walk. We were in our town and someone had... (38813 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (113113 views)

Not eating or drinking because lonely? i have a puppy i've had her in the backyard now my sister had an inspection at her... (7363 views)