Ear mites?

Breed: cat
My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I tried to use mineral oil, but he cried when I tried to touch his ear. There is a lot of black ear wax looking chunks. With white dots all over it. How can I help him?

Sorry to hear that Bailey is having problems with his ears.

By far the best advice I can give you is to have your vet take a look at Bailey. If this is ear mites then you will have the most success with a prescription product. I like to use either Revolution or Advantage multi and they both work extremely well without requiring you to put medication in their ears.

Your vet can also determine whether this is due to ear mites or if he has a bacterial or yeast infection in the ears. If this is the case he needs a different type of prescription medicine. No over the counter medicine will work effectively and completely.

Mineral oil really does not kill ear mites completely. You can buy over the counter ear mite meds at most pet stores, but they tend to be not as effective as the products you get from your vet.

Additionally, be sure that all animals in your house are being treated for mites as well. If you only treat one then they can pass mites back and forth.

I hope Bailey is feeling better soon!

Wobbly cavalier during pregnancy. Hi, we have a female 3 year old cavalier king charles spaniel. she is 5 weeks... (9744 views)

Milk coming out nose. Hi my dog has just had pups 5 weeks ago an since day one, one of the puppies has... (23714 views)

Arthritis in elbow. My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has... (15402 views)

Red bugs on my dog. my dog has red bugs on him i have no idea what to do PLZ ANSWER THIS I LOVE MY DOG I... (14368 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (18494 views)

Diarrhea and lump on face. My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea... (10229 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (29076 views)

How to get cat to lose weight. I have an overweight cat - we have gotten him down by three pounds but needs to lose... (8172 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (7864 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (8084 views)