Chronic doxycycline use.

Breed: Pug
How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline capsules?

It was prescribed to get rid of a couple of large deep cystic like pimples that were not responding at all to any topical treatments. Benzoyl peroxide, clindamyacin, stridex, and others, all failed. His acne is around his muzzle, in between the fold area that covers part of the nose.

He has been on the medicine for almost 2 weeks with dramatic results. Probably an 85% improvement.

There have been ZERO side effects that I've noticed. Can he stay on it for a full two or three weeks?

I realize you can't give specific advice relating to medicine but please speak generally as to what you might recommend if presented with a similar case involving a pug. Thank you.

I'm glad to hear that Chocko's lesions are improving.

It is indeed safe for a dog to stay on doxycycline for more than a couple of weeks. Some vets will use it much much longer than that to treat chronic conditions.

Some dogs can get some mild stomach upset with doxycycline. But, most likely if this was going to happen you would have noticed it by now.

If your vet is recommending long term use of doxycycline then this should be just fine. The length of time that Chocko is on doxycycline should be determined by your vet, but in general it should be until the problem is cleared up and then a week or two longer.

Thank you, that is reassuring to hear.

If there are no apparent side effects, is it problematic to put the dog back on 2-4 week cycles if new outbreaks appear? Or could that be a scenario in which a Vet will opt for an even longer stay on the medicine.

As a lay person my concern would be that with each recurrent usage the acne might become more resistant to the antibiotic, requiring ever longer treatment, and so forth. Maybe this type of "tolerance" doesn't apply, I'm not sure. I just know that I would be hesitant to do anything that over time, lessens the efficacy of the one treatment that actually works.

Thank you again for your time and excellent advice.

Again, the decision on how long to use this drug really needs to be made by your vet as there are many variables involved but in most cases, if you treat long enough the first time it shouldn't come back. If it does I suppose it is possible to do repeated courses of doxycycline but it's not something that we regularly do.

If it keeps coming back I would be looking for underlying issues such as an allergy or yeast or parasites. Most likely it will just clear up and never come back though. :)

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (9191 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (13919 views)

Possible coonhound paralysis? My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL... (11463 views)

Shelter cats with infection. Hello My friend told me I should talk to you about what is going on at the animal... (5684 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could... (9090 views)

Cat vomiting and not eating. Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. ... (31912 views)

cat with trouble breathing I have a cat named Bunny, she is about 4 or 5 years old, she is a little over... (26742 views)

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (16531 views)

Possible spleen cancer. About 2 wks ago noticed lack of appetite and lethargy. Took her to the vet who said... (11863 views)

Dog leaps to her feet. Why does my 12 year old lame Siberian Husky suddenly leap to her feet and walk off.... (8857 views)