Chronic doxycycline use.

Breed: Pug
How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline capsules?

It was prescribed to get rid of a couple of large deep cystic like pimples that were not responding at all to any topical treatments. Benzoyl peroxide, clindamyacin, stridex, and others, all failed. His acne is around his muzzle, in between the fold area that covers part of the nose.

He has been on the medicine for almost 2 weeks with dramatic results. Probably an 85% improvement.

There have been ZERO side effects that I've noticed. Can he stay on it for a full two or three weeks?

I realize you can't give specific advice relating to medicine but please speak generally as to what you might recommend if presented with a similar case involving a pug. Thank you.

I'm glad to hear that Chocko's lesions are improving.

It is indeed safe for a dog to stay on doxycycline for more than a couple of weeks. Some vets will use it much much longer than that to treat chronic conditions.

Some dogs can get some mild stomach upset with doxycycline. But, most likely if this was going to happen you would have noticed it by now.

If your vet is recommending long term use of doxycycline then this should be just fine. The length of time that Chocko is on doxycycline should be determined by your vet, but in general it should be until the problem is cleared up and then a week or two longer.

Thank you, that is reassuring to hear.

If there are no apparent side effects, is it problematic to put the dog back on 2-4 week cycles if new outbreaks appear? Or could that be a scenario in which a Vet will opt for an even longer stay on the medicine.

As a lay person my concern would be that with each recurrent usage the acne might become more resistant to the antibiotic, requiring ever longer treatment, and so forth. Maybe this type of "tolerance" doesn't apply, I'm not sure. I just know that I would be hesitant to do anything that over time, lessens the efficacy of the one treatment that actually works.

Thank you again for your time and excellent advice.

Again, the decision on how long to use this drug really needs to be made by your vet as there are many variables involved but in most cases, if you treat long enough the first time it shouldn't come back. If it does I suppose it is possible to do repeated courses of doxycycline but it's not something that we regularly do.

If it keeps coming back I would be looking for underlying issues such as an allergy or yeast or parasites. Most likely it will just clear up and never come back though. :)

Dog died suddenly. Please help me....My dog lucky (6) was found dead at the side of our house the other... (55082 views)

Snapping noise in joints. Doctor, We have two labs (chocolate, and black). They love to run, fetch, play, and... (15480 views)

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (7447 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (10019 views)

Dog spinning and bothered My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He... (13846 views)

Hyperthyroidism and stress. My cat Harry, who is approximately 12 years old, was just diagnosed with... (10690 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (9616 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (14789 views)

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (13694 views)

Small open wound on dog Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She... (15833 views)