Chronic doxycycline use.

Breed: Pug
How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline capsules?

It was prescribed to get rid of a couple of large deep cystic like pimples that were not responding at all to any topical treatments. Benzoyl peroxide, clindamyacin, stridex, and others, all failed. His acne is around his muzzle, in between the fold area that covers part of the nose.

He has been on the medicine for almost 2 weeks with dramatic results. Probably an 85% improvement.

There have been ZERO side effects that I've noticed. Can he stay on it for a full two or three weeks?

I realize you can't give specific advice relating to medicine but please speak generally as to what you might recommend if presented with a similar case involving a pug. Thank you.

I'm glad to hear that Chocko's lesions are improving.

It is indeed safe for a dog to stay on doxycycline for more than a couple of weeks. Some vets will use it much much longer than that to treat chronic conditions.

Some dogs can get some mild stomach upset with doxycycline. But, most likely if this was going to happen you would have noticed it by now.

If your vet is recommending long term use of doxycycline then this should be just fine. The length of time that Chocko is on doxycycline should be determined by your vet, but in general it should be until the problem is cleared up and then a week or two longer.

Thank you, that is reassuring to hear.

If there are no apparent side effects, is it problematic to put the dog back on 2-4 week cycles if new outbreaks appear? Or could that be a scenario in which a Vet will opt for an even longer stay on the medicine.

As a lay person my concern would be that with each recurrent usage the acne might become more resistant to the antibiotic, requiring ever longer treatment, and so forth. Maybe this type of "tolerance" doesn't apply, I'm not sure. I just know that I would be hesitant to do anything that over time, lessens the efficacy of the one treatment that actually works.

Thank you again for your time and excellent advice.

Again, the decision on how long to use this drug really needs to be made by your vet as there are many variables involved but in most cases, if you treat long enough the first time it shouldn't come back. If it does I suppose it is possible to do repeated courses of doxycycline but it's not something that we regularly do.

If it keeps coming back I would be looking for underlying issues such as an allergy or yeast or parasites. Most likely it will just clear up and never come back though. :)

Older cat not eating. Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of... (24618 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (9600 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (16514 views)

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (4419 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (11420 views)

Young cat died after sneezing. I run a very small rescue. I have about 10 cat cages that I utilize. I had four... (8046 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (38953 views)

White spot on dog's nose. sadie has a white spot below her nose right in the middle of the muzzle i can't tell... (33661 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (8822 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (9101 views)