13 year old cat losing weight.

Breed: medium hair tabby
I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had some diarrhea. Baby eats okay and drinks plenty of water, and just recently noticed that he started drooling a little. Wondering if there could be an issue with his mouth or teeth.

Sounds like a vet visit is in store! When an older cat starts to lose weight and is eating well then the first thing I think of is hyperthyroidism. Other possibilities include diabetes or renal disease.

A dental problem is possible, but the first three are more likely.

These are all treatable diseases if we catch them early enough.

Increased thirst and urination. Hi Dr. Marie, This question concerns crystals in urine. Starting about 1 week... (4537 views)

My dog twisted her back. Dear Dr. Marie, Hope you are well. I was contacting you in hopes that you could... (34218 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (8931 views)

Coughing dog. I have two very healthy Min Pins. Well I had two healthy dogs. Last weekend we... (4473 views)

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (12574 views)

Frontline and bathing. Hi Dr. Marie, I applied Frontline Plus to my puppy the same day that he had a... (23251 views)

Bloated abdomen in hamster. Hi....our pet hamster buddy is extremely bloated. We have had him for a year and a... (77072 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (7404 views)

Has my cat been poisoned? I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a... (7582 views)

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (15100 views)