13 year old cat losing weight.

Breed: medium hair tabby
I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had some diarrhea. Baby eats okay and drinks plenty of water, and just recently noticed that he started drooling a little. Wondering if there could be an issue with his mouth or teeth.

Sounds like a vet visit is in store! When an older cat starts to lose weight and is eating well then the first thing I think of is hyperthyroidism. Other possibilities include diabetes or renal disease.

A dental problem is possible, but the first three are more likely.

These are all treatable diseases if we catch them early enough.

Coughing after spay. My cat was spayed 6 days ago. At first she was great.Incision looked great and still... (16755 views)

Repeated diarrhea and vomiting. Dr. Marie: Thank you for your input and warning -- this will be a bit lengthy. I... (12816 views)

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (6887 views)

Getting cat to lose weight. Dear Dr Marie, We have just adopted a fat cat, and are trying to reduce his weight.... (7122 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (10618 views)

Needs anals done often. Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly... (11315 views)

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (12156 views)

Hyperaldosteronism? My niece's 12 yr old cat vomits about every 6 days, gets dehydrated, listless and... (6045 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (9215 views)

Questions from a student? I have a grade 6 student doing a research project on Veteranarians. Could she use... (8666 views)