Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs.

Breed: Chihuahua

If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in advance. I have quit giving our dogs chicken jerky because of the bad press. My question is, is it okay if I make my own for them? Unseasoned, just dried. If so, how much can they have? Daily? Weekly?
Also, what do you recommend for healthy treats for my dogs. I have a hard time not giving them treats.

Thank you again,
Robin

You can definitely make your own chicken jerky. Dr. V. from Pawcurious recently created a video explaining how to do that:

It's hard to say how much is "allowed" for dogs. I would likely say to limit it to a strip per day in a dog the size of a chihuahua. Even though it is a healthy treat, there are still calories in it.

Does Shelley like veggies at all? Most veggies are a great treat. Raw carrots are perfect for dogs. I also like to give dogs ice cubes if they enjoy that.

The other thing that I have clients do is to use their regular dog food as treats. Or, I often recommend using a food called t/d (made by Hill's). It's a tartar diet, but the kibbles are really tasty and make good treats - again, in moderation.

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could... (7900 views)

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (24330 views)

Bloated abdomen in hamster. Hi....our pet hamster buddy is extremely bloated. We have had him for a year and a... (77252 views)

Dog diarrhea problems. Hi Dr, This is an update to a previous question. Max is over 10 wks old now... (35419 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (14832 views)

Connection between dandruff and diabetes? My pet has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. She is on 5 units of insulin 2x... (14674 views)

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (9847 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (11448 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (7777 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (29651 views)