Large abdomen in cat.

Breed: orange tabby
We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly which appeared within 2 weeks. Several months ago we started adding 1/2 can of wet food per day to his diet in an effort to help him gian weight, but stopped that several weeks ago when we saw his belly growing. His belly however, has not stopped growing.

It sounds like it is time for a vet visit. Unfortunately when an older cat starts to get a large belly it is usually a sign of something serious.

It can be a build up of fluid. The most common reasons for fluid to build up are because of cancer or serious liver disease.

Another possibility is a very large tumor in the abdomen.

By far the best thing you can do is have your vet take a look and determine what is going on.

I hope he is ok.

Coughing after spay. My cat was spayed 6 days ago. At first she was great.Incision looked great and still... (16947 views)

Contagious diarrhea? please bare with me as this is gonna be kind of long... about 2 weeks ago i had... (8710 views)

Possible cruciate tear. I am currently fostering an overweight husky/lab cross (Working on the weight... (8829 views)

Older cat coughing. My cat is heaving like she has a hairball, but nothing is coming up. She is still... (19560 views)

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (20990 views)

Dog died after injections. Our 12 yo 12 lb healthy mini dachsund fell off our bed in the middle of the night.... (7823 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (48108 views)

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (14249 views)

Lungworm from slugs? My dog just licked a small slug. Is there a possibility of a... (12350 views)

Lethargic shih tzu My dog came home from the cottage this weekend and is acting very odd. He walks a... (29823 views)