Large abdomen in cat.

Breed: orange tabby
We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly which appeared within 2 weeks. Several months ago we started adding 1/2 can of wet food per day to his diet in an effort to help him gian weight, but stopped that several weeks ago when we saw his belly growing. His belly however, has not stopped growing.

It sounds like it is time for a vet visit. Unfortunately when an older cat starts to get a large belly it is usually a sign of something serious.

It can be a build up of fluid. The most common reasons for fluid to build up are because of cancer or serious liver disease.

Another possibility is a very large tumor in the abdomen.

By far the best thing you can do is have your vet take a look and determine what is going on.

I hope he is ok.

Blood tinged urine. Dr. Marie, My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right... (12323 views)

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (10913 views)

The euthanasia procedure. I had to euthanize my 18.5 year old cat Quincy on Monday. He suffered from CRF and... (15055 views)

Cat hair loss. My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out.... (53237 views)

Will mating kill my dog? i have had my dog for 2 weeks an she has just mated with my brothers dog but the... (8623 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (126391 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (8307 views)

Pomeranian in pain. I have a 4 year old pom. All of a sudden, 3 weeks ago he started having abdominal... (16964 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (27942 views)

Black spot or scab on dog's nose. Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister... (44690 views)