Large abdomen in cat.

Breed: orange tabby
We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly which appeared within 2 weeks. Several months ago we started adding 1/2 can of wet food per day to his diet in an effort to help him gian weight, but stopped that several weeks ago when we saw his belly growing. His belly however, has not stopped growing.

It sounds like it is time for a vet visit. Unfortunately when an older cat starts to get a large belly it is usually a sign of something serious.

It can be a build up of fluid. The most common reasons for fluid to build up are because of cancer or serious liver disease.

Another possibility is a very large tumor in the abdomen.

By far the best thing you can do is have your vet take a look and determine what is going on.

I hope he is ok.

Cat's stomach making noises My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This... (186920 views)

Is spinach good for dogs? Is spinach toxic for... (146698 views)

Chin acne in cats. He's been on a cleansing agent and anti-biotic/steroid for 5 of 7 days for his acne... (6635 views)

Natural treatment for lymphoma? my dog was just diagnosed with lymphoma cancer. hes on prednisone. cant afford... (7821 views)

Diarrhea and lump on face. My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea... (9659 views)

Natural allergy remedies. Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of... (9125 views)

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (11739 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (14857 views)

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (8844 views)

Liver cancer questions. My dog Penny was on trilo for Cushings - Dec 2010- then she went into Addisons went... (6559 views)