Large abdomen in cat.

Breed: orange tabby
We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly which appeared within 2 weeks. Several months ago we started adding 1/2 can of wet food per day to his diet in an effort to help him gian weight, but stopped that several weeks ago when we saw his belly growing. His belly however, has not stopped growing.

It sounds like it is time for a vet visit. Unfortunately when an older cat starts to get a large belly it is usually a sign of something serious.

It can be a build up of fluid. The most common reasons for fluid to build up are because of cancer or serious liver disease.

Another possibility is a very large tumor in the abdomen.

By far the best thing you can do is have your vet take a look and determine what is going on.

I hope he is ok.

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (6978 views)

Lethargic after Trifexis. Hello, Thank you for your help. My beagle, Daisy (25 lbs), ate her dose of... (25730 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (13304 views)

Care of orphaned kittens. I have a ferral outside cat who just had kittens and was attacked...most of thr... (7220 views)

Ear problems. Charlie has possibly caught ear mites. He his continuously scratching for minutes... (8730 views)

White blisters in cat's ears. My cat has a number of small white "blisters" on her ears. She repeatedly scratches... (8413 views)

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (14834 views)

Torn nail problem. my dog hooked her nail last saturday and broke the nail off very short and was... (11980 views)

Metacam safe for dogs? Hi, We have a 2 year old Lab mix from the local shelter. We adopted him as a puppy... (14889 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (12359 views)