Large abdomen in cat.

Breed: orange tabby
We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly which appeared within 2 weeks. Several months ago we started adding 1/2 can of wet food per day to his diet in an effort to help him gian weight, but stopped that several weeks ago when we saw his belly growing. His belly however, has not stopped growing.

It sounds like it is time for a vet visit. Unfortunately when an older cat starts to get a large belly it is usually a sign of something serious.

It can be a build up of fluid. The most common reasons for fluid to build up are because of cancer or serious liver disease.

Another possibility is a very large tumor in the abdomen.

By far the best thing you can do is have your vet take a look and determine what is going on.

I hope he is ok.

Vomiting yellow liquid. Maynard has been vomiting up yellowish urine colored liquid a few time in the last... (7851 views)

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (10978 views)

Swollen face after tooth removal. Two months ago, Chuck (our elderly dog who's become more and more aggressive when... (21859 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (70380 views)

Pink bumps on dog. My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a... (32399 views)

Will spay terminate pregnancy? It is a possibility my dog might be pregnant. But my mom wants to get her spayed... (13077 views)

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (5424 views)

Lumps on dog's neck. My dog keeps getting small red lumps on his body especially over the back of his... (10499 views)

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (13035 views)

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (25085 views)