Large abdomen in cat.

Breed: orange tabby
We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly which appeared within 2 weeks. Several months ago we started adding 1/2 can of wet food per day to his diet in an effort to help him gian weight, but stopped that several weeks ago when we saw his belly growing. His belly however, has not stopped growing.

It sounds like it is time for a vet visit. Unfortunately when an older cat starts to get a large belly it is usually a sign of something serious.

It can be a build up of fluid. The most common reasons for fluid to build up are because of cancer or serious liver disease.

Another possibility is a very large tumor in the abdomen.

By far the best thing you can do is have your vet take a look and determine what is going on.

I hope he is ok.

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (27426 views)

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (13071 views)

Can't move back legs. My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she... (32322 views)

Histolytica in cats. My cat has low levels of histolytica. I was informed it was common and not necessary... (4965 views)

Possibly hip dysplasia. Dear Dr. Marie, I recently had to put my dog down as he was only two and a half... (8228 views)

Orange urine in a dog. I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He... (8823 views)

Improper tail docking? I just acquired my puppy from a backyard breeder who I was told cut off the puppies... (8865 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (9236 views)

Guinea pig lifespan. Hi! Just wanna know, whats the life span of a guinea... (9556 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hey Dr. Marie (and Happy Holidays!) I noticed about a week ago while petting my... (41026 views)