Large abdomen in cat.

Breed: orange tabby
We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly which appeared within 2 weeks. Several months ago we started adding 1/2 can of wet food per day to his diet in an effort to help him gian weight, but stopped that several weeks ago when we saw his belly growing. His belly however, has not stopped growing.

It sounds like it is time for a vet visit. Unfortunately when an older cat starts to get a large belly it is usually a sign of something serious.

It can be a build up of fluid. The most common reasons for fluid to build up are because of cancer or serious liver disease.

Another possibility is a very large tumor in the abdomen.

By far the best thing you can do is have your vet take a look and determine what is going on.

I hope he is ok.

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (5267 views)

Arthritis medicine for dogs. Zoey recently has been having trouble walking. I think it may be her hips? She does... (6293 views)

Trifexis overdose? I think my Beagle gulped down my Coonhound's Trifexis dose. The Beage just had his... (26777 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (114266 views)

Mast Cell tumor? This past Saturday afternoon I was petting my dog and I noticed a small bump under... (20965 views)

Kidney disease in a cat. First of all I am asking you because I am under extreme financial constraints right... (24858 views)

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (9800 views)

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (44537 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (9211 views)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (56019 views)