Wheezing then died.

Breed: Mixed breed
We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just had a baby. the day before Christmas eve we found him dead by the recliner. the night before he seemed a little depressed and lethargic i hadn't noticed any changes in his appetite but i did notice about 4 weeks before he had a bit of diarrhea, not sure if it was related or not. I examined him some the night before he died and he has a slight wheeze but i wasn't positive if it was a wheeze or him purring. I have another cat who has had respiratory infections and I thought i could tell the symptoms. I am very upset and worried my other cats will get sick too. do you have any suggestions on what to do and why my George might have passed away?

I'm very sorry to hear about your cat.

The most common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is a condition called hyperthrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). This is a condition that cats can be born with that causes the muscle wall of the heart to be too thick. When the heart starts to fail we can see breathing issues like you described. Or, some cats will just suddenly die.

There are other possibilities, but that is the most likely.

So sorry for your loss.

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (6464 views)

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (9916 views)

Allergic reaction. Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. ... (55608 views)

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (13729 views)

Dog ate foam padding. Hi Dr, At 9pm last nite Max chewed open an office chair. He managed to swallow... (91399 views)

Can a dog transmit HIV or hep c Hello, I know you've had a similar question before but I'm unsure about... (62331 views)

Incontinent after exercise. Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have... (17883 views)

Pregnant cat is vomiting. My cat got out and didn't come home for about a month. When she got out she was in... (18365 views)

Time for euthanasia? My dog Juliet is 12 1/2 years old. She is a black lab with Addison's disease which... (13593 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (6757 views)