Wheezing then died.

Breed: Mixed breed
We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just had a baby. the day before Christmas eve we found him dead by the recliner. the night before he seemed a little depressed and lethargic i hadn't noticed any changes in his appetite but i did notice about 4 weeks before he had a bit of diarrhea, not sure if it was related or not. I examined him some the night before he died and he has a slight wheeze but i wasn't positive if it was a wheeze or him purring. I have another cat who has had respiratory infections and I thought i could tell the symptoms. I am very upset and worried my other cats will get sick too. do you have any suggestions on what to do and why my George might have passed away?

I'm very sorry to hear about your cat.

The most common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is a condition called hyperthrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). This is a condition that cats can be born with that causes the muscle wall of the heart to be too thick. When the heart starts to fail we can see breathing issues like you described. Or, some cats will just suddenly die.

There are other possibilities, but that is the most likely.

So sorry for your loss.

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (33634 views)

Lump under arm of puppy. We have a 10 week old puppy. He got his first set of vaccinations one week ago. ... (15717 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (16332 views)

Can a spayed cat get pregnant? OK its OK if you don't answer but be for you look away please im 12 and my cat is... (21343 views)

Dog biting at tail. I just noticed earlier today Sept. 29th that my Husky has chunks of hair missing... (32499 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (10396 views)

Not eating or drinking because lonely? i have a puppy i've had her in the backyard now my sister had an inspection at her... (7871 views)

Dog ate sanitary pad About a month ago my dog got into the trash and chewed up some sanitary napkins. He ... (5739 views)

Did cat die from eating fertilizer? Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he... (10643 views)

Diarrhea with blood. my dog, i just recently changed his dog food. and i got home and saw diarrhea... (23599 views)