Wheezing then died.

Breed: Mixed breed
We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just had a baby. the day before Christmas eve we found him dead by the recliner. the night before he seemed a little depressed and lethargic i hadn't noticed any changes in his appetite but i did notice about 4 weeks before he had a bit of diarrhea, not sure if it was related or not. I examined him some the night before he died and he has a slight wheeze but i wasn't positive if it was a wheeze or him purring. I have another cat who has had respiratory infections and I thought i could tell the symptoms. I am very upset and worried my other cats will get sick too. do you have any suggestions on what to do and why my George might have passed away?

I'm very sorry to hear about your cat.

The most common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is a condition called hyperthrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). This is a condition that cats can be born with that causes the muscle wall of the heart to be too thick. When the heart starts to fail we can see breathing issues like you described. Or, some cats will just suddenly die.

There are other possibilities, but that is the most likely.

So sorry for your loss.

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (53145 views)

ibuprofen for arthritis? my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest,... (10948 views)

Puppy and adult dog vomiting. Our 8 yr old lab became ill about 2 weeks ago with occassional vomiting, diarrhea,... (5911 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (10437 views)

Prognosis if dog has pulmonary edema. Hello Dr. Marie, I´m from Brazil, so, first of all I´m sorry about my poor... (13699 views)

Different pupil sizes in older cat. I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other... (28996 views)

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (27372 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (11665 views)

Arthritis in elbow. My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has... (17004 views)

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (6646 views)