Wheezing then died.

Breed: Mixed breed
We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just had a baby. the day before Christmas eve we found him dead by the recliner. the night before he seemed a little depressed and lethargic i hadn't noticed any changes in his appetite but i did notice about 4 weeks before he had a bit of diarrhea, not sure if it was related or not. I examined him some the night before he died and he has a slight wheeze but i wasn't positive if it was a wheeze or him purring. I have another cat who has had respiratory infections and I thought i could tell the symptoms. I am very upset and worried my other cats will get sick too. do you have any suggestions on what to do and why my George might have passed away?

I'm very sorry to hear about your cat.

The most common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is a condition called hyperthrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). This is a condition that cats can be born with that causes the muscle wall of the heart to be too thick. When the heart starts to fail we can see breathing issues like you described. Or, some cats will just suddenly die.

There are other possibilities, but that is the most likely.

So sorry for your loss.

Wheatgrass for cats? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a question for Fei Meow again. As Fei Meow is very happy... (22133 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (8953 views)

Trifexis overdose. My approx 4-5lb teacup Pomeranian ate HALF of the Trifexis meant for a 60-120lb dog... (4886 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (26501 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (5604 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (14860 views)

Red bumps on belly. My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has a few red bumps on his belly(mostly around his... (12818 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (29945 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (7815 views)

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (24473 views)