Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Wheezing then died.

Species: Cat
Breed: Mixed breed
Age: 1-2 years
We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just had a baby. the day before Christmas eve we found him dead by the recliner. the night before he seemed a little depressed and lethargic i hadn't noticed any changes in his appetite but i did notice about 4 weeks before he had a bit of diarrhea, not sure if it was related or not. I examined him some the night before he died and he has a slight wheeze but i wasn't positive if it was a wheeze or him purring. I have another cat who has had respiratory infections and I thought i could tell the symptoms. I am very upset and worried my other cats will get sick too. do you have any suggestions on what to do and why my George might have passed away?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

I'm very sorry to hear about your cat.

The most common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is a condition called hyperthrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). This is a condition that cats can be born with that causes the muscle wall of the heart to be too thick. When the heart starts to fail we can see breathing issues like you described. Or, some cats will just suddenly die.

There are other possibilities, but that is the most likely.

So sorry for your loss.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Peeing outside of box. My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter... (9380 views)

Wound on ear won't heal. My puppy accidentally scratched her inner ear, the wound scabbed over but now she... (20156 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (10475 views)

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (51026 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi there, Ive recently found out I am pregnant (6 weeks) and wanted some advice... (17389 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (26710 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (42746 views)

Red gums next to baby teeth. Hi Dr, This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded... (15289 views)

Dog urinating in house. hey my 5 year old staff has started urinating in the house she has never done this... (13291 views)

Sunscreen for cats and dogs. My cat is a white cat and he loves to lounge in the sun. I was wondering if you... (16868 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.