Debris on cat's eye.

Breed: mix/shorthair
Good afternoon! My cat seems to be having eye issues. 6 months ago I took her to the vet for a white spot on the lower inside surface of her right eye (right side when you're looking at her). The vet said it looked like an abrasion, not a cataract, and gave me antibiotic drops (neomycin). The spot is still there and now she also has a similar spot on the lower inside of the surface of her left eye. She also has a thin layer of brownish funky stuff on the inside corner of both of her eyes (worse on her left one) that isn't her third eyelid. She has no discharge, swelling, or redness, and though her right eye seemed to bother her every once in awhile 6 months ago (squinting for 10 - 15 minutes at a time every few days), now, neither eye seems to be giving her any pain.
She was the daughter of a stray and I did see online that strays can tend to get cataracts. She can see fine to catch toys out of mid air, but she has trouble seeing treats if they're on our dark kitchen carpet. I have pics from 6 months ago and both eyes are getting worse, so I guess my question is do you have a guess as to what's wrong and am I right in thinking I should take her maybe to a veterinary opthamologist rather than my regular vet? Thank you!!

Thank you for the excellent pictures you have sent. Stitch is a beautiful cat! She reminds me of my cat Paisley.

Here is the picture from 6 months ago:

mild keratitis

And here are the pictures from now. I've zoomed in on the eye for one of these:

feline keratitis

herpes or eosinophilic keratitis in a cat

Now, I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet but I can give you my thoughts and you can have some good questions to ask your vet.

The first photo, from the summer time kind of does look like there is some type of a scar or abrasion. I likely would have made the same conclusion. However, the more recent photos do not look like an abrasion.

My guess is that this is either eosinophilic keratitis or herpes keratitis. Quite often we don't know the cause for this but it can be because of a herpes virus. Don't worry, it's not contagious to people at all.

The only way to get a diagnosis for this is to have your vet apply a topical anesthetic and scrape a few cells from the eye. It sounds gross, but cats tolerate it well.

We usually use a steroid drop to treat this. But some cat will need anti-viral drops in the eye.

It really should be treated even if it is not seeming to be bothersome because it can get much worse.

Unfortunately for many cats this can be a lifelong condition but it is usually controlled well with medication.

I'd recommend you see your vet soon and ask about the possibility of keratitis.

Well that's a relief! It would be great if this is something we can treat with just drops, even if I always have to give them to her :-) She and I have a great relationship and she was really good for me when I gave her the antibiotic drops,. I can even do without a second person holding her! Thank you so much for the tips, I will take her to my vet this week!
-Tracy

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (10173 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (78394 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (119145 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (16926 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (118211 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (12028 views)

Red spots on dog's back. my dog scraches all the time i use oatmeal based shampoo--even given her phenergan... (5227 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (5604 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (22409 views)

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (6532 views)