Debris on cat's eye.

Breed: mix/shorthair
Good afternoon! My cat seems to be having eye issues. 6 months ago I took her to the vet for a white spot on the lower inside surface of her right eye (right side when you're looking at her). The vet said it looked like an abrasion, not a cataract, and gave me antibiotic drops (neomycin). The spot is still there and now she also has a similar spot on the lower inside of the surface of her left eye. She also has a thin layer of brownish funky stuff on the inside corner of both of her eyes (worse on her left one) that isn't her third eyelid. She has no discharge, swelling, or redness, and though her right eye seemed to bother her every once in awhile 6 months ago (squinting for 10 - 15 minutes at a time every few days), now, neither eye seems to be giving her any pain.
She was the daughter of a stray and I did see online that strays can tend to get cataracts. She can see fine to catch toys out of mid air, but she has trouble seeing treats if they're on our dark kitchen carpet. I have pics from 6 months ago and both eyes are getting worse, so I guess my question is do you have a guess as to what's wrong and am I right in thinking I should take her maybe to a veterinary opthamologist rather than my regular vet? Thank you!!

Thank you for the excellent pictures you have sent. Stitch is a beautiful cat! She reminds me of my cat Paisley.

Here is the picture from 6 months ago:

mild keratitis

And here are the pictures from now. I've zoomed in on the eye for one of these:

feline keratitis

herpes or eosinophilic keratitis in a cat

Now, I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet but I can give you my thoughts and you can have some good questions to ask your vet.

The first photo, from the summer time kind of does look like there is some type of a scar or abrasion. I likely would have made the same conclusion. However, the more recent photos do not look like an abrasion.

My guess is that this is either eosinophilic keratitis or herpes keratitis. Quite often we don't know the cause for this but it can be because of a herpes virus. Don't worry, it's not contagious to people at all.

The only way to get a diagnosis for this is to have your vet apply a topical anesthetic and scrape a few cells from the eye. It sounds gross, but cats tolerate it well.

We usually use a steroid drop to treat this. But some cat will need anti-viral drops in the eye.

It really should be treated even if it is not seeming to be bothersome because it can get much worse.

Unfortunately for many cats this can be a lifelong condition but it is usually controlled well with medication.

I'd recommend you see your vet soon and ask about the possibility of keratitis.

Well that's a relief! It would be great if this is something we can treat with just drops, even if I always have to give them to her :-) She and I have a great relationship and she was really good for me when I gave her the antibiotic drops,. I can even do without a second person holding her! Thank you so much for the tips, I will take her to my vet this week!
-Tracy

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (38514 views)

Quiet, sneezing dog. My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still... (21520 views)

Lump on my dog. Hello Dr. Marie, I sincerely hope that this is real, and that if it is and you... (34425 views)

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (5240 views)

Painful after grooming. My dog, Codey (6 yr old rescue cockapoo) went to the groomer yesterday to get... (16548 views)

Crying after using litter box. After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange... (25692 views)

Lumps on hamster. Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones... (9621 views)

Fever and dizziness in older dog. Dear Dr. Marie, Kodi is a 15 years old Labrador, he is very active and love to... (4925 views)

Costco Kirkland flea product Hello We have 2 American Bulldogs. We have been using Frontline for a few years... (12758 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (20404 views)