Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Charcoal briquette

Species: Dog
Breed: Yorkie
Age: 6-12 months
My Yorkie, male-6 pounds, was in the garden where my husband threw burn, self-lighting charcoal briquets. Not sure if he ingested one, but he had one in his mouth. This pup had been digging back there and licking something for the last couple of days, now I know what! I am frantic. Will this hurt him?
Thank you! Please help!


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

It always amazes me what dogs will but in their mouths!

I have good news for you...it is very unlikely that Winston will be harmed at all.

Charcoal briquettes are not toxic at all to dogs. (If a dog was to swallow a whole one it could get obstructed in his intestines though).

The self-lighting kind of briquettes do contain some petroleum product. If enough of this is eaten it can cause some mild stomach upset. But, it is not going to be serious.

If your dog just had one in his mouth it's not going to cause him any problems.

Of course, I always add a little disclaimer...if you think he is not feeling well - vomiting, diarrhea, not wanting to eat then it's a good idea to have your vet take a look at him. But, I would be very surprised if this happened.


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Diarrhea and pale gums in a kitten. My cat has dirra for about two week i have notice his gum is pale pink what should... (9926 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (10188 views)

My dog eats too fast. My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating,... (26196 views)

Yellow vaginal discharge. my female cat has yellow vaginal discharge what does this mean? is it a sign of... (12529 views)

Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cats. My cat is aged 9. She was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is... (33064 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (5614 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (18712 views)

Vomiting and balance issues. my dog is losing her equalibreum and was throwing up yellow stomach bile.her poop is... (22660 views)

7 week old puppies have fleas. my puppy is getting eatin alive by fleas he is only 7 weeks old and is a very tiny... (9572 views)

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (7987 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.