Charcoal briquette

Breed: Yorkie
My Yorkie, male-6 pounds, was in the garden where my husband threw burn, self-lighting charcoal briquets. Not sure if he ingested one, but he had one in his mouth. This pup had been digging back there and licking something for the last couple of days, now I know what! I am frantic. Will this hurt him?
Thank you! Please help!

It always amazes me what dogs will but in their mouths!

I have good news for you...it is very unlikely that Winston will be harmed at all.

Charcoal briquettes are not toxic at all to dogs. (If a dog was to swallow a whole one it could get obstructed in his intestines though).

The self-lighting kind of briquettes do contain some petroleum product. If enough of this is eaten it can cause some mild stomach upset. But, it is not going to be serious.

If your dog just had one in his mouth it's not going to cause him any problems.

Of course, I always add a little disclaimer...if you think he is not feeling well - vomiting, diarrhea, not wanting to eat then it's a good idea to have your vet take a look at him. But, I would be very surprised if this happened.

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (6961 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (3986 views)

Hypoallergenic dogs. Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I... (6399 views)

Lump on ferret's face. My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now... (8161 views)

Cat with hyperthyroidism. Hi again! I spoke to you last week regarding the bad behavior of my cat. She has... (21184 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (9462 views)

Kittens not eating or nursing My cat had 5 kittens 5 weeks ago. Recently, she has stopped feeding them and taking... (12100 views)

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (4931 views)

Sterile nodular panniculitis? Hi, My dog has a patch of nodules on his neck. I took him to our normal vet five... (27826 views)

Dog limping. My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk... (9533 views)