Charcoal briquette

Breed: Yorkie
My Yorkie, male-6 pounds, was in the garden where my husband threw burn, self-lighting charcoal briquets. Not sure if he ingested one, but he had one in his mouth. This pup had been digging back there and licking something for the last couple of days, now I know what! I am frantic. Will this hurt him?
Thank you! Please help!

It always amazes me what dogs will but in their mouths!

I have good news for you...it is very unlikely that Winston will be harmed at all.

Charcoal briquettes are not toxic at all to dogs. (If a dog was to swallow a whole one it could get obstructed in his intestines though).

The self-lighting kind of briquettes do contain some petroleum product. If enough of this is eaten it can cause some mild stomach upset. But, it is not going to be serious.

If your dog just had one in his mouth it's not going to cause him any problems.

Of course, I always add a little disclaimer...if you think he is not feeling well - vomiting, diarrhea, not wanting to eat then it's a good idea to have your vet take a look at him. But, I would be very surprised if this happened.

Dog losing chunks of fur. My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns... (9808 views)

Licking his penis. my indoor cat is constantly going to his litter box about every 10 mins or so and... (10419 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (6763 views)

Dog biting his own penis. I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken... (61265 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (7449 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (39806 views)

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (11628 views)

Antibiotics for stuffed up nose. Hello again Dr. Marie, writing again about our dog Sparky and have some questions.... (5889 views)

Dogs with occasional diarrhea. I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5... (32845 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (6575 views)