Charcoal briquette

Breed: Yorkie
My Yorkie, male-6 pounds, was in the garden where my husband threw burn, self-lighting charcoal briquets. Not sure if he ingested one, but he had one in his mouth. This pup had been digging back there and licking something for the last couple of days, now I know what! I am frantic. Will this hurt him?
Thank you! Please help!

It always amazes me what dogs will but in their mouths!

I have good news for you...it is very unlikely that Winston will be harmed at all.

Charcoal briquettes are not toxic at all to dogs. (If a dog was to swallow a whole one it could get obstructed in his intestines though).

The self-lighting kind of briquettes do contain some petroleum product. If enough of this is eaten it can cause some mild stomach upset. But, it is not going to be serious.

If your dog just had one in his mouth it's not going to cause him any problems.

Of course, I always add a little disclaimer...if you think he is not feeling well - vomiting, diarrhea, not wanting to eat then it's a good idea to have your vet take a look at him. But, I would be very surprised if this happened.

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (11731 views)

Cat is eating less and vomiting. Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he... (5252 views)

Megacolon cat with problems. Addie was diagnosed with megacolon at age 2. The vet prescribed medications - I... (9087 views)

Large mammary glands. Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in... (10634 views)

Chronic and acute kidney disease. My dog is a 3 and half year old toy poodle. About 3 month before, he was diagnosed... (8935 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (10013 views)

Skin infection is back. Hello Doctor, My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as... (8465 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (11101 views)

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (9391 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (6677 views)