Red bumps on puppy's belly.

Breed: Border Collie
Hi, our Border Collie puppy has these red bumps on her belly. They are real red and the center of some of them come to a head that are like pimples. The heads are white and look like the have puss in them or like they could be popped. (not that I want to try that)! They don't seem to be bothering her but they sure look like they would as red as they are. The ones that come to a head and are white have a small red area around them most are only about a quarter of an inch wide counting the red area but one of them that does not have a head and just looks raw is about a half inch wide. If I can find a way to attach a picture I will. I just don't want it to be something that my kids could catch as she is around them all the time. What do you think?

Thanks for your question and thanks for sending your picture:

bumps on belly

The most common reason for a puppy to have bumps on her belly is something called "puppy pyoderma". If this is what it is then it is absolutely nothing to worry about and will go away on its own.

The next possibility is that it is a bacterial skin infection. This is not really common in puppies. And, usually if there is a skin infection it is really itchy. So, if Bella is not bothering with the areas then this is probably not what is going on.

If it was summer time I would say that these could be mosquito bites, but that is not likely at this time of the year.

Remember, an online visit is not a substitute for an in person visit with your vet. So, if this is not getting better within a couple of weeks, or if it starts to get bothersome, or if your gut is just telling you "something is wrong" then it is a good idea to have your vet take a look.

The chances of this being something that is contagious to your children are really small.

Should I neuter him? My male chihuahua follows my female Lhasa Apso all around the house. The Lhasa does... (6466 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (52750 views)

Coughing chihuahua My chihuahua has had an intermittent cough since roughly last year when she had most... (14635 views)

Can't bear weight. This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog... (7103 views)

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (8752 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (5297 views)

URTI in cats. Hi I have got 2 cats, Xena 1,6 years and Nemo, a kitten 12 weeks. When the Nemo... (12256 views)

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (10549 views)

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (4783 views)

Lumps on belly Hello, Dr. Marie: I noticed some small bumps on my dog's bladder on/near the site... (17480 views)