Red bumps on puppy's belly.

Breed: Border Collie
Hi, our Border Collie puppy has these red bumps on her belly. They are real red and the center of some of them come to a head that are like pimples. The heads are white and look like the have puss in them or like they could be popped. (not that I want to try that)! They don't seem to be bothering her but they sure look like they would as red as they are. The ones that come to a head and are white have a small red area around them most are only about a quarter of an inch wide counting the red area but one of them that does not have a head and just looks raw is about a half inch wide. If I can find a way to attach a picture I will. I just don't want it to be something that my kids could catch as she is around them all the time. What do you think?

Thanks for your question and thanks for sending your picture:

bumps on belly

The most common reason for a puppy to have bumps on her belly is something called "puppy pyoderma". If this is what it is then it is absolutely nothing to worry about and will go away on its own.

The next possibility is that it is a bacterial skin infection. This is not really common in puppies. And, usually if there is a skin infection it is really itchy. So, if Bella is not bothering with the areas then this is probably not what is going on.

If it was summer time I would say that these could be mosquito bites, but that is not likely at this time of the year.

Remember, an online visit is not a substitute for an in person visit with your vet. So, if this is not getting better within a couple of weeks, or if it starts to get bothersome, or if your gut is just telling you "something is wrong" then it is a good idea to have your vet take a look.

The chances of this being something that is contagious to your children are really small.

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (8121 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (57631 views)

Crusty ears and very itchy. i have a boston terrier that just turned 1 year old (female). at 6 months i took her... (5842 views)

Dog throws up 3-5 times per week. Max is active & playful. He's a picky eater but seems to eat enough and drinks... (11162 views)

Puppy has 6-8 bowel movements per day. My 7 month old dog has 6 - 8 bowel movements per day. Most are well formed, some... (11019 views)

Immune mediated disease. Our dog was taken to the vet on July 3rd after 2 days of lethargy and falling over... (10417 views)

arthritis in 17 year old dog I have a 17 year old female german shepard/black lab/collie mix that weighs 45... (48782 views)

Raw skin on nose. My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him... (3237 views)

Bleeding after biopsy. My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we... (8581 views)

Cat with bloody diarrhea iam also a vet from pakistan.i want to ask that if a cat has bloody diarrhoea;wat i... (5292 views)