Red bumps on puppy's belly.

Breed: Border Collie
Hi, our Border Collie puppy has these red bumps on her belly. They are real red and the center of some of them come to a head that are like pimples. The heads are white and look like the have puss in them or like they could be popped. (not that I want to try that)! They don't seem to be bothering her but they sure look like they would as red as they are. The ones that come to a head and are white have a small red area around them most are only about a quarter of an inch wide counting the red area but one of them that does not have a head and just looks raw is about a half inch wide. If I can find a way to attach a picture I will. I just don't want it to be something that my kids could catch as she is around them all the time. What do you think?

Thanks for your question and thanks for sending your picture:

bumps on belly

The most common reason for a puppy to have bumps on her belly is something called "puppy pyoderma". If this is what it is then it is absolutely nothing to worry about and will go away on its own.

The next possibility is that it is a bacterial skin infection. This is not really common in puppies. And, usually if there is a skin infection it is really itchy. So, if Bella is not bothering with the areas then this is probably not what is going on.

If it was summer time I would say that these could be mosquito bites, but that is not likely at this time of the year.

Remember, an online visit is not a substitute for an in person visit with your vet. So, if this is not getting better within a couple of weeks, or if it starts to get bothersome, or if your gut is just telling you "something is wrong" then it is a good idea to have your vet take a look.

The chances of this being something that is contagious to your children are really small.

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (8248 views)

Toenail problems. We adopted Tiger (62lb what appears to be shepard/boxer mix) in May and about a... (6226 views)

Dog coughing. We let our dog do her business in the backyard. However, we are currently in the... (43251 views)

Weak legs on Coton deTulear. Hi! I have an 8 month old Coton de Tulear that I acquired through a very... (5179 views)

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (3776 views)

Infected wound? Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head... (2559 views)

Dog has liver cancer. Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do... (20295 views)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (28842 views)

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (9960 views)

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (11167 views)