Puppy with crystals.

Breed: Golden Retriever
our registered golden retriever,Ginger, had a litter of puppies a few months ago(no prior health problems with our sire/dam & one set of grandparents we own; grandparents are OFA hip certified)...one of these pup's owners called to tell us their pup, "jake" has "crystals" in the urine/tendency towards stones (doesn't have stones now) and bacterial infection..they tried dietary change & now medicines but crystals are still present...she complains of vet costs & inquiring about our responsibility..what is the cause of this--she says genetic? is it possible to pinpoint accurately the cause of this case? as I stated, no prior history of this with our dogs, nor have we heard from any prior puppies/litters with any health problems...she also is inquiring very detailed about the care of our dogs/and during the Ginger's pregnancy..& will be contacting our vet too...ould any of this be a cause? thank you!!!

I have seen a number of puppies with struvite crystals in their urine. Often we can't figure out why. Almost every time the problem resolves on its own. But it can take some time.

I just did some research for you and there is no known genetic reason for puppies to get this. So, it is very unlikely that this is due to a breeding problem.

The only possible reason I could think for this to be because of a genetic problem would be if there was something like an ectopic ureter. If a dog had this condition then they would leak urine a lot. The constant leaking can predispose a puppy to get infections. Dogs with infections will have an increase in the pH of their urine which can cause crystals.

You may want to ask if their vet has suspected an ectopic ureter. If so, then yes, this could be a genetic condition.

I have a few thoughts for you on the situation. Do you know if the infection was diagnosed by culturing the urine? Sometimes it can look like a puppy has an infection but they really don't.

One other thing I wanted to comment on was the fact that she was going to be contacting your vet. Just so you know, your vet will not release any information to her because this information is confidential between the vet and you.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry that you are going through this tough situation!

Dog drinking less water. Over the past week, my dog has been drinking less water than usual. She usually... (15468 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (65589 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (33160 views)

Dog licks my nose. Hi, Luci was diagnosed with Lymphoma and also had 3 Mast Cell tumors removed back... (46480 views)

Cat with coccidia My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she... (7935 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (11665 views)

Dog jealous over owner. My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend... (20560 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (6963 views)

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (10592 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (14937 views)