Puppy with crystals.

Breed: Golden Retriever
our registered golden retriever,Ginger, had a litter of puppies a few months ago(no prior health problems with our sire/dam & one set of grandparents we own; grandparents are OFA hip certified)...one of these pup's owners called to tell us their pup, "jake" has "crystals" in the urine/tendency towards stones (doesn't have stones now) and bacterial infection..they tried dietary change & now medicines but crystals are still present...she complains of vet costs & inquiring about our responsibility..what is the cause of this--she says genetic? is it possible to pinpoint accurately the cause of this case? as I stated, no prior history of this with our dogs, nor have we heard from any prior puppies/litters with any health problems...she also is inquiring very detailed about the care of our dogs/and during the Ginger's pregnancy..& will be contacting our vet too...ould any of this be a cause? thank you!!!

I have seen a number of puppies with struvite crystals in their urine. Often we can't figure out why. Almost every time the problem resolves on its own. But it can take some time.

I just did some research for you and there is no known genetic reason for puppies to get this. So, it is very unlikely that this is due to a breeding problem.

The only possible reason I could think for this to be because of a genetic problem would be if there was something like an ectopic ureter. If a dog had this condition then they would leak urine a lot. The constant leaking can predispose a puppy to get infections. Dogs with infections will have an increase in the pH of their urine which can cause crystals.

You may want to ask if their vet has suspected an ectopic ureter. If so, then yes, this could be a genetic condition.

I have a few thoughts for you on the situation. Do you know if the infection was diagnosed by culturing the urine? Sometimes it can look like a puppy has an infection but they really don't.

One other thing I wanted to comment on was the fact that she was going to be contacting your vet. Just so you know, your vet will not release any information to her because this information is confidential between the vet and you.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry that you are going through this tough situation!

Where can I buy Tramadol? Steve has a degenerative disease.He is doing well.I give him steroids almost every... (57383 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (11253 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (10003 views)

Abscess? Hi Would you please be able to answer my question.. Wednesday Night I Heard two... (8974 views)

Swollen ear. My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear,... (15368 views)

Heart rate for a cat. Dear Dr.Marie I was just wondering THE TRUTH behind what a cats average heart... (13893 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (8683 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (11916 views)

Why do cats lick plastic? I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me... (30554 views)

What does rat poison look like? I live in a town right outside of Boston, MA. We recently got a lot of snow, so they... (22177 views)