Puppy with crystals.

Breed: Golden Retriever
our registered golden retriever,Ginger, had a litter of puppies a few months ago(no prior health problems with our sire/dam & one set of grandparents we own; grandparents are OFA hip certified)...one of these pup's owners called to tell us their pup, "jake" has "crystals" in the urine/tendency towards stones (doesn't have stones now) and bacterial infection..they tried dietary change & now medicines but crystals are still present...she complains of vet costs & inquiring about our responsibility..what is the cause of this--she says genetic? is it possible to pinpoint accurately the cause of this case? as I stated, no prior history of this with our dogs, nor have we heard from any prior puppies/litters with any health problems...she also is inquiring very detailed about the care of our dogs/and during the Ginger's pregnancy..& will be contacting our vet too...ould any of this be a cause? thank you!!!

I have seen a number of puppies with struvite crystals in their urine. Often we can't figure out why. Almost every time the problem resolves on its own. But it can take some time.

I just did some research for you and there is no known genetic reason for puppies to get this. So, it is very unlikely that this is due to a breeding problem.

The only possible reason I could think for this to be because of a genetic problem would be if there was something like an ectopic ureter. If a dog had this condition then they would leak urine a lot. The constant leaking can predispose a puppy to get infections. Dogs with infections will have an increase in the pH of their urine which can cause crystals.

You may want to ask if their vet has suspected an ectopic ureter. If so, then yes, this could be a genetic condition.

I have a few thoughts for you on the situation. Do you know if the infection was diagnosed by culturing the urine? Sometimes it can look like a puppy has an infection but they really don't.

One other thing I wanted to comment on was the fact that she was going to be contacting your vet. Just so you know, your vet will not release any information to her because this information is confidential between the vet and you.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry that you are going through this tough situation!

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (15304 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (9611 views)

Extreme chattering. Hello my senior dog/male neutered/mutt (not sure how old..in the teens) has a... (16947 views)

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (19893 views)

Seizures and not eating. Earlier in the week Cash had a pee/poop/vomit fest in the house, unusual for him. ... (7791 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (262811 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (10714 views)

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (9645 views)

Mesenchymal tumor Need some input. My dog (she's 6)had developed a small lump/bump on her head above... (8026 views)

Licking at bum and feet. My 12 year old female cat started having anal gland issues over a year ago. After... (7072 views)