Puppy with crystals.

Breed: Golden Retriever
our registered golden retriever,Ginger, had a litter of puppies a few months ago(no prior health problems with our sire/dam & one set of grandparents we own; grandparents are OFA hip certified)...one of these pup's owners called to tell us their pup, "jake" has "crystals" in the urine/tendency towards stones (doesn't have stones now) and bacterial infection..they tried dietary change & now medicines but crystals are still present...she complains of vet costs & inquiring about our responsibility..what is the cause of this--she says genetic? is it possible to pinpoint accurately the cause of this case? as I stated, no prior history of this with our dogs, nor have we heard from any prior puppies/litters with any health problems...she also is inquiring very detailed about the care of our dogs/and during the Ginger's pregnancy..& will be contacting our vet too...ould any of this be a cause? thank you!!!

I have seen a number of puppies with struvite crystals in their urine. Often we can't figure out why. Almost every time the problem resolves on its own. But it can take some time.

I just did some research for you and there is no known genetic reason for puppies to get this. So, it is very unlikely that this is due to a breeding problem.

The only possible reason I could think for this to be because of a genetic problem would be if there was something like an ectopic ureter. If a dog had this condition then they would leak urine a lot. The constant leaking can predispose a puppy to get infections. Dogs with infections will have an increase in the pH of their urine which can cause crystals.

You may want to ask if their vet has suspected an ectopic ureter. If so, then yes, this could be a genetic condition.

I have a few thoughts for you on the situation. Do you know if the infection was diagnosed by culturing the urine? Sometimes it can look like a puppy has an infection but they really don't.

One other thing I wanted to comment on was the fact that she was going to be contacting your vet. Just so you know, your vet will not release any information to her because this information is confidential between the vet and you.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry that you are going through this tough situation!

Trouble going to the bathroom. First off i want to say i really wish i could do the paid option so i could for sure... (8578 views)

Spay older dog? Hi Vet My dog is 9 years old & has never been mated. She is healthy & does not have... (9860 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (19747 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (18318 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (8222 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (23716 views)

Howling at night time. My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In... (10443 views)

Lumps on hamster. Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones... (10084 views)

Male dog lost weight when female in heat. My American Bulldog male always loses weight when our female goes into heat because... (23228 views)

Trembling chihuahua. SHE HAS BEEN TREMBLING FOR 2 DAYS AND HAS NOT EATEN FOR FOR 2 DAYS. OTHERWISE SHE... (9338 views)