Puppy with crystals.

Breed: Golden Retriever
our registered golden retriever,Ginger, had a litter of puppies a few months ago(no prior health problems with our sire/dam & one set of grandparents we own; grandparents are OFA hip certified)...one of these pup's owners called to tell us their pup, "jake" has "crystals" in the urine/tendency towards stones (doesn't have stones now) and bacterial infection..they tried dietary change & now medicines but crystals are still present...she complains of vet costs & inquiring about our responsibility..what is the cause of this--she says genetic? is it possible to pinpoint accurately the cause of this case? as I stated, no prior history of this with our dogs, nor have we heard from any prior puppies/litters with any health problems...she also is inquiring very detailed about the care of our dogs/and during the Ginger's pregnancy..& will be contacting our vet too...ould any of this be a cause? thank you!!!

I have seen a number of puppies with struvite crystals in their urine. Often we can't figure out why. Almost every time the problem resolves on its own. But it can take some time.

I just did some research for you and there is no known genetic reason for puppies to get this. So, it is very unlikely that this is due to a breeding problem.

The only possible reason I could think for this to be because of a genetic problem would be if there was something like an ectopic ureter. If a dog had this condition then they would leak urine a lot. The constant leaking can predispose a puppy to get infections. Dogs with infections will have an increase in the pH of their urine which can cause crystals.

You may want to ask if their vet has suspected an ectopic ureter. If so, then yes, this could be a genetic condition.

I have a few thoughts for you on the situation. Do you know if the infection was diagnosed by culturing the urine? Sometimes it can look like a puppy has an infection but they really don't.

One other thing I wanted to comment on was the fact that she was going to be contacting your vet. Just so you know, your vet will not release any information to her because this information is confidential between the vet and you.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry that you are going through this tough situation!

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (11431 views)

Kitten is walking funny. Recently I have noticed that our new addition to the family has been walking... (13398 views)

Trouble with back legs. I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs.... (36012 views)

Does cat have cancer? Dear Dr Marie, I am sending this letter in order to ask your advice about the... (12542 views)

Vomiting and trouble with urination and stool. My 5 year old goldendoodle vomited (not food regurgitation) this morning, is trying... (22555 views)

Dog scared of people. Hi My dog is very scared of people. she is a year old and has been scared of new... (10656 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (15235 views)

Dog drinking and panting lots. my dog has been drinking and panting a lot since i changed his dog food last summer.... (12608 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (56569 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (66627 views)