Male rabbits mounting.

Breed: mini lop rabbit
i have just got two babay rabbits that should be both 10 weeks old male and brothers. Today sweep, who is bigger than scamp, has started to consistantly hump scamp. What should i do? am really worried. I've never had house rabbits before? s this normal? should i seperate them? etc

Hi and thanks for your question.

What you are describing sounds like territorial behavior in rabbits.

It is a good idea to talk to your vet about having your boys neutered. Most vets will do a rabbit neuter any time after 2-3 months of age as long as the vet feels that they are large enough to handle an anesthetic well.

Most of the time neutering will stop this problem (as it is often driven by testosterone). However, it does not always solve the problem.

Do we know for sure that the rabbits are both males? It is important to know because some small breeds of rabbits can get pregnant as early as 3 months of age!

Sometimes, two male rabbits simply will not get along even after neutering. You can try giving them only short periods of time together to allow themselves time to get used to each other. It may also help to cage them separately but beside each other so they can see each other but not be able to fight or mount each other.

Another thing you can do is have a spray water bottle handy and spray the rabbit whenever he goes to mount the other one.

It is not harmful for the rabbit to mount the other one. However, it could lead to fighting which we really would like to avoid!

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (20560 views)

Puppy doesn't want to eat. It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches... (11098 views)

Healthy weight for a puppy. My papipoo recently had a haircut and I was shocked at how skinny he is. What is a... (11588 views)

Clumsy,wobbly yorkiepoo. My son put my 11 month old yorkiepoo outside yesterday and he didn't let him back in... (15657 views)

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (13349 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (10974 views)

Bad breath in puppy. My two month maltese male puppy has really bad breath, what can I do? I'm worrying... (6196 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (11013 views)

Bald on belly. My cat is around seven years old and recently started going bald on her stomach.... (12422 views)

Pink lump on puppy's belly. Dr, I noticed a wart-like bump on Max's abdomen. I am sending along... (83383 views)