Male rabbits mounting.

Breed: mini lop rabbit
i have just got two babay rabbits that should be both 10 weeks old male and brothers. Today sweep, who is bigger than scamp, has started to consistantly hump scamp. What should i do? am really worried. I've never had house rabbits before? s this normal? should i seperate them? etc

Hi and thanks for your question.

What you are describing sounds like territorial behavior in rabbits.

It is a good idea to talk to your vet about having your boys neutered. Most vets will do a rabbit neuter any time after 2-3 months of age as long as the vet feels that they are large enough to handle an anesthetic well.

Most of the time neutering will stop this problem (as it is often driven by testosterone). However, it does not always solve the problem.

Do we know for sure that the rabbits are both males? It is important to know because some small breeds of rabbits can get pregnant as early as 3 months of age!

Sometimes, two male rabbits simply will not get along even after neutering. You can try giving them only short periods of time together to allow themselves time to get used to each other. It may also help to cage them separately but beside each other so they can see each other but not be able to fight or mount each other.

Another thing you can do is have a spray water bottle handy and spray the rabbit whenever he goes to mount the other one.

It is not harmful for the rabbit to mount the other one. However, it could lead to fighting which we really would like to avoid!

Infected spay incision? My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing... (51489 views)

Pit bull with rash. My dog has a bumpy red rash on her inner hip area,around her tail and her private... (7748 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (20382 views)

Cancer or hairball? Mama Kitty has a lower abdomen mass. She is 5 lbs. The vet suspects cancer, although... (14103 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (6656 views)

Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks? We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we... (8496 views)

Cats pooping on the carpet. I have 2 beautiful, loving cats (male/female) 6 years old. They are siblings from... (16537 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Our dog is a miniature dachshund and she just (about 30 minutes ago) ate about 20 to... (12865 views)

Dime sized sore above eye. Turbo has a dime size sore just above his left eye. Ive tried washing with peroxide... (16541 views)

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (16522 views)