Male rabbits mounting.

Breed: mini lop rabbit
i have just got two babay rabbits that should be both 10 weeks old male and brothers. Today sweep, who is bigger than scamp, has started to consistantly hump scamp. What should i do? am really worried. I've never had house rabbits before? s this normal? should i seperate them? etc

Hi and thanks for your question.

What you are describing sounds like territorial behavior in rabbits.

It is a good idea to talk to your vet about having your boys neutered. Most vets will do a rabbit neuter any time after 2-3 months of age as long as the vet feels that they are large enough to handle an anesthetic well.

Most of the time neutering will stop this problem (as it is often driven by testosterone). However, it does not always solve the problem.

Do we know for sure that the rabbits are both males? It is important to know because some small breeds of rabbits can get pregnant as early as 3 months of age!

Sometimes, two male rabbits simply will not get along even after neutering. You can try giving them only short periods of time together to allow themselves time to get used to each other. It may also help to cage them separately but beside each other so they can see each other but not be able to fight or mount each other.

Another thing you can do is have a spray water bottle handy and spray the rabbit whenever he goes to mount the other one.

It is not harmful for the rabbit to mount the other one. However, it could lead to fighting which we really would like to avoid!

Why did my dog die? I have a query re. cause of death in older dog. She was a Yorkshire Terrier,... (29936 views)

Hamster too cold? hi! my hamster has been sleeping alot. she is usally up sometimes during the day and... (7501 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (8994 views)

Good chew toys for dogs. Hi Dr, I have a 9 month old dog who is part Golden and part Canadian beaver. He... (15147 views)

Cat died after surgery. my 4yr old cat had a puncture wound to the abdomen. 2 vets evaluated him. Gave him... (9057 views)

Male dog lost weight when female in heat. My American Bulldog male always loses weight when our female goes into heat because... (23878 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (5771 views)

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (78346 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate candy. Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee... (8910 views)

Pale gums and seizure. Hi, 2 months ago buddy would go outside and if he would run/play hard he would come... (10851 views)