Male rabbits mounting.

Breed: mini lop rabbit
i have just got two babay rabbits that should be both 10 weeks old male and brothers. Today sweep, who is bigger than scamp, has started to consistantly hump scamp. What should i do? am really worried. I've never had house rabbits before? s this normal? should i seperate them? etc

Hi and thanks for your question.

What you are describing sounds like territorial behavior in rabbits.

It is a good idea to talk to your vet about having your boys neutered. Most vets will do a rabbit neuter any time after 2-3 months of age as long as the vet feels that they are large enough to handle an anesthetic well.

Most of the time neutering will stop this problem (as it is often driven by testosterone). However, it does not always solve the problem.

Do we know for sure that the rabbits are both males? It is important to know because some small breeds of rabbits can get pregnant as early as 3 months of age!

Sometimes, two male rabbits simply will not get along even after neutering. You can try giving them only short periods of time together to allow themselves time to get used to each other. It may also help to cage them separately but beside each other so they can see each other but not be able to fight or mount each other.

Another thing you can do is have a spray water bottle handy and spray the rabbit whenever he goes to mount the other one.

It is not harmful for the rabbit to mount the other one. However, it could lead to fighting which we really would like to avoid!

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (13634 views)

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (23291 views)

Rash on dog's chin. I HAVE A 1.6 YEAR OLD GREAT DANE IN GOOD HEALTH. HOWEVER, SHE HAS DEVELOPED A RASH... (14988 views)

Chin acne in cats. He's been on a cleansing agent and anti-biotic/steroid for 5 of 7 days for his acne... (7693 views)

My dog won't eat. Hello i have a male 2 year old pitbull. He is an extremely picky eater when it comes... (15237 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (14202 views)

Do sheep die on their backs? Hi, there. We have been having a debate about a sheep we saw in the field behind... (72455 views)

Eyes rolled back in head. About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot.... (44851 views)

Hydrocode side effect? My dog is a 16-1/2 year old Wheaten who has had two seizures at a groomers. I took... (8342 views)

Radiation danger to pets? I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need... (36722 views)