Male rabbits mounting.

Breed: mini lop rabbit
i have just got two babay rabbits that should be both 10 weeks old male and brothers. Today sweep, who is bigger than scamp, has started to consistantly hump scamp. What should i do? am really worried. I've never had house rabbits before? s this normal? should i seperate them? etc

Hi and thanks for your question.

What you are describing sounds like territorial behavior in rabbits.

It is a good idea to talk to your vet about having your boys neutered. Most vets will do a rabbit neuter any time after 2-3 months of age as long as the vet feels that they are large enough to handle an anesthetic well.

Most of the time neutering will stop this problem (as it is often driven by testosterone). However, it does not always solve the problem.

Do we know for sure that the rabbits are both males? It is important to know because some small breeds of rabbits can get pregnant as early as 3 months of age!

Sometimes, two male rabbits simply will not get along even after neutering. You can try giving them only short periods of time together to allow themselves time to get used to each other. It may also help to cage them separately but beside each other so they can see each other but not be able to fight or mount each other.

Another thing you can do is have a spray water bottle handy and spray the rabbit whenever he goes to mount the other one.

It is not harmful for the rabbit to mount the other one. However, it could lead to fighting which we really would like to avoid!

Peeing in house. I have a 10 year old female cat that has never consistently used the litter box in... (6876 views)

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (34896 views)

Rat lost his brother. My rat has lost his brother will he be ok i am not getting another... (13382 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (22323 views)

Home remedy for ear infection? Hello, My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to... (15390 views)

Need exam with steroid shot? Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat... (6698 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (9400 views)

Cat not using box. My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on... (15135 views)

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (14566 views)

Tramadol online. My 8 year old English mastiff has pain due to hop problems. Her vet has prescribed... (11552 views)