Problems after ear cleaning.

Breed: Tabby
I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he had a bacteria yeast infection..afterwards i have him animax for about two weeks,..since the whole ordeal, he does not seem to respond to any sound at all, like he has gone deaf..also, his third eyelids have been showing and he suddenly stopped eating his hard food, which he LOVED before all this...do i need to be concerned? when i called my vet, he didn't seem to be..just told me to "wait it out," ..i don't wish to wait if my cat will be deaf forever! :(

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Tigger is having these problems.

This does definitely sound like something that should be checked out. The deafness and raised third eyelids have me concerned that there may be some damage to his inner ear.

Sometimes if we are seeing these symptoms it can mean that the eardrum has been damaged (perhaps during the cleaning or perhaps because of the infection.) It is important to note though that there are some cats who can have severe eardrum problems after even a very gentle cleaning. We don't know why some cats are so sensitive.

It is also possible that there is a middle or inner ear infection present. If this is the case we usually stop the medicines in the ear and prescribe oral antibiotics.

I would highly advise that you have your vet take another look at Tigger!

Hope everything is ok!

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (14113 views)

Spot on eye. My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin... (17362 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (11042 views)

Tylosin responsive diarrhea. In another posting on this site you mention giving tylosin daily in "tiny amounts"... (7023 views)

Dog won't go downstairs. He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change... (22149 views)

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (11078 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (4952 views)

Sard Oxy Plus. My cat accidently stood in some Sard Oxy Plus stain remover then licked her paws and... (7737 views)

Shifting lameness and weight loss. In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to... (6415 views)

Kitten can't hold head up. I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week... (11351 views)