Problems after ear cleaning.

Breed: Tabby
I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he had a bacteria yeast infection..afterwards i have him animax for about two weeks,..since the whole ordeal, he does not seem to respond to any sound at all, like he has gone deaf..also, his third eyelids have been showing and he suddenly stopped eating his hard food, which he LOVED before all this...do i need to be concerned? when i called my vet, he didn't seem to be..just told me to "wait it out," ..i don't wish to wait if my cat will be deaf forever! :(

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Tigger is having these problems.

This does definitely sound like something that should be checked out. The deafness and raised third eyelids have me concerned that there may be some damage to his inner ear.

Sometimes if we are seeing these symptoms it can mean that the eardrum has been damaged (perhaps during the cleaning or perhaps because of the infection.) It is important to note though that there are some cats who can have severe eardrum problems after even a very gentle cleaning. We don't know why some cats are so sensitive.

It is also possible that there is a middle or inner ear infection present. If this is the case we usually stop the medicines in the ear and prescribe oral antibiotics.

I would highly advise that you have your vet take another look at Tigger!

Hope everything is ok!

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (7541 views)

Dog's stool a little loose. Dr Marie, Examining that bump around Max's nipples it appears to be less solid.... (4432 views)

Cat can't gain weight. My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I... (15921 views)

Prognosis if dog has pulmonary edema. Hello Dr. Marie, I´m from Brazil, so, first of all I´m sorry about my poor... (11919 views)

Tail fell off. My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues... (9910 views)

Cat has high ALT. my cat was diagnosed with high alt liver enzyme and hi white blood cell count in... (28809 views)

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (15779 views)

Handling newborn kittens. Hello, My cat has recently had kittens. I think they are a day old. She had... (9355 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (32114 views)

Is Tropiclean safe? Dear Dr. Marie: Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my... (18589 views)