Problems after ear cleaning.

Breed: Tabby
I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he had a bacteria yeast infection..afterwards i have him animax for about two weeks,..since the whole ordeal, he does not seem to respond to any sound at all, like he has gone deaf..also, his third eyelids have been showing and he suddenly stopped eating his hard food, which he LOVED before all this...do i need to be concerned? when i called my vet, he didn't seem to be..just told me to "wait it out," ..i don't wish to wait if my cat will be deaf forever! :(

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Tigger is having these problems.

This does definitely sound like something that should be checked out. The deafness and raised third eyelids have me concerned that there may be some damage to his inner ear.

Sometimes if we are seeing these symptoms it can mean that the eardrum has been damaged (perhaps during the cleaning or perhaps because of the infection.) It is important to note though that there are some cats who can have severe eardrum problems after even a very gentle cleaning. We don't know why some cats are so sensitive.

It is also possible that there is a middle or inner ear infection present. If this is the case we usually stop the medicines in the ear and prescribe oral antibiotics.

I would highly advise that you have your vet take another look at Tigger!

Hope everything is ok!

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (5619 views)

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (9775 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat has lost a lot of weight in the past 3 weeks. She cries for food but then... (10341 views)

Brewer's Yeast for fleas. Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks,... (19878 views)

Peeing in house. I have a 10 year old female cat that has never consistently used the litter box in... (6255 views)

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (16113 views)

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (15041 views)

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (9729 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (13917 views)

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (6447 views)