Problems after ear cleaning.

Breed: Tabby
I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he had a bacteria yeast infection..afterwards i have him animax for about two weeks,..since the whole ordeal, he does not seem to respond to any sound at all, like he has gone deaf..also, his third eyelids have been showing and he suddenly stopped eating his hard food, which he LOVED before all this...do i need to be concerned? when i called my vet, he didn't seem to be..just told me to "wait it out," ..i don't wish to wait if my cat will be deaf forever! :(

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Tigger is having these problems.

This does definitely sound like something that should be checked out. The deafness and raised third eyelids have me concerned that there may be some damage to his inner ear.

Sometimes if we are seeing these symptoms it can mean that the eardrum has been damaged (perhaps during the cleaning or perhaps because of the infection.) It is important to note though that there are some cats who can have severe eardrum problems after even a very gentle cleaning. We don't know why some cats are so sensitive.

It is also possible that there is a middle or inner ear infection present. If this is the case we usually stop the medicines in the ear and prescribe oral antibiotics.

I would highly advise that you have your vet take another look at Tigger!

Hope everything is ok!

Guinea pig noises. Heys! I have only one guinea pig and she is female. Sometimes my guinea pig makes... (9961 views)

Factory Farms and CAFOS Hello my name is Alyssa. I am a senior at FD Roosevelt Senior High School. I am... (6295 views)

Lumps on dog's neck. My dog keeps getting small red lumps on his body especially over the back of his... (10808 views)

Dog vomiting clear fluid. Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over... (217432 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog keeps shaking and isn't acting herself. Her whole body is shaking but it is... (21219 views)

Cat vomits regularly. My 4year old cat has been throwing up over the past two months. 99% is food. ( dry... (4576 views)

Broken leg in puppy? hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw... (22926 views)

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (11926 views)

Ferret with hair loss and wobbliness. My ferett has lost all hair on back and i came home today and he is extremly wobbly... (17805 views)

Separation anxiety. Dear Dr. Marie, My family and I adopted Champ, who is a 2 1/2 year old... (6504 views)