Problems after ear cleaning.

Breed: Tabby
I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he had a bacteria yeast infection..afterwards i have him animax for about two weeks,..since the whole ordeal, he does not seem to respond to any sound at all, like he has gone deaf..also, his third eyelids have been showing and he suddenly stopped eating his hard food, which he LOVED before all this...do i need to be concerned? when i called my vet, he didn't seem to be..just told me to "wait it out," ..i don't wish to wait if my cat will be deaf forever! :(

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Tigger is having these problems.

This does definitely sound like something that should be checked out. The deafness and raised third eyelids have me concerned that there may be some damage to his inner ear.

Sometimes if we are seeing these symptoms it can mean that the eardrum has been damaged (perhaps during the cleaning or perhaps because of the infection.) It is important to note though that there are some cats who can have severe eardrum problems after even a very gentle cleaning. We don't know why some cats are so sensitive.

It is also possible that there is a middle or inner ear infection present. If this is the case we usually stop the medicines in the ear and prescribe oral antibiotics.

I would highly advise that you have your vet take another look at Tigger!

Hope everything is ok!

Hyperaldosteronism? My niece's 12 yr old cat vomits about every 6 days, gets dehydrated, listless and... (4706 views)

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (7406 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (5306 views)

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (9049 views)

Bleach got on dog's skin. Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog... (16727 views)

Rat pees and poops on owner. I have a baby rat that poops and pies on me when she gets out of the... (10201 views)

Can I get toxoplasmosis from my dog? I've caught my dog eating stray cat feces in my yard several times. I would then... (37163 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (48456 views)

FIV positive and diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie - I took in a semi feral cat about six weeks ago. He is FIV+. He has... (16343 views)

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (7252 views)