Betadine on spay incision?

Breed: Terrier Mix
My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected. Can I applied betadine to the incision?

You shouldn't have to apply anything to a dog's incision after surgery.

I know it's hard to believe that the incision will be ok. I'm amazed at how often people who have had surgery will get an infection in their incision, especially because people can wash and take care of the incision. Yet, dogs are much better at not getting an infection even though they are lying on the ground and not taking care of their wound!

Betadine is unlikely to prevent an infection and definitely won't be enough to treat one should it happen.

Rather, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the incision. If you notice that it is getting redder, more bothersome to the dog, or oozing pus then you'll need to return to the vet for some antibiotics. But my guess is that things will be just fine on their own!

Cost to take mouse to vet? About how much would it cost to take a mouse in for a check... (18066 views)

Senior cat losing weight. Hello, My cat is 11 or 12 years old (he was a rescue kitty I inherited, so I'm... (6294 views)

My hamster bites my friends. My hamster dosent bite me ever, he only bites other people. He has never ever... (10805 views)

Pine bedding and gerbils. Hi, We noticed that our gerbil was lethargic, eyes closed, breathing rapidly. I... (9341 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (39311 views)

Pit Bull died suddenly. My Female Pit bull is about a year and half to 2 years we got her from a neighbor... (15298 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (9090 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (8459 views)

Liver shunt surgery. Recently I found out that the kitten I adopted a few months ago has a Portosystemic... (8920 views)

Cat hair loss. My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out.... (52944 views)