Betadine on spay incision?

Breed: Terrier Mix
My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected. Can I applied betadine to the incision?

You shouldn't have to apply anything to a dog's incision after surgery.

I know it's hard to believe that the incision will be ok. I'm amazed at how often people who have had surgery will get an infection in their incision, especially because people can wash and take care of the incision. Yet, dogs are much better at not getting an infection even though they are lying on the ground and not taking care of their wound!

Betadine is unlikely to prevent an infection and definitely won't be enough to treat one should it happen.

Rather, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the incision. If you notice that it is getting redder, more bothersome to the dog, or oozing pus then you'll need to return to the vet for some antibiotics. But my guess is that things will be just fine on their own!

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (42064 views)

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (10178 views)

Bruising after blood collection. I took my dog to get some shots earlier today and to get some tests done. They drew... (25669 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (9552 views)

Straining to urinate. I have an 8 year old yellow lab named Chloie. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (4616 views)

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (16258 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (7933 views)

Wheezing dog. My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or... (7118 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (48498 views)

Rimady and kidney disease. I took my dog to the vet because she yelped when I rubbed her belly above her... (7561 views)