Betadine on spay incision?

Breed: Terrier Mix
My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected. Can I applied betadine to the incision?

You shouldn't have to apply anything to a dog's incision after surgery.

I know it's hard to believe that the incision will be ok. I'm amazed at how often people who have had surgery will get an infection in their incision, especially because people can wash and take care of the incision. Yet, dogs are much better at not getting an infection even though they are lying on the ground and not taking care of their wound!

Betadine is unlikely to prevent an infection and definitely won't be enough to treat one should it happen.

Rather, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the incision. If you notice that it is getting redder, more bothersome to the dog, or oozing pus then you'll need to return to the vet for some antibiotics. But my guess is that things will be just fine on their own!

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (18644 views)

Sentry Pro Flea and Tick Shampoo Hi Dr. Marie, Last night around 8 pm I gave my dog a bath with Sentry Pro flea... (24363 views)

Dog has smelly ears. hiya my puppy has a smell coming from his ears its not strong but when you come... (5655 views)

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (13795 views)

Not eating and very weak. Our dog has been quite sick for a bit over a week now. We live on a small island in... (56381 views)

Cat hair loss. My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out.... (49405 views)

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (6847 views)

Panting after insulin. My 6 year old dog was Diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. Having some trouble... (39767 views)

Pain in stomatitis after extractions. 9 year old cat has stomatitis. She is NOT FIV positive. She has had all her teeth... (16040 views)

Do cats prefer litter? My cat just started using the bathroom floor and areas on the carpet at litter... (6903 views)