Betadine on spay incision?

Breed: Terrier Mix
My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected. Can I applied betadine to the incision?

You shouldn't have to apply anything to a dog's incision after surgery.

I know it's hard to believe that the incision will be ok. I'm amazed at how often people who have had surgery will get an infection in their incision, especially because people can wash and take care of the incision. Yet, dogs are much better at not getting an infection even though they are lying on the ground and not taking care of their wound!

Betadine is unlikely to prevent an infection and definitely won't be enough to treat one should it happen.

Rather, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the incision. If you notice that it is getting redder, more bothersome to the dog, or oozing pus then you'll need to return to the vet for some antibiotics. But my guess is that things will be just fine on their own!

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (87796 views)

maggots in guinea pig's cage Dear dr marie, i found maggots in my guinea pig's cage. So i want to know if he has... (15688 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (8530 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (14267 views)

Dog ate Advil. My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am... (12452 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (9420 views)

Skin problems. i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been... (13972 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (49736 views)

Skin infection is back. Hello Doctor, My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as... (9476 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (10593 views)