Betadine on spay incision?

Breed: Terrier Mix
My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected. Can I applied betadine to the incision?

You shouldn't have to apply anything to a dog's incision after surgery.

I know it's hard to believe that the incision will be ok. I'm amazed at how often people who have had surgery will get an infection in their incision, especially because people can wash and take care of the incision. Yet, dogs are much better at not getting an infection even though they are lying on the ground and not taking care of their wound!

Betadine is unlikely to prevent an infection and definitely won't be enough to treat one should it happen.

Rather, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the incision. If you notice that it is getting redder, more bothersome to the dog, or oozing pus then you'll need to return to the vet for some antibiotics. But my guess is that things will be just fine on their own!

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (4178 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (113113 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (7982 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (5334 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (12872 views)

Calicivirus questions My cat has just had all of her teeth removed because of stomatitis. My vet said... (8322 views)

Cat pooping on floor. My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and... (10280 views)

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (13421 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (7914 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (16075 views)