Betadine on spay incision?

Breed: Terrier Mix
My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected. Can I applied betadine to the incision?

You shouldn't have to apply anything to a dog's incision after surgery.

I know it's hard to believe that the incision will be ok. I'm amazed at how often people who have had surgery will get an infection in their incision, especially because people can wash and take care of the incision. Yet, dogs are much better at not getting an infection even though they are lying on the ground and not taking care of their wound!

Betadine is unlikely to prevent an infection and definitely won't be enough to treat one should it happen.

Rather, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the incision. If you notice that it is getting redder, more bothersome to the dog, or oozing pus then you'll need to return to the vet for some antibiotics. But my guess is that things will be just fine on their own!

How often to vaccinate for parvo. Hi How often should I get my dog vaccinated for Parvo? She was vaccinated May... (40266 views)

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (156575 views)

Weakness in legs and thirsty. Dear Dr. Marie, Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing... (11931 views)

Brewer's Yeast for fleas. Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks,... (18635 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (20213 views)

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (9812 views)

Yellow diarrhea and runny eyes. i have a kitten that has diarreah yellowish in color. she acts like she has a hard... (7355 views)

Did my cat suffer? Last Tuesday night one of our cats went outside. He never reappeared. My boyfriend... (15034 views)

Cleansing diet for dogs? I've just heard about the Chinese dog treat scare, and I'm going to check all my... (5372 views)

Damaged intestines? A few weeks ago I busted Diesel eating berries off a tree in the back yard. I told... (11914 views)