Betadine on spay incision?

Breed: Terrier Mix
My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected. Can I applied betadine to the incision?

You shouldn't have to apply anything to a dog's incision after surgery.

I know it's hard to believe that the incision will be ok. I'm amazed at how often people who have had surgery will get an infection in their incision, especially because people can wash and take care of the incision. Yet, dogs are much better at not getting an infection even though they are lying on the ground and not taking care of their wound!

Betadine is unlikely to prevent an infection and definitely won't be enough to treat one should it happen.

Rather, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the incision. If you notice that it is getting redder, more bothersome to the dog, or oozing pus then you'll need to return to the vet for some antibiotics. But my guess is that things will be just fine on their own!

Boxer fainted. My 1 1/2 year old boxer fainted or collapsed yesterday evening as he was walking to... (10979 views)

Lump on my dog. Hello Dr. Marie, I sincerely hope that this is real, and that if it is and you... (38268 views)

Cat licking his fur. Good evening, My 4 year old tuxedo cat has always been quite special (he meows... (16399 views)

Itchy mouth in a dog. For quite sometime now she has been experiencing something that is irritating her... (73007 views)

Why did my cat die? my cat was fine one day and the next he stopped everything he only walked when... (12580 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (21183 views)

Megaesophagus in a puppy. I have a 7 week old lab/pit mix puppy who has been throwing up her food since we got... (10649 views)

Fleas, pale nose and sick. My cat Ava has lost alomot all of her hair and so much weight i can see her hip... (7178 views)

Dark spot on eye. scooby recently has a darker spot on his pupil, other than that his health is... (30635 views)

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (18411 views)