Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Red sores on mouth.

Species: Dog
Breed: german shepard mix
Age: 11-15 years
My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get irritated and sometimes bleed. Her lip area has also developed at bright pink pigment. I want to know if this is dangerous, and what could it be? thanks


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

This could be something called a lip fold pyoderma. These are really uncomfortable infections around the mouth. They need to be treated with antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

There are other more serious possibilities such as an autoimmune disease called pemphigus. but, I think a lip fold pyoderma is most likely.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Both dogs having seizures I have 2 dogs. Molly the mixbreed started acting strange about a week ago. not... (9587 views)

White blisters in cat's ears. My cat has a number of small white "blisters" on her ears. She repeatedly scratches... (6880 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (12494 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (6349 views)

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (3880 views)

Can I give hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting? I gave my puppy a tablespoon and a half of hydrogen peroxide to help him throw up... (23358 views)

Swollen ankle on dog. I have a 3 year old chocolate lab. He is very active. His right hind leg has a... (77054 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (13974 views)

Cat has scabs and dry skin. Any home treatment for scabs/dry skin for cats on their head, chin, and neck? I put... (10855 views)

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (17913 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.