Is my dog in heat?

Breed: border collie
my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and started eating but shes gone all crazy. for about 5 days she was barking, whining and panting all the time and now she keeps digging,barking,whining and she wont do what she is told. she used to be really good she only barked when someone walked past and she never really dig. I have actually been walking her more so she isn't as bored and giving her lots of attention but shes still acting like this and its been about 2 weeks. Is it because she is in season or she is intimidated by something? and could you tell me when she goes in season?

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Ruby is acting strangely.

These behaviors could be because she is in heat. Here are some signs that a dog is in heat:

• Swollen vulva: The vulva is underneath the anus. It is usually quite obvious if it is swollen.

• Discharge from the vulva: At first the discharge is straw colored and liquid, but after a few days it changes to blood.

Dogs in heat will often have strange behaviors. They can be anxious or sometimes more aggressive than usual. There really isn't much you can do to stop this behavior other than wait until she is out of heat which will take about 3 weeks. I would highly advise having her spayed soon. The reason for this is that there are a number of health conditions that she can get if she is not spayed such as an infection in the uterus called pyometra or cancers in the reproductive tract.

It is also possible that she has some pain or discomfort somewhere. Some dogs will act really strange or anxious when their anal glands are full. These glands sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with debris. It is best to have your vet empty them.

Back pain can be another possibility.

It sounds like a good idea to have your vet take a look at her and do a good physical exam.

Pitbull with rash Mister has been treated all his life for a skin rash he has. Before this year he... (11035 views)

Licking feet. My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them... (8949 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (38506 views)

Vet is pushing veterinary foods. I have a new to me vet who is insistent on my giving my cats 'veterinary' food. My... (7098 views)

Brown fur from licking. Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning... (46414 views)

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (7773 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (26181 views)

Redo rabies vaccine? Can a dog get a rabies shot twice? I am waiting for the previous owners to get me... (28155 views)

My kitten died. Hi Dr Marie, We came home on Sunday after a night away (less than 24 hours) to... (12202 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (14114 views)