Is my dog in heat?

Breed: border collie
my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and started eating but shes gone all crazy. for about 5 days she was barking, whining and panting all the time and now she keeps digging,barking,whining and she wont do what she is told. she used to be really good she only barked when someone walked past and she never really dig. I have actually been walking her more so she isn't as bored and giving her lots of attention but shes still acting like this and its been about 2 weeks. Is it because she is in season or she is intimidated by something? and could you tell me when she goes in season?

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Ruby is acting strangely.

These behaviors could be because she is in heat. Here are some signs that a dog is in heat:

• Swollen vulva: The vulva is underneath the anus. It is usually quite obvious if it is swollen.

• Discharge from the vulva: At first the discharge is straw colored and liquid, but after a few days it changes to blood.

Dogs in heat will often have strange behaviors. They can be anxious or sometimes more aggressive than usual. There really isn't much you can do to stop this behavior other than wait until she is out of heat which will take about 3 weeks. I would highly advise having her spayed soon. The reason for this is that there are a number of health conditions that she can get if she is not spayed such as an infection in the uterus called pyometra or cancers in the reproductive tract.

It is also possible that she has some pain or discomfort somewhere. Some dogs will act really strange or anxious when their anal glands are full. These glands sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with debris. It is best to have your vet empty them.

Back pain can be another possibility.

It sounds like a good idea to have your vet take a look at her and do a good physical exam.

Arthritis in a Newfie. My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes... (9265 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (24386 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (10118 views)

Lab with a cough. Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when... (46525 views)

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (5195 views)

Can't walk, dehydrated puppy. My puppy is 3 months old. She was left at home with her dogsitter but was obviously... (15220 views)

Is aspirin safe for dogs? I bought the excel enteric coated aspirin 81mg each for my 85lb husky. I don't know... (15982 views)

Dog can't pee after accident. brandy got ran over about 4 days ago,,, she is walking with a lamp,,, eating and... (13887 views)

Vomiting and congested. Got a new kitten Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now... (18175 views)

Deaf and pooping in house. My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the... (10000 views)