Is my dog in heat?

Breed: border collie
my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and started eating but shes gone all crazy. for about 5 days she was barking, whining and panting all the time and now she keeps digging,barking,whining and she wont do what she is told. she used to be really good she only barked when someone walked past and she never really dig. I have actually been walking her more so she isn't as bored and giving her lots of attention but shes still acting like this and its been about 2 weeks. Is it because she is in season or she is intimidated by something? and could you tell me when she goes in season?

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Ruby is acting strangely.

These behaviors could be because she is in heat. Here are some signs that a dog is in heat:

• Swollen vulva: The vulva is underneath the anus. It is usually quite obvious if it is swollen.

• Discharge from the vulva: At first the discharge is straw colored and liquid, but after a few days it changes to blood.

Dogs in heat will often have strange behaviors. They can be anxious or sometimes more aggressive than usual. There really isn't much you can do to stop this behavior other than wait until she is out of heat which will take about 3 weeks. I would highly advise having her spayed soon. The reason for this is that there are a number of health conditions that she can get if she is not spayed such as an infection in the uterus called pyometra or cancers in the reproductive tract.

It is also possible that she has some pain or discomfort somewhere. Some dogs will act really strange or anxious when their anal glands are full. These glands sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with debris. It is best to have your vet empty them.

Back pain can be another possibility.

It sounds like a good idea to have your vet take a look at her and do a good physical exam.

Sugar is second ingredient. I ordered dog food online two days ago and just now realized the second ingredient... (4280 views)

Peeing in house. I have a 10 year old female cat that has never consistently used the litter box in... (5167 views)

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (6001 views)

Chinese Crested with diarrhea This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age.... (9678 views)

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (4223 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (11383 views)

Cat not eating since new kitten arrived. My cat's behavior has changed quite a bit and won't eat. I will explain when he... (19465 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Dear Dr. Marie, I adopted a shelter dog from the southern US last September. He is... (10343 views)

intercat aggression We have four brothers that are 1 year old. They were wild cats when their mamma... (6885 views)

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (26327 views)