Is my dog in heat?

Breed: border collie
my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and started eating but shes gone all crazy. for about 5 days she was barking, whining and panting all the time and now she keeps digging,barking,whining and she wont do what she is told. she used to be really good she only barked when someone walked past and she never really dig. I have actually been walking her more so she isn't as bored and giving her lots of attention but shes still acting like this and its been about 2 weeks. Is it because she is in season or she is intimidated by something? and could you tell me when she goes in season?

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Ruby is acting strangely.

These behaviors could be because she is in heat. Here are some signs that a dog is in heat:

• Swollen vulva: The vulva is underneath the anus. It is usually quite obvious if it is swollen.

• Discharge from the vulva: At first the discharge is straw colored and liquid, but after a few days it changes to blood.

Dogs in heat will often have strange behaviors. They can be anxious or sometimes more aggressive than usual. There really isn't much you can do to stop this behavior other than wait until she is out of heat which will take about 3 weeks. I would highly advise having her spayed soon. The reason for this is that there are a number of health conditions that she can get if she is not spayed such as an infection in the uterus called pyometra or cancers in the reproductive tract.

It is also possible that she has some pain or discomfort somewhere. Some dogs will act really strange or anxious when their anal glands are full. These glands sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with debris. It is best to have your vet empty them.

Back pain can be another possibility.

It sounds like a good idea to have your vet take a look at her and do a good physical exam.

Is coconut oil good for dogs? Hello, I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my... (8431 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (22810 views)

Not chewing his food. I noticed he isn't chewing his dog food lately. He has always chewed before. I think... (5792 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (8548 views)

Hamster too cold? hi! my hamster has been sleeping alot. she is usally up sometimes during the day and... (7616 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog keeps shaking and isn't acting herself. Her whole body is shaking but it is... (23020 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (5855 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (40402 views)

Dog pees on the furniture. Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy... (7738 views)

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (5686 views)