Rectovaginal fistula.

Breed: Doberman
We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was careless and killed half of litter.
Today I saw one female puppy poop from her vagina. Sort of solid, not runny. She has otherwise been fine, eating and peeing. Size and activity are normal.
We wormed them once so far. They were treated for clostridia as well.
I'm a little freaked out.
Thanks.

Thanks for your question. If you are fairly certain that you saw stool coming out of the vaginal opening then there is a possibility that this puppy has a rectovaginal fistula. This happens when the wall between the rectum and the vagina is not complete.

If this is what the puppy has then there is a possibility that it can be fixed with surgery. But, this type of surgery can be complicated and also expensive.

If no surgery is done, there is a possibility that she could still live ok, but usually dogs with this type of problem have serious issues. Stool in the vaginal tract can cause repeated infections. Also, usually these dogs are incontinent meaning that they cannot hold their stool inside. The other concern is that often when puppies are born with a rectovaginal fistula there can be other serious birth defects, some of which may not be obvious at first. It may be that the puppies that died had some birth defects and this is why they died. (If the mother did kill them, often the mom can know when puppies have a life threatening defect and actually kill them so that she can focus on feeding the healthier pups.)

Ideally it would be best to have a vet examine the pup. But to get the best idea as to what is going on they will likely need to do some extensive tests such as injecting a dye into the rectum and taking xrays to see where it goes.

I wish I had better news for you.

Coughing puppy. My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up as if she has something stuck in... (12993 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (11078 views)

Kitten can't hold head up. I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week... (13760 views)

Bad breath in puppy. My two month maltese male puppy has really bad breath, what can I do? I'm worrying... (6242 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (13553 views)

Home treatment for abscess. My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away... (9973 views)

Cat vomits regularly. My 4year old cat has been throwing up over the past two months. 99% is food. ( dry... (6549 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (8856 views)

Ear mite treatment for dogs and cats. Hello, I just noticed the other day that my cat and dog has alot of ... (10380 views)

Cat not using box. My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on... (13948 views)