Rectovaginal fistula.

Breed: Doberman
We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was careless and killed half of litter.
Today I saw one female puppy poop from her vagina. Sort of solid, not runny. She has otherwise been fine, eating and peeing. Size and activity are normal.
We wormed them once so far. They were treated for clostridia as well.
I'm a little freaked out.
Thanks.

Thanks for your question. If you are fairly certain that you saw stool coming out of the vaginal opening then there is a possibility that this puppy has a rectovaginal fistula. This happens when the wall between the rectum and the vagina is not complete.

If this is what the puppy has then there is a possibility that it can be fixed with surgery. But, this type of surgery can be complicated and also expensive.

If no surgery is done, there is a possibility that she could still live ok, but usually dogs with this type of problem have serious issues. Stool in the vaginal tract can cause repeated infections. Also, usually these dogs are incontinent meaning that they cannot hold their stool inside. The other concern is that often when puppies are born with a rectovaginal fistula there can be other serious birth defects, some of which may not be obvious at first. It may be that the puppies that died had some birth defects and this is why they died. (If the mother did kill them, often the mom can know when puppies have a life threatening defect and actually kill them so that she can focus on feeding the healthier pups.)

Ideally it would be best to have a vet examine the pup. But to get the best idea as to what is going on they will likely need to do some extensive tests such as injecting a dye into the rectum and taking xrays to see where it goes.

I wish I had better news for you.

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (10172 views)

Possible spleen cancer. About 2 wks ago noticed lack of appetite and lethargy. Took her to the vet who said... (11948 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (14567 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (7347 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (8393 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (12729 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (21534 views)

Dog biting at tail. I just noticed earlier today Sept. 29th that my Husky has chunks of hair missing... (35000 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (11592 views)

Staggering Rottweiler I have a nine month old female rottweiler mix. She is eating nutro max dog food. She... (10496 views)