Rectovaginal fistula.

Breed: Doberman
We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was careless and killed half of litter.
Today I saw one female puppy poop from her vagina. Sort of solid, not runny. She has otherwise been fine, eating and peeing. Size and activity are normal.
We wormed them once so far. They were treated for clostridia as well.
I'm a little freaked out.
Thanks.

Thanks for your question. If you are fairly certain that you saw stool coming out of the vaginal opening then there is a possibility that this puppy has a rectovaginal fistula. This happens when the wall between the rectum and the vagina is not complete.

If this is what the puppy has then there is a possibility that it can be fixed with surgery. But, this type of surgery can be complicated and also expensive.

If no surgery is done, there is a possibility that she could still live ok, but usually dogs with this type of problem have serious issues. Stool in the vaginal tract can cause repeated infections. Also, usually these dogs are incontinent meaning that they cannot hold their stool inside. The other concern is that often when puppies are born with a rectovaginal fistula there can be other serious birth defects, some of which may not be obvious at first. It may be that the puppies that died had some birth defects and this is why they died. (If the mother did kill them, often the mom can know when puppies have a life threatening defect and actually kill them so that she can focus on feeding the healthier pups.)

Ideally it would be best to have a vet examine the pup. But to get the best idea as to what is going on they will likely need to do some extensive tests such as injecting a dye into the rectum and taking xrays to see where it goes.

I wish I had better news for you.

Spay older dog? Hi Vet My dog is 9 years old & has never been mated. She is healthy & does not have... (9402 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (8899 views)

Itchy ears and bum. My dog keeps scratching at her ears and shakes her head a lot. I clean her ears and... (14598 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (9160 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. 10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings)... (21772 views)

My cat's fur is falling out. My cat's fur is falling out. Patchy and balding. I have 2 cats, the other is... (14216 views)

Diarrhea and increased appetite. We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and... (4863 views)

Cat has poop stuck to bum. My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She... (10374 views)

Do sheep die on their backs? Hi, there. We have been having a debate about a sheep we saw in the field behind... (66973 views)

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (9965 views)