Dog in heat a long time.

Breed: Boxer
i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she is still showing signs of a heat cycle...my male german shepherd still tries to mount her and she is still willing to let him...what is the deal?

Hi and thanks for your question.

It is definitely not normal to have a heat cycle that lasts longer than 3-6 weeks. There are a few possible reasons why this may be happening to Dixie.

It is possible that she has either an ovarian cyst or ovarian cancer. In either case, the treatment would be to have her spayed.

It is also possible that she has some infection in her vagina or uterus. However, this usually doesn't cause her to still be attractive to males and want to mate so this is less likely.

I would highly advise having your vet examine her. They will do an inexpensive test where they will swab her vagina and determine if she is in heat or if there is infection present and then they can advise you from there. Most likely though it sounds like she will need to be spayed. If your vet is suspicious of a tumor then they will send the tumor away to find out how worried we need to be.

Guinea Pig in Heat? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a... (31732 views)

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (29337 views)

Vomiting yorkie. Abby is 15 months old. She weighs 2.5-3.0 lbs. She is spayed. My question is that... (24098 views)

Rash on belly. My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise"... (70949 views)

Vomiting Dog My dog isn't eating, and when she drinks water, she throws it up. Her stomach seems... (11329 views)

Redo rabies vaccine? Can a dog get a rabies shot twice? I am waiting for the previous owners to get me... (29069 views)

vet question Dear Madame Veterinarian: Our Siberian has one of the best pedigrees we could've... (11642 views)

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (11062 views)

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (15299 views)

Liver cancer questions. My dog Penny was on trilo for Cushings - Dec 2010- then she went into Addisons went... (8366 views)