Dog in heat a long time.

Breed: Boxer
i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she is still showing signs of a heat cycle...my male german shepherd still tries to mount her and she is still willing to let him...what is the deal?

Hi and thanks for your question.

It is definitely not normal to have a heat cycle that lasts longer than 3-6 weeks. There are a few possible reasons why this may be happening to Dixie.

It is possible that she has either an ovarian cyst or ovarian cancer. In either case, the treatment would be to have her spayed.

It is also possible that she has some infection in her vagina or uterus. However, this usually doesn't cause her to still be attractive to males and want to mate so this is less likely.

I would highly advise having your vet examine her. They will do an inexpensive test where they will swab her vagina and determine if she is in heat or if there is infection present and then they can advise you from there. Most likely though it sounds like she will need to be spayed. If your vet is suspicious of a tumor then they will send the tumor away to find out how worried we need to be.

Stretching out back legs. My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself... (140561 views)

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (13691 views)

Superglue for dog's wound. He had a cut on his leg from broken glass fairly deep but not long, nor puncture. I... (24820 views)

Severely scratching ears. I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with... (11702 views)

Lethargic cat My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She... (17500 views)

Golden retriever with lymphoma died. My golden retriever was 125 pounds (all muscle) and enjoyed perfect health for all... (32097 views)

Drinking more and thirsty LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND... (15009 views)

Licking at private parts. I have a Indoor Male Maine Coon Cat 3 years 9mnths old, Eats 4 times a day Raw food... (11559 views)

Salt lick for dogs? My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect)... (49005 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (14982 views)