Dog in heat a long time.

Breed: Boxer
i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she is still showing signs of a heat cycle...my male german shepherd still tries to mount her and she is still willing to let him...what is the deal?

Hi and thanks for your question.

It is definitely not normal to have a heat cycle that lasts longer than 3-6 weeks. There are a few possible reasons why this may be happening to Dixie.

It is possible that she has either an ovarian cyst or ovarian cancer. In either case, the treatment would be to have her spayed.

It is also possible that she has some infection in her vagina or uterus. However, this usually doesn't cause her to still be attractive to males and want to mate so this is less likely.

I would highly advise having your vet examine her. They will do an inexpensive test where they will swab her vagina and determine if she is in heat or if there is infection present and then they can advise you from there. Most likely though it sounds like she will need to be spayed. If your vet is suspicious of a tumor then they will send the tumor away to find out how worried we need to be.

Unexplained fever in a dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My pit bull Indy has always been in pretty good health but has... (8922 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (22187 views)

Cat urinating in the house. We recently switched from clay cat litter to corn. We love it, but one of our two... (7075 views)

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (7617 views)

Soft yellow stools and weight loss Sorry that this is long, but I want to give ALL details in case it helps. I... (39440 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (5835 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (16438 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (4823 views)

Will one grape hurt my dog? (112758 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4731 views)