Dog in heat a long time.

Breed: Boxer
i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she is still showing signs of a heat cycle...my male german shepherd still tries to mount her and she is still willing to let him...what is the deal?

Hi and thanks for your question.

It is definitely not normal to have a heat cycle that lasts longer than 3-6 weeks. There are a few possible reasons why this may be happening to Dixie.

It is possible that she has either an ovarian cyst or ovarian cancer. In either case, the treatment would be to have her spayed.

It is also possible that she has some infection in her vagina or uterus. However, this usually doesn't cause her to still be attractive to males and want to mate so this is less likely.

I would highly advise having your vet examine her. They will do an inexpensive test where they will swab her vagina and determine if she is in heat or if there is infection present and then they can advise you from there. Most likely though it sounds like she will need to be spayed. If your vet is suspicious of a tumor then they will send the tumor away to find out how worried we need to be.

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (9759 views)

Dog coughing. We let our dog do her business in the backyard. However, we are currently in the... (48065 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (66769 views)

dog with bumps on head My dog has 2-3 little lumps on her head, She is smooothe coated, You can feel them... (26445 views)

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (14206 views)

Introducing kittens. Hi Dr. Marie, My name is Lauren, and I'm from Australia - I hope I haven't woken... (7009 views)

Stuffed up nose. Dear Vet, We have a 12 year old Australian Shepard, 80 pound male. He is not having... (10666 views)

Lump on puppy's jaw. Hi, My puppy has a lump on her face at the side just below her eye, Its roughly... (12655 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (5156 views)

7 week old puppies have fleas. my puppy is getting eatin alive by fleas he is only 7 weeks old and is a very tiny... (9454 views)