Dog in heat a long time.

Breed: Boxer
i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she is still showing signs of a heat cycle...my male german shepherd still tries to mount her and she is still willing to let him...what is the deal?

Hi and thanks for your question.

It is definitely not normal to have a heat cycle that lasts longer than 3-6 weeks. There are a few possible reasons why this may be happening to Dixie.

It is possible that she has either an ovarian cyst or ovarian cancer. In either case, the treatment would be to have her spayed.

It is also possible that she has some infection in her vagina or uterus. However, this usually doesn't cause her to still be attractive to males and want to mate so this is less likely.

I would highly advise having your vet examine her. They will do an inexpensive test where they will swab her vagina and determine if she is in heat or if there is infection present and then they can advise you from there. Most likely though it sounds like she will need to be spayed. If your vet is suspicious of a tumor then they will send the tumor away to find out how worried we need to be.

Puppy vomited and became unresponsive. My puppy violet was out on her walk this afternoon and she started dry reaching and... (12011 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (11850 views)

Bald on belly. My cat is around seven years old and recently started going bald on her stomach.... (13823 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (40313 views)

Bald spot on cat's tail. By accident my Ricky has a blad spot on his tail & i sure hope that it grows back?... (7868 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (17983 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (12449 views)

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (15493 views)

Infected spay incision? My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing... (71995 views)

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (13654 views)