Dog in heat a long time.

Breed: Boxer
i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she is still showing signs of a heat cycle...my male german shepherd still tries to mount her and she is still willing to let him...what is the deal?

Hi and thanks for your question.

It is definitely not normal to have a heat cycle that lasts longer than 3-6 weeks. There are a few possible reasons why this may be happening to Dixie.

It is possible that she has either an ovarian cyst or ovarian cancer. In either case, the treatment would be to have her spayed.

It is also possible that she has some infection in her vagina or uterus. However, this usually doesn't cause her to still be attractive to males and want to mate so this is less likely.

I would highly advise having your vet examine her. They will do an inexpensive test where they will swab her vagina and determine if she is in heat or if there is infection present and then they can advise you from there. Most likely though it sounds like she will need to be spayed. If your vet is suspicious of a tumor then they will send the tumor away to find out how worried we need to be.

Bleeding after whelping. My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's... (76126 views)

Surgery or rest for CCL tear. Dear Dr. Marie, My dog often limping recently and i've brought her to see a vet in... (8589 views)

Do allergy wipes work? Do cat wipes work for people who are allergic to feline dander? Are the wipes... (11036 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (14084 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (7987 views)

Xray for hip dysplasia? Hi Dr, I was just wondering as a rule whether I should have Max x-rayed to check... (5464 views)

Wheezing kitten. Hi! I found Trinity a week or two ago. She was very friendly but looked (and... (7213 views)

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (21615 views)

Salt lick for dogs? My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect)... (44803 views)

Chronic diarrhea. Hi, My 2 1/2 year old Siberian has had chronic diarrhea for the past 4 weeks.... (11841 views)