Diaphragmatic hernia.

Breed: domestic shorthair
Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues: breathlessness on exertion as an adoloscent (which he outgrew); lifelong periodic diarrhea (investigated and determined to be irritable bowel/food allergies and well managed with low-dose prednisone and a special diet); and hyperthyroidism (managed with medication). Recently, his vet heard unusual lung sounds during a regular physical,and a chest x-ray revealed a large mass, apparently in his left lung. He was referred to a specialist who made a tentative diagnosis of lung cancer, and Osiris underwent a number of tests and a surgery. The result was that he turned out to have a diaphragmatic hernia (likely congenital), and the mass was actually outside his lung and consisted of fat that had leaked up through the hole in his diaphragm. The hernia was repaired, the mass removed, and Osiris is now recovering at home. Needless to say, we are very happy at this outcome. Here, finally, is my question: is this an unusual situation? Could some of his other symptoms/medical issues be related to this? We are not second-guessing his veterinary team - just interested in understanding this situation.

Wow! Your kitty has been through a lot!

I'll give you my thoughts on what you have written.

I'm guessing that the diaphragmatic hernia may have been there for Osiris' entire life. As you likely know, a diaphragmatic hernia is a hole in the diaphragm. It's possible that the hole has been there since birth. Perhaps, when Osiris was little, he had some intestines or fat protruding through the hole into the chest and that could have caused the breathing issues. It is possible that either the intestines/fat moved back into the intestines, or that his body just adapted to having them in his chest and this is why the breathing issue got better.

It is unusual to have hyperthyroidism diagnosed at 8 years of age, but not unheard of. But, I can't connect this to his hernia issue at all.

I can totally understand how this recent situation unfolded. If I took a chest xray and saw a large unusual looking area I would certainly think of tumor as well. I'm so glad that you opted for surgery! One of the problems with lung issues is that it is difficult to get an accurate diagnosis sometimes. While some diaphragmatic hernias are obvious, many really are not. So, I don't find it surprising that this was assumed to be a tumor.

It does sound like he's had excellent veterinary care and also excellent owners to support him throughout all of this. I hope he does well!

Thanks, Dr. Marie. As the surgeon explained to us, the exact location of the mass (inside or outside the lung) proved rather difficult to determine, even after xray, ultrasound and MRI. It's been a roller coaster ride of a month, let's put it that way. But because the xray showed no indication of lymph node involvement, and the other tests showed no indication of other masses, we opted for surgery, hoping that, if it was cancer, it was a primary tumour that had not spread. Osiris' vet(s) have been wonderful throughout his life. He is a terrific boy, full of energy, enthusiasm, fun and love - and worth every penny we have spent, and every tear we have shed over his health challenges! We feel incredibly lucky to have had such a positive outcome. I saw from your site that you've had a tough day in terms of sad diagnoses. I'm sure your patients' owners feel as my wife and I do - that no matter whether we get good news or bad about our pets (we have two others), our vet is right there with us, doing his best.

Thanks so much for the kind words. Fortunately, in this business the good days outnumber the bad!

Thanks for sharing about your cat's interesting case. So glad all went well!

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (10624 views)

Summer shaving? Is it ok to shave my dogs coat in the summer? will that help to make him... (8817 views)

Older cat with vomiting and white nose. My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a... (16059 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (8828 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (5808 views)

lump on spay incision Hello Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed 5 days ago. Her incision looks wonderful... (26078 views)

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (12153 views)

Dog gagging and coughing. My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does... (237159 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (8865 views)

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (6988 views)