Limping, stiff chihuahua.

Breed: Chiuahua
Hey my chiuahua dog hasn't been himself lately. He walks really stiff and can not walk on one leg, bur the leg is not broken and when I touch it it doesn't seem to hurt. When he walks on a soft surface jumps on/from something he starts squiling and I know he is in pain. He shakes all the time and his body is cold. Can you please tell me what could be wrong with him?

This is a tough question to answer without seeing your dog. One common reason for chihuahuas to limp on one leg is something called a luxating patella. This problem will sometimes go away on its own, but some dogs need surgery for it.

But, if he is shaking then it sounds like something more serious. It could be a problem with his back, which can be very serious.

I would advise that you take him to the vet as soon as you can. If a back problem or spinal injury goes untreated, some dogs can actually end up with paralysis.

Splenic mastocytosis in a cat I was told for cats with splenic mastocytosis, the treatment of choice is... (15377 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello Dr. Marie, I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday... (12051 views)

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (6467 views)

Rat bleeding from eye. It started about 4-5 weeks ago when I noticed my girl was bleeding from her eye and... (23189 views)

Vita Calm in dogs? i was wondering if i could safly use vitacalm for hosres on my dog for his... (11003 views)

Feral cat with eye infection. We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he... (34287 views)

Dog looks thin. I have a 9 1/2 year old Yorkshire Terrier. Recently she has begun to get thin. I... (21291 views)

Parvo virus vaccine question. can dogs get parvo even if they are vaccinated?... (12441 views)

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (29102 views)

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (7488 views)