Limping, stiff chihuahua.

Breed: Chiuahua
Hey my chiuahua dog hasn't been himself lately. He walks really stiff and can not walk on one leg, bur the leg is not broken and when I touch it it doesn't seem to hurt. When he walks on a soft surface jumps on/from something he starts squiling and I know he is in pain. He shakes all the time and his body is cold. Can you please tell me what could be wrong with him?

This is a tough question to answer without seeing your dog. One common reason for chihuahuas to limp on one leg is something called a luxating patella. This problem will sometimes go away on its own, but some dogs need surgery for it.

But, if he is shaking then it sounds like something more serious. It could be a problem with his back, which can be very serious.

I would advise that you take him to the vet as soon as you can. If a back problem or spinal injury goes untreated, some dogs can actually end up with paralysis.

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (7814 views)

Good cat foods. Hi Dr.! I'm currently a new cat owner. I found peachie wandering near the new... (14821 views)

Pimple on ear. My dog has a pimple on his ear. Its on the inside flap. It only bother him when i... (14536 views)

Chronic ehrlichiosis treatment. I have a 7 year old Black Russian Terrier that was diagnosed 1 year ago with... (14501 views)

Swollen foot because of bandage. Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get... (77859 views)

Dark spot on eye. scooby recently has a darker spot on his pupil, other than that his health is... (27745 views)

How to get cat to lose weight. I have an overweight cat - we have gotten him down by three pounds but needs to lose... (8172 views)

maggots in guinea pig's cage Dear dr marie, i found maggots in my guinea pig's cage. So i want to know if he has... (14193 views)

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (21672 views)

Dog has a runny eye. Hi Marie! Aprox. 2 months ago, Hope's one eye started to water and run a clear... (21053 views)