Itchy hamster.

Breed: hamster
What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what if it is hyper and quick and energetic? Is that bad? One more thing...how often do hamsters get sick?

Hi Ivna! Hamsters often do groom themselves frequently. However, if you have noticed that your hamster is suddenly licking and scratching more than usual then there may be something going on.

Hamsters can get some parasites such as mites (demodex and sarcoptic mange), or ringworm which is a fungal infection. All of these conditions should cause some skin lesions or hair loss. If you think she may have one of these conditions then a vet visit is a good idea.

An energentic hamster is a good thing!

Hmm...how often do hamsters get sick? Well, usually I only see sick hamsters if they are old and dying. Hamsters do not handle illness well and when they do get sick they often don't survive (but that is not always the case!).

Hope princess is ok!

Cat has fleas. My poor cat has fleas, he is losing hair and is just miserable. I am looking for a... (4645 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (9792 views)

Why did my dog die? Hi, My dog died recently. She was 11 yr.s 9 mo.s old, about 55-60 lbs.,... (150765 views)

Diabetic cat with seizures. I've inherited a diabetic cat with a history of seizures. Since bringing him home,... (18486 views)

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (6104 views)

Kitten can't hold head up. I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week... (11077 views)

One small testicle. I have a 25 week old male pup who had 2 normal testicles at 8 weeks old. At about 10... (20450 views)

Vet lost the lump! My cat had surgery last Thursday to have a cyst on his toe removed to see if it was... (9456 views)

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (5555 views)

Cat sick after prednisone. Two weeks ago LittleMan had something like an infection in the corners of his mouth... (18482 views)