Itchy hamster.

Breed: hamster
What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what if it is hyper and quick and energetic? Is that bad? One more thing...how often do hamsters get sick?

Hi Ivna! Hamsters often do groom themselves frequently. However, if you have noticed that your hamster is suddenly licking and scratching more than usual then there may be something going on.

Hamsters can get some parasites such as mites (demodex and sarcoptic mange), or ringworm which is a fungal infection. All of these conditions should cause some skin lesions or hair loss. If you think she may have one of these conditions then a vet visit is a good idea.

An energentic hamster is a good thing!

Hmm...how often do hamsters get sick? Well, usually I only see sick hamsters if they are old and dying. Hamsters do not handle illness well and when they do get sick they often don't survive (but that is not always the case!).

Hope princess is ok!

Heavy breathing in dog. My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time,... (14818 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (18951 views)

Achilles tendon problems in cat. Chloe recently started walking with her heel down to the ground on the right side(2... (10532 views)

Scabs on cat's ear and neck. Hi. I adopted a cat and she was doing fine. I noticed that she was loosing hair in... (15874 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (31055 views)

Arthritis in elbow. My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has... (15010 views)

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (4742 views)

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (14990 views)

Draining fluid for heart failure. My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and... (16759 views)

Cat itchy on neck. Recently my cat has been scratching in the area just below her neck at the top of... (9717 views)