Blood at end of urine stream.

Breed: Lhasa Apso/Shih Tzu
My female dog has had blood in her urine for 2 months. I live in Belize, Central America and the Vets here do not have the technology to determine the cause. Any suggestions would be helpful. She is still playful and eats regularly. The blood only shows up at the end of her stream or when she is trying to mark her territory. She is not in any pain.

Thank you,

Selma

Sorry to hear that Tiki is having this problem! This will be a tough one to solve if tests are not available to you.

My first concern with her symptoms would be that she may have a bladder stone. Does your vet have any capability to take xrays? If so, this would be how we would determine if there is a stone there.

Some types of bladder stones can be dissolved by feeding a special type of prescription food. However, many need surgery in order to be cured.

Another possible reason is a urinary tract infection. Has she been on a course of antibiotics? Most infections are treated quite easily with a 2 week course of antibiotics. However, sometimes we will have a resistant strain of bacteria. If this were my case I would be sending a urine sample to the lab to determine if I needed a special type of antibiotic in order to clear this up.

I wish I could help more! I hope she does ok! Dr. Marie.

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (23394 views)

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (20268 views)

Cat peeing on the carpet. My cat will not stop urinating on the carpet, she has seen a vet and has no medical... (12796 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (6352 views)

Pink spot on dog. I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest... (27812 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (20176 views)

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (6247 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid... (4832 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (8125 views)

What does rat poison look like? I live in a town right outside of Boston, MA. We recently got a lot of snow, so they... (19256 views)