Blood at end of urine stream.

Breed: Lhasa Apso/Shih Tzu
My female dog has had blood in her urine for 2 months. I live in Belize, Central America and the Vets here do not have the technology to determine the cause. Any suggestions would be helpful. She is still playful and eats regularly. The blood only shows up at the end of her stream or when she is trying to mark her territory. She is not in any pain.

Thank you,

Selma

Sorry to hear that Tiki is having this problem! This will be a tough one to solve if tests are not available to you.

My first concern with her symptoms would be that she may have a bladder stone. Does your vet have any capability to take xrays? If so, this would be how we would determine if there is a stone there.

Some types of bladder stones can be dissolved by feeding a special type of prescription food. However, many need surgery in order to be cured.

Another possible reason is a urinary tract infection. Has she been on a course of antibiotics? Most infections are treated quite easily with a 2 week course of antibiotics. However, sometimes we will have a resistant strain of bacteria. If this were my case I would be sending a urine sample to the lab to determine if I needed a special type of antibiotic in order to clear this up.

I wish I could help more! I hope she does ok! Dr. Marie.

Corn in dog food. I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and... (15715 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hey Dr. Marie (and Happy Holidays!) I noticed about a week ago while petting my... (39746 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (11891 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (22553 views)

Itchy dog. Desirae was gave to us,she was dirty and i belive she was kept outside,when we got... (6226 views)

Dog barked during euthanasia. Hi Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought... (13197 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (12180 views)

Diarrhea with blood Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be... (14110 views)

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (12573 views)

Paralyzed Rottweiler. 10 yr old rottie mix 100 lbs suddenly became unable to move or walk 5 days ago. He... (13615 views)