Blood at end of urine stream.

Breed: Lhasa Apso/Shih Tzu
My female dog has had blood in her urine for 2 months. I live in Belize, Central America and the Vets here do not have the technology to determine the cause. Any suggestions would be helpful. She is still playful and eats regularly. The blood only shows up at the end of her stream or when she is trying to mark her territory. She is not in any pain.

Thank you,

Selma

Sorry to hear that Tiki is having this problem! This will be a tough one to solve if tests are not available to you.

My first concern with her symptoms would be that she may have a bladder stone. Does your vet have any capability to take xrays? If so, this would be how we would determine if there is a stone there.

Some types of bladder stones can be dissolved by feeding a special type of prescription food. However, many need surgery in order to be cured.

Another possible reason is a urinary tract infection. Has she been on a course of antibiotics? Most infections are treated quite easily with a 2 week course of antibiotics. However, sometimes we will have a resistant strain of bacteria. If this were my case I would be sending a urine sample to the lab to determine if I needed a special type of antibiotic in order to clear this up.

I wish I could help more! I hope she does ok! Dr. Marie.

Bad odor from dog's behind. I have a border Collie-lab male 4 year old dog. About a week go I noticed that my... (13245 views)

Sores on dog's nose. Dr. Marie- Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his... (81280 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (9881 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (10580 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (5507 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (10781 views)

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (7299 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (217474 views)

Vomiting and trouble with urination and stool. My 5 year old goldendoodle vomited (not food regurgitation) this morning, is trying... (22905 views)

UTI and straining. I have a feral cat that hangs around my workplace. I have had him neutered. He also... (13324 views)