Sore hips in 1 year old cat.

Breed: Short Hair
I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8 weeks. At the time of adoption the vet said it was a normal gait for a kitten, but she is older now and still "waddles". She is definitely a lot more tentative about leaps off of furniture than our other cat.

She is playful, loving fun and otherwise happy. She is about a head shorter than our other cat (who is 2) and has a belly, but does not eat much (my guess is it is because she doesn't run around as much).

I've read about serious issues with stiff legs but I was wondering if it was really an issue if she has had it since birth. My daughter is so in love with this cuddle bug that she would be devastated if something happened to her.

Hi and thanks for asking a question. This is not a common situation. I haven't seen too many young cats that have stiffness like you are describing.

If this was my case I really would be recommending some xrays. I would want to take an xray that looks at Belle's hips and her spine.

I have seen some young cats that have something called Legge-Perthes disease. This is a condition that affects the blood supply to the hip joint. It is very painful. It can usually be cured with surgery, however.

I have also seen cats have unusual spinal deformities that can cause problems like you have described.

If there is a problem and surgery is not an option then the xrays should tell us how we can fix the problem. It may be worthwhile to put Belle on an anti-inflammatory medication such as Metacam or to put her on a more natural supplement like Cosequin.

If I didn't find anything unusual on the xray, I would likely want to try a two week course of an anti-inflammatory to see if it makes a difference. If so, then we know there is a pain issue and she should be treated.

One final thought. I don't think this is it, but some cats with a condition called cerebellar hypoplasia can have a very strange gait. This question I answered previously has some videos of cats with cerebellar hypoplasia: videos of cats with cerebellar hypoplasia. If you think this is how Belle is walking, then let me know and we can talk more about that.

Otherwise, I really do think a vet visit and some xrays is a good idea.

Hope everything works out ok!

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (9753 views)

Trifexis side effects I just read your article about Trifexis and was very disturbed. We have three... (7500 views)

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (10803 views)

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (7559 views)

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (20035 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis. Jet has started making sounds like he is gasping for breath and then coughs. This... (13162 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (23537 views)

Stimulus sensitive seizures. Hello, My dog is part pomerainean and part something else. He is about 25lbs. He is... (19247 views)

Coughing after spay. My cat was spayed 6 days ago. At first she was great.Incision looked great and still... (14115 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (9524 views)