Sore hips in 1 year old cat.

Breed: Short Hair
I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8 weeks. At the time of adoption the vet said it was a normal gait for a kitten, but she is older now and still "waddles". She is definitely a lot more tentative about leaps off of furniture than our other cat.

She is playful, loving fun and otherwise happy. She is about a head shorter than our other cat (who is 2) and has a belly, but does not eat much (my guess is it is because she doesn't run around as much).

I've read about serious issues with stiff legs but I was wondering if it was really an issue if she has had it since birth. My daughter is so in love with this cuddle bug that she would be devastated if something happened to her.

Hi and thanks for asking a question. This is not a common situation. I haven't seen too many young cats that have stiffness like you are describing.

If this was my case I really would be recommending some xrays. I would want to take an xray that looks at Belle's hips and her spine.

I have seen some young cats that have something called Legge-Perthes disease. This is a condition that affects the blood supply to the hip joint. It is very painful. It can usually be cured with surgery, however.

I have also seen cats have unusual spinal deformities that can cause problems like you have described.

If there is a problem and surgery is not an option then the xrays should tell us how we can fix the problem. It may be worthwhile to put Belle on an anti-inflammatory medication such as Metacam or to put her on a more natural supplement like Cosequin.

If I didn't find anything unusual on the xray, I would likely want to try a two week course of an anti-inflammatory to see if it makes a difference. If so, then we know there is a pain issue and she should be treated.

One final thought. I don't think this is it, but some cats with a condition called cerebellar hypoplasia can have a very strange gait. This question I answered previously has some videos of cats with cerebellar hypoplasia: videos of cats with cerebellar hypoplasia. If you think this is how Belle is walking, then let me know and we can talk more about that.

Otherwise, I really do think a vet visit and some xrays is a good idea.

Hope everything works out ok!

Are bully sticks safe? My dog loves to chew on bully sticks. I think it's kind of gross that it is a... (17847 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (5425 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (19737 views)

bloat in boerboels Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about... (9322 views)

Older cat missing litter box. My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor... (14430 views)

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (8758 views)

Older dog having seizures. She has been having more vestibular events lately and closer to each other and I'm... (7122 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (6807 views)

Biting at cysts. I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several... (7921 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (21088 views)