Cat losing hair in patches

Breed: mixed
Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots started appearing on his sides and we realized it is where his skin is showing. HE has no visible skin irritation just spots with no fur. What could be causing this?

Hi and thanks for your question. There are a number of things that can cause a cat to lose hair in patches.

Does he have any matts in his fur? I have seen a number of cats who had bald spots because they had groomed away a matt. Matts are usually really close to the skin and so when they are groomed away they leave a bald spot.

Is the spot itchy? Does it have any crustiness or lesions? If so, then I would be worried about a bacterial infection or a fungal infection such as ringworm. Ringworm doesn't always have to have lesions, but usually it does.

An allergy to something (i.e. fleas) is possible but this will usually cause scabs and itchiness.

If the spots are not bothering him then it is ok to just leave him for now and see how things go. If he does have matts I would highly advise having a groomer get them out for you and then brushing him regularly.

I hope he is ok!

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (9560 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (6718 views)

Leaking urine on bed. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog has had bladder problems since she was a puppy. She will... (4673 views)

Pitbull with rash Mister has been treated all his life for a skin rash he has. Before this year he... (10227 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (7378 views)

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (32008 views)

High LDDS and ALKP Hello Dr. Marie You might remember me and Oreo from past questions? Well, Oreo... (5310 views)

Loud noises from belly. I recently noticed loud noises coming from my 14 year old ragdolls tummy. She does... (8701 views)

Is Raid toxic to cats? My fiance lives in Florida and sprays Raid insecticide to kill bugs. In a few months... (94594 views)

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (6350 views)