Cat losing hair in patches

Breed: mixed
Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots started appearing on his sides and we realized it is where his skin is showing. HE has no visible skin irritation just spots with no fur. What could be causing this?

Hi and thanks for your question. There are a number of things that can cause a cat to lose hair in patches.

Does he have any matts in his fur? I have seen a number of cats who had bald spots because they had groomed away a matt. Matts are usually really close to the skin and so when they are groomed away they leave a bald spot.

Is the spot itchy? Does it have any crustiness or lesions? If so, then I would be worried about a bacterial infection or a fungal infection such as ringworm. Ringworm doesn't always have to have lesions, but usually it does.

An allergy to something (i.e. fleas) is possible but this will usually cause scabs and itchiness.

If the spots are not bothering him then it is ok to just leave him for now and see how things go. If he does have matts I would highly advise having a groomer get them out for you and then brushing him regularly.

I hope he is ok!

Blood in stool. hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure... (46848 views)

Hamster too cold? hi! my hamster has been sleeping alot. she is usally up sometimes during the day and... (8086 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (8215 views)

Vet is pushing veterinary foods. I have a new to me vet who is insistent on my giving my cats 'veterinary' food. My... (7649 views)

Did I make the right decision? Hello, I guess my question isn't so much of a question but more of a plea for... (43892 views)

Gradual change of food? Hello, I reside in South Korea and I am the father of 3 cocker spaniels. Recently... (9589 views)

Liver cancer questions. My dog Penny was on trilo for Cushings - Dec 2010- then she went into Addisons went... (8031 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (15533 views)

Toxic to pets? I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was... (6481 views)

Tail fell off. My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues... (11589 views)