Cat losing hair in patches

Breed: mixed
Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots started appearing on his sides and we realized it is where his skin is showing. HE has no visible skin irritation just spots with no fur. What could be causing this?

Hi and thanks for your question. There are a number of things that can cause a cat to lose hair in patches.

Does he have any matts in his fur? I have seen a number of cats who had bald spots because they had groomed away a matt. Matts are usually really close to the skin and so when they are groomed away they leave a bald spot.

Is the spot itchy? Does it have any crustiness or lesions? If so, then I would be worried about a bacterial infection or a fungal infection such as ringworm. Ringworm doesn't always have to have lesions, but usually it does.

An allergy to something (i.e. fleas) is possible but this will usually cause scabs and itchiness.

If the spots are not bothering him then it is ok to just leave him for now and see how things go. If he does have matts I would highly advise having a groomer get them out for you and then brushing him regularly.

I hope he is ok!

Bleeding anal glands. My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal... (10023 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (39256 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (19576 views)

Dog can't move tail. My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems... (11642 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (10934 views)

Vet lost the lump! My cat had surgery last Thursday to have a cyst on his toe removed to see if it was... (10570 views)

Rat pees and poops on owner. I have a baby rat that poops and pies on me when she gets out of the... (10653 views)

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (17114 views)

Toenail problems. We adopted Tiger (62lb what appears to be shepard/boxer mix) in May and about a... (8255 views)

Head tremors and clingy dog. For the first time in 12 years my dog has started following me around obsessively... (9140 views)