Cat losing hair in patches

Breed: mixed
Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots started appearing on his sides and we realized it is where his skin is showing. HE has no visible skin irritation just spots with no fur. What could be causing this?

Hi and thanks for your question. There are a number of things that can cause a cat to lose hair in patches.

Does he have any matts in his fur? I have seen a number of cats who had bald spots because they had groomed away a matt. Matts are usually really close to the skin and so when they are groomed away they leave a bald spot.

Is the spot itchy? Does it have any crustiness or lesions? If so, then I would be worried about a bacterial infection or a fungal infection such as ringworm. Ringworm doesn't always have to have lesions, but usually it does.

An allergy to something (i.e. fleas) is possible but this will usually cause scabs and itchiness.

If the spots are not bothering him then it is ok to just leave him for now and see how things go. If he does have matts I would highly advise having a groomer get them out for you and then brushing him regularly.

I hope he is ok!

Puppy ate grapes. My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9... (7549 views)

Scabs on cat's ears. Our cat has spots on her ears that look like bites or sores. We have had her to the... (8502 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (38483 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (5541 views)

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (8367 views)

Black spot on Hamster's skin. my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a... (17653 views)

Itchy ear Hi Dr. I have a 9 month old neutered male golden. Beginning last Saturday he... (13187 views)

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (35920 views)

Coughing puppy. My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up as if she has something stuck in... (11083 views)

Cat has scabs on neck. Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly... (11614 views)