9 month old puppy pregnant?

Breed: Apso Lhasa
My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was stuck to her this morning.. what should I do? Would she live through if she is pregnant?

This is actually quite a common question that I get asked. Even though your dog was very young, she likely will get pregnant if she was tied to a male.

It's not a good idea to let a dog mate with her father because there is a greatly increased risk of the puppies having genetic problems.

Most dogs that get pregnant at a young age still do ok and are able to have their puppies just fine. But, as with any pregnancy you need to be prepared for the worst. Make sure you have some sort of plan in case she needs a C Section. A C Section can cost a few thousand dollars sometimes.

The best plan may be to have her spayed. Most vets will still spay a pregnant dog. You will pay a little bit more, but in the long run this is likely the best option.

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (14751 views)

My dog wants to sniff everything. I have miniature schnauzer who refuses to poop in “timely manner outside. I take... (13014 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia in kittens. hi, my cat recently had kittens, their are four kittens, two cant walk or barely... (23097 views)

Chronic cat diarrhea. I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January.... (9709 views)

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (10312 views)

Previous leg injury. Dear Dr Marie, Recently I've taken in a rescued Greyhound. I immediately noticed,... (21670 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (14359 views)

Did raw food cause death? Hi, Dr. Marie, My sweet Shiva, who has been with me since an 8-wk old pup in 2002,... (10052 views)

Low specific gravity. This is regarding a 9 year old male pitbull, neutered with no past medical history.... (9938 views)

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (29283 views)