9 month old puppy pregnant?

Breed: Apso Lhasa
My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was stuck to her this morning.. what should I do? Would she live through if she is pregnant?

This is actually quite a common question that I get asked. Even though your dog was very young, she likely will get pregnant if she was tied to a male.

It's not a good idea to let a dog mate with her father because there is a greatly increased risk of the puppies having genetic problems.

Most dogs that get pregnant at a young age still do ok and are able to have their puppies just fine. But, as with any pregnancy you need to be prepared for the worst. Make sure you have some sort of plan in case she needs a C Section. A C Section can cost a few thousand dollars sometimes.

The best plan may be to have her spayed. Most vets will still spay a pregnant dog. You will pay a little bit more, but in the long run this is likely the best option.

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (6279 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (18686 views)

Black spots on belly and chest. Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were... (216687 views)

OK to keep cats in a small room? I am concerned for two cats that I know. They live in a house where they are... (5007 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (19769 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (7648 views)

Behavior after having puppies My dog had puppies three weeks ago. She started acting funny and hid underneath the... (13961 views)

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (25329 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (14220 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (13296 views)