9 month old puppy pregnant?

Breed: Apso Lhasa
My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was stuck to her this morning.. what should I do? Would she live through if she is pregnant?

This is actually quite a common question that I get asked. Even though your dog was very young, she likely will get pregnant if she was tied to a male.

It's not a good idea to let a dog mate with her father because there is a greatly increased risk of the puppies having genetic problems.

Most dogs that get pregnant at a young age still do ok and are able to have their puppies just fine. But, as with any pregnancy you need to be prepared for the worst. Make sure you have some sort of plan in case she needs a C Section. A C Section can cost a few thousand dollars sometimes.

The best plan may be to have her spayed. Most vets will still spay a pregnant dog. You will pay a little bit more, but in the long run this is likely the best option.

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (14508 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (38001 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (23174 views)

Mesenchymal tumor Need some input. My dog (she's 6)had developed a small lump/bump on her head above... (11019 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (14557 views)

Dog with FCE Dr. M, We have a 40 pound bulldog terrier mix. Eight days ago he was fighting with... (10063 views)

Snorted out vaccine. Hello Dr. Marie....Rianna had her booster for Bordatella first of October..she has... (11615 views)

Vomiting Dog My dog isn't eating, and when she drinks water, she throws it up. Her stomach seems... (12490 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (25497 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (17087 views)