9 month old puppy pregnant?

Breed: Apso Lhasa
My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was stuck to her this morning.. what should I do? Would she live through if she is pregnant?

This is actually quite a common question that I get asked. Even though your dog was very young, she likely will get pregnant if she was tied to a male.

It's not a good idea to let a dog mate with her father because there is a greatly increased risk of the puppies having genetic problems.

Most dogs that get pregnant at a young age still do ok and are able to have their puppies just fine. But, as with any pregnancy you need to be prepared for the worst. Make sure you have some sort of plan in case she needs a C Section. A C Section can cost a few thousand dollars sometimes.

The best plan may be to have her spayed. Most vets will still spay a pregnant dog. You will pay a little bit more, but in the long run this is likely the best option.

Vomiting and diarrhea. Dear Dr. Marie, I adopted a shelter dog from the southern US last September. He is... (10095 views)

Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma. my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone... (7991 views)

Is spinach good for dogs? Is spinach toxic for... (146704 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (7315 views)

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (20548 views)

Boxer fainted. My 1 1/2 year old boxer fainted or collapsed yesterday evening as he was walking to... (7685 views)

Does my puppy have a UTI? My puggle puppy usually tells me when she has to go out. But for the past two-three... (10260 views)

How to get cat to lose weight. I have an overweight cat - we have gotten him down by three pounds but needs to lose... (7607 views)

Chihuahua fell from couch. Hello. I have a sweet, loving, happy, and spoiled female chihuahua, weighing about... (9441 views)

Loose black stools. Sid is older, lately his stools ate loose and turn black? He can tell time and... (4550 views)