9 month old puppy pregnant?

Breed: Apso Lhasa
My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was stuck to her this morning.. what should I do? Would she live through if she is pregnant?

This is actually quite a common question that I get asked. Even though your dog was very young, she likely will get pregnant if she was tied to a male.

It's not a good idea to let a dog mate with her father because there is a greatly increased risk of the puppies having genetic problems.

Most dogs that get pregnant at a young age still do ok and are able to have their puppies just fine. But, as with any pregnancy you need to be prepared for the worst. Make sure you have some sort of plan in case she needs a C Section. A C Section can cost a few thousand dollars sometimes.

The best plan may be to have her spayed. Most vets will still spay a pregnant dog. You will pay a little bit more, but in the long run this is likely the best option.

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (11240 views)

Dog inhaled bleach. Our dog is having trouble breathing after inhaling Clorox. It was accidental my... (51290 views)

Poodle with leg problems. My dog is a small size poodle. she is now 2 years old when she turned 1 she started... (9403 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (7005 views)

Why is cat urinating in the house? Hi Dr. Marie, Recently, my one cat Habibi has started urinating outside of the... (6620 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (8952 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (6972 views)

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (12885 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (71765 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (8364 views)