Chihuahua has back problem.

Breed: Chihuahua
Hi! One of my four chihuahuas, Ginger, has been having a back problem for a while now. It takes her a while to jump on the couch or a chair. I was wondering if this was normal or serious?

I always take back problems seriously.

Many times when a dog has a back issue we can treat them successfully with rest and pain medication prescribed by the vet.

But, if left untreated, this can turn into a serious spinal injury such as a prolapsed disc. This type of problem needs an expensive surgery to be cured.

I would advise you have your vet see Ginger as soon as possible. In the meantime do not let her jump up or do stairs and keep her as quiet as possible.

Cat is sneezing a lot. I have a two year old cat. I adopted her from a shelter last December. When I... (30793 views)

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (14980 views)

Dog can't move tail. My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems... (11691 views)

Corn in dog food. I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and... (15617 views)

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (56136 views)

Terbutaline and atenolol. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m interested in your thoughts on what may have caused my cat’s... (16410 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hey Dr. Marie (and Happy Holidays!) I noticed about a week ago while petting my... (39345 views)

Peeing in house. We live in a 2 story 5 bedroom house. I have a male 14 year old pure bred Ragdoll... (8867 views)

Is my cat pregnant? we just opened our home to a female stray cat. i estimated her to be a year old or... (9912 views)

Swollen eyelid. My dog had one lower eyelid swollen inside. I discover this after she had... (18067 views)