Euthanize aggressive dog?

Breed: Pit Mix
I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted him, he started showing signs of aggression. While on the couch he nipped my 2 year old. All of a sudden out of the blue he got up and went straght for him and nipped my 2 year olds face. While on walks he has nipped at a biker, someone who tried to pet him, and a friend that put her hand out for him to smell it. He has lunged, growled, barked at other people while out for walks. He gets walked five times a day, a total of at least 2 hours each day.

I have taken him to a trainer and a behaviorist. I started to use behavior modification which the behavorist recommended. While out for walks he uses a head halter, I move him away from other people/dogs and make him sit. He was doing well with all of this.

But a little over a week ago he was on the couch with another member of the household. He was licking her, and wanted her to pet him. She did and then moved away from him. He stared at her and when she went to look at him he made the most vicious noise I have ever heard and went at her face. She had to go to the hospital, but he didn't do to much phsycial damage.

I can not have him in our household. This is where I am torn. I can take him back to the shelter and they can decide whether to euthanize him, or re-adopt him. Or I can take him to my vet and euthanize him. I do not have any experience with aggressive dogs. As a vet, what would the best avenue be for this dog?

I am so very sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately I have seen this many times before.

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things that you should do with an aggressive dog. Please don't feel that you have failed in raising this dog. I will often hear people say, "There are no bad dogs just bad owners" and that is so wrong. I have met several dogs who have serious aggression issues and have been that way from birth. Personally, I believe that dogs like this have been born with some type of mental illness.

This may be hard to hear, but in a case like yours I would recommend euthanasia for the dog. He has proven that he will bite without provocation.

I have seen one dog like this who has been retrained. However, this dog was initially in a bad home surrounded by aggressive people and drugs. She was moved to a home with a very loving owner and was successfully rehabilitated. But, in your situation, Nubby is already in a good home. It is unlikely that he is going to be able to be retrained.

My concern is that someone who means well will adopt him and try to rehabilitate him and in the process someone gets seriously hurt.

Again, when I see a dog who has bitten a child and also attacked people without being provoked I consider this a dangerous dog. I have no hesitation in euthanizing a dog like this.

I understand what you are going through as I went through a similar situation with my dog when I was in high school. He would attack me with no warning. We tried medications, trainers and a veterinary behavioral specialist and he still continued to attack and we eventually had him put to sleep.

I'm so sorry for this bad news. I hope it helps with your decision making.

Thank you very much. I have done a lot if research and it made me feel like I was a bad owner. My dog has an appointment with the veterinarian to discuss this all further. Thank you again.

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (8481 views)

Cat eating less than normal. My cat Noir hasn't been feeling well for about 5 days now. He is a 3 year old,... (67197 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (7399 views)

Dog biting bas of tail, but no fleas. Hi, I have an otherwise healthy chihuahua who has always been a foot chewer but has... (224333 views)

No bowel movements after parvo. I have a seven month old poodle mix puppy with parvovirus. He was a puppy someone... (21428 views)

Persistent hymen in dog. Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown... (12527 views)

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (11650 views)

Bad odor from dog's behind. I have a border Collie-lab male 4 year old dog. About a week go I noticed that my... (11557 views)

Dog has an upset stomach. Hi, (again) Dr. Marie: For the past week, Jammy has been having an upset stomach... (10632 views)

Heterochromia in a cat. I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow... (10490 views)