Dog eats cat poop.

Breed: Border Collie
I've caught my dog eating out of our kitten's litter box twice in the past two days. The box is now out of her reach, but I want to know if I should be concerned about her getting kitty litter. She couldn't have gotten much (about a mouthful or two...but she mostly got kitty feces). What would you recommend?

(Just so you know, we use Kitten Attract brand litter.)

Thank you!

Thanks for a great question!

It's crazy how much dogs enjoy eating cat poop. I will never understand the mind of a dog.

There really isn't much of a concern about a dog eating a small amount of litter. In theory, if a dog ate enough litter it could cause a big clump that could cause an intestinal blockage, but in 12 years of practice I have never seen this happen, and I have seen a LOT of dogs that eat cat feces.

There could possibly be a concern for parasites. If the kitten had parasites such as roundworms these could be transmitted to the dog when he eats the stool. However, roundworms are only contagious if the stool has been sitting for 2-3 days. So, if you are cleaning the box regularly this shouldn't be an issue.

Other than this being kind of gross, there really shouldn't be a health risk.

There are some things you can do to try to stop this habit:

1. Stand hidden and watch your dog go towards fresh stool in the litter box. The moment he puts his mouth on it make a loud noise, such as shaking a can with rocks, or using a compressed air can that is made to produce a loud noise.

2. Booby trap some poop. What you do here is buy some bitter apple spray and spray it on top of your cat's poop. Then, when your dog eats it it will truly taste gross. However, if you do this, change the litter each time. You don't want your cat getting it on his paws and then licking it off.

3. Create a room where the door is only big enough for the cat to get through. You can do this by putting a chain on the door so that it only opens a crack (enough for the cat to get through), or by cutting a hole in the door that only the cat can get through.

Hyperaldosteronism? My niece's 12 yr old cat vomits about every 6 days, gets dehydrated, listless and... (5847 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (37133 views)

Palliative care vs. euthanasia? Hello. First let me say that this turned out to be long and probably rambling. ... (13225 views)

My dog is deaf. Almost total deaf within the last 3 months. 14 yr. old english pointer. Female. In... (7882 views)

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (16229 views)

Swollen ear. My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear,... (13751 views)

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (9550 views)

Rabies from my dog? my 70 days old cocker spaniel bit my toe and there ws little bleeding and i cleaned... (6236 views)

Cat shaking after flea treatment. I accidentally treated my kitten with a store bought flea treatment meant for dogs... (30761 views)

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (22671 views)