Dog eats cat poop.

Breed: Border Collie
I've caught my dog eating out of our kitten's litter box twice in the past two days. The box is now out of her reach, but I want to know if I should be concerned about her getting kitty litter. She couldn't have gotten much (about a mouthful or two...but she mostly got kitty feces). What would you recommend?

(Just so you know, we use Kitten Attract brand litter.)

Thank you!

Thanks for a great question!

It's crazy how much dogs enjoy eating cat poop. I will never understand the mind of a dog.

There really isn't much of a concern about a dog eating a small amount of litter. In theory, if a dog ate enough litter it could cause a big clump that could cause an intestinal blockage, but in 12 years of practice I have never seen this happen, and I have seen a LOT of dogs that eat cat feces.

There could possibly be a concern for parasites. If the kitten had parasites such as roundworms these could be transmitted to the dog when he eats the stool. However, roundworms are only contagious if the stool has been sitting for 2-3 days. So, if you are cleaning the box regularly this shouldn't be an issue.

Other than this being kind of gross, there really shouldn't be a health risk.

There are some things you can do to try to stop this habit:

1. Stand hidden and watch your dog go towards fresh stool in the litter box. The moment he puts his mouth on it make a loud noise, such as shaking a can with rocks, or using a compressed air can that is made to produce a loud noise.

2. Booby trap some poop. What you do here is buy some bitter apple spray and spray it on top of your cat's poop. Then, when your dog eats it it will truly taste gross. However, if you do this, change the litter each time. You don't want your cat getting it on his paws and then licking it off.

3. Create a room where the door is only big enough for the cat to get through. You can do this by putting a chain on the door so that it only opens a crack (enough for the cat to get through), or by cutting a hole in the door that only the cat can get through.

Bald spots on dog I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of... (14774 views)

Paralyzed dog now walking Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and... (9395 views)

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (8513 views)

Dog vomiting and limping. as of this morning, Izzy threw up twice, within about 30 seconds, and then stopped.... (71704 views)

Should liver biopsy be done? Dear Dr Haines, I have a 10 year old Bichon-Poodle-Maltese mix male dog (Max). ... (6864 views)

Licking at lump on leg. Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I... (26691 views)

Cat with broken pelvis-not eating. My kitty has a broken left pelvis, which happened 8 days ago. Today she has changed,... (11353 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (12670 views)

Puppy ich on skin. why does my puppy have white ich on his skin?Is there any cure to it?Is there any... (14780 views)

Dog can't stand. Vera is unable to stand on her back legs. She also cannot climb on to sofas or... (10701 views)