Dog eats cat poop.

Breed: Border Collie
I've caught my dog eating out of our kitten's litter box twice in the past two days. The box is now out of her reach, but I want to know if I should be concerned about her getting kitty litter. She couldn't have gotten much (about a mouthful or two...but she mostly got kitty feces). What would you recommend?

(Just so you know, we use Kitten Attract brand litter.)

Thank you!

Thanks for a great question!

It's crazy how much dogs enjoy eating cat poop. I will never understand the mind of a dog.

There really isn't much of a concern about a dog eating a small amount of litter. In theory, if a dog ate enough litter it could cause a big clump that could cause an intestinal blockage, but in 12 years of practice I have never seen this happen, and I have seen a LOT of dogs that eat cat feces.

There could possibly be a concern for parasites. If the kitten had parasites such as roundworms these could be transmitted to the dog when he eats the stool. However, roundworms are only contagious if the stool has been sitting for 2-3 days. So, if you are cleaning the box regularly this shouldn't be an issue.

Other than this being kind of gross, there really shouldn't be a health risk.

There are some things you can do to try to stop this habit:

1. Stand hidden and watch your dog go towards fresh stool in the litter box. The moment he puts his mouth on it make a loud noise, such as shaking a can with rocks, or using a compressed air can that is made to produce a loud noise.

2. Booby trap some poop. What you do here is buy some bitter apple spray and spray it on top of your cat's poop. Then, when your dog eats it it will truly taste gross. However, if you do this, change the litter each time. You don't want your cat getting it on his paws and then licking it off.

3. Create a room where the door is only big enough for the cat to get through. You can do this by putting a chain on the door so that it only opens a crack (enough for the cat to get through), or by cutting a hole in the door that only the cat can get through.

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (15113 views)

Good cat foods. Hi Dr.! I'm currently a new cat owner. I found peachie wandering near the new... (13960 views)

Lump with hole and something moving in it. Hi, i just got a new kitten 3 days ago, this morning i woke up and picked her up and... (12091 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (7059 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (8069 views)

Red bugs on my dog. my dog has red bugs on him i have no idea what to do PLZ ANSWER THIS I LOVE MY DOG I... (13339 views)

Bleeding anal glands. My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal... (8271 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (4774 views)

Grief after dog passed away. I recently lost my 13 year old German Shepherd mix. She is my first dog. My... (6378 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (5354 views)