Dog eats cat poop.

Breed: Border Collie
I've caught my dog eating out of our kitten's litter box twice in the past two days. The box is now out of her reach, but I want to know if I should be concerned about her getting kitty litter. She couldn't have gotten much (about a mouthful or two...but she mostly got kitty feces). What would you recommend?

(Just so you know, we use Kitten Attract brand litter.)

Thank you!

Thanks for a great question!

It's crazy how much dogs enjoy eating cat poop. I will never understand the mind of a dog.

There really isn't much of a concern about a dog eating a small amount of litter. In theory, if a dog ate enough litter it could cause a big clump that could cause an intestinal blockage, but in 12 years of practice I have never seen this happen, and I have seen a LOT of dogs that eat cat feces.

There could possibly be a concern for parasites. If the kitten had parasites such as roundworms these could be transmitted to the dog when he eats the stool. However, roundworms are only contagious if the stool has been sitting for 2-3 days. So, if you are cleaning the box regularly this shouldn't be an issue.

Other than this being kind of gross, there really shouldn't be a health risk.

There are some things you can do to try to stop this habit:

1. Stand hidden and watch your dog go towards fresh stool in the litter box. The moment he puts his mouth on it make a loud noise, such as shaking a can with rocks, or using a compressed air can that is made to produce a loud noise.

2. Booby trap some poop. What you do here is buy some bitter apple spray and spray it on top of your cat's poop. Then, when your dog eats it it will truly taste gross. However, if you do this, change the litter each time. You don't want your cat getting it on his paws and then licking it off.

3. Create a room where the door is only big enough for the cat to get through. You can do this by putting a chain on the door so that it only opens a crack (enough for the cat to get through), or by cutting a hole in the door that only the cat can get through.

Best ringworm treatment. We adopted Milo (5 months) from a shelter 2 weeks ago. He has two patches where skin... (10657 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (5069 views)

GNRH implant I am asking about the GnRH implant to bring a dog into heat. MY FIRST MAIN... (12277 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (6369 views)

Dog leaking urine. Good Evening. Charlot is a rescued dog so I do know his history prior to his new... (12332 views)

Cat is not eating. Our 6 year old male cat has not been eating or Drinking. He has not been using the... (16886 views)

Coconut milk for dogs. Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was... (107781 views)

What foods to give cats? Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum... (7161 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma. Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and... (14043 views)

Dog bite wound. Hello, My dog got bit by a Pit bull on Saturday 9/1. I was not able to take him to... (11649 views)