Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Lab swallowed a shotgun shell.

Species: Dog
Breed: Lab
Age: 3-6 months
my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i do?




Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Most likely this will pass through on its own. If it was a lead shell then you will want to see your vet to discuss whether to wait till it passes through or do surgery to remove it.

It would be great to have your vet take an xray to see where the shell is and see if the size is of concern. If it is large enough it could act as a foreign object and cause an obstruction.

It's not a bad idea to add 1/4 tsp of bran to each meal and then go through his poops to make sure it has come out.

Hope things are ok!

Dr. Marie

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Not well after vaccines. Had rabies distemper & bord shots fri Gave her frontline & heartguard yest night.... (10551 views)

Puppy ich on skin. why does my puppy have white ich on his skin?Is there any cure to it?Is there any... (15312 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (10571 views)

Damaged intestines? A few weeks ago I busted Diesel eating berries off a tree in the back yard. I told... (12605 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (10798 views)

Trembling chihuahua. SHE HAS BEEN TREMBLING FOR 2 DAYS AND HAS NOT EATEN FOR FOR 2 DAYS. OTHERWISE SHE... (10262 views)

Vasculitis and skin infection. Hey Dr. Marie, We've got a doberman with a hard-to-diagnose skin issue. Usually... (19758 views)

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (10379 views)

Mucus in kitten's eyes. I found a kittin this moring it appeared to have mucus around the eyes and nose. I... (25969 views)

Eyes rolled back in head. About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot.... (45855 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.