Lab swallowed a shotgun shell.

Breed: Lab
my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i do?

Most likely this will pass through on its own. If it was a lead shell then you will want to see your vet to discuss whether to wait till it passes through or do surgery to remove it.

It would be great to have your vet take an xray to see where the shell is and see if the size is of concern. If it is large enough it could act as a foreign object and cause an obstruction.

It's not a bad idea to add 1/4 tsp of bran to each meal and then go through his poops to make sure it has come out.

Hope things are ok!

Can't urinate after neuter. My boy cat was castrated yesterday he has been trying to wee but there is no wee... (7898 views)

Mom misses puppies. Our boxer had 2 pups both died, she has taken on a stuffed animal replacement but is... (7674 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (14729 views)

Dog looks thin. I have a 9 1/2 year old Yorkshire Terrier. Recently she has begun to get thin. I... (13794 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (17856 views)

Can I deworm a nursing female dog? BB is nursing 3 week old pups,can she be wormed while... (40060 views)

Painful dog. I have a small dog, under 20 pounds, that I rescued off the street in Mexico. I'm... (7877 views)

Profender and pregnant women. Hi there Dr. Marie This isn't a direct question about an animal but I'm wondering... (7936 views)

Dog with swollen face. our dog woke up with a swollen face. i think that something might have bitten him. ... (11276 views)

Restraint of dogs. Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the... (7825 views)