Lab swallowed a shotgun shell.

Breed: Lab
my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i do?

Most likely this will pass through on its own. If it was a lead shell then you will want to see your vet to discuss whether to wait till it passes through or do surgery to remove it.

It would be great to have your vet take an xray to see where the shell is and see if the size is of concern. If it is large enough it could act as a foreign object and cause an obstruction.

It's not a bad idea to add 1/4 tsp of bran to each meal and then go through his poops to make sure it has come out.

Hope things are ok!

How to keep dogs from breeding. Hi there, I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix... (5464 views)

Vomiting and congested. Got a new kitten Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now... (19043 views)

Steroid shot and NSAID? Hi Dr. Marie, Bare with me in my lengthy explanation :) I recently found out... (9224 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (65445 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (26742 views)

My dog is grieving. Good Day Dr. In March of 2011 we lost Lucy (Coton du Tulear) to heart disease. ... (13697 views)

Vomiting undigested food. My cat primarily eats dry food. She frequently vomits undigested food.What can I do... (12154 views)

Fleas, pale nose and sick. My cat Ava has lost alomot all of her hair and so much weight i can see her hip... (4936 views)

7 week old puppies have fleas. my puppy is getting eatin alive by fleas he is only 7 weeks old and is a very tiny... (9338 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (6404 views)