Lab swallowed a shotgun shell.

Breed: Lab
my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i do?

Most likely this will pass through on its own. If it was a lead shell then you will want to see your vet to discuss whether to wait till it passes through or do surgery to remove it.

It would be great to have your vet take an xray to see where the shell is and see if the size is of concern. If it is large enough it could act as a foreign object and cause an obstruction.

It's not a bad idea to add 1/4 tsp of bran to each meal and then go through his poops to make sure it has come out.

Hope things are ok!

Front leg and neck pain. Hi, I noticed last Thursday my dog being uncomfortable and by Saturday he started... (12793 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppy. Lady is almost 5 months now, she's a typical Aussie puppy. She lives with me, my... (7592 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (13984 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (8054 views)

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (10518 views)

Is spinach good for dogs? Is spinach toxic for... (149854 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (11689 views)

Pomeranian in pain. I have a 4 year old pom. All of a sudden, 3 weeks ago he started having abdominal... (15994 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. 10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings)... (23394 views)

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (7783 views)