Red bubble in corner of eye.

Breed: Bulldog
My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a bubble.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

Hi John. I think I know what you are describing. I have sent you a picture. Does your dog's eye look like this?

Yes! That's exactly what it looks like!

OK...it looks like your dog may have a condition called a cherry eye or in medical terms third eyelid prolapse.
The good news is that it is not an emergency to have it treated.

However, most likely it will need surgery in order to be fixed. In a very small number of dogs who have this condition the eyelid will go back into place within a few days. Most of the time though we need to put it back surgically.

This is sometimes a tricky surgery to do and a small percentage of dogs have the gland pop back out again after surgery. If that happens then we consider removing the gland. We don't remove the gland without first trying to replace it though because removing it can cause problems with tear production earlier on in life.

Thank you for that info!

You're very welcome!

Related question: Possible stye on dog's eye

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (21151 views)

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (8046 views)

Diaphragmatic hernia. Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues:... (7098 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (9511 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (11756 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppy. Lady is almost 5 months now, she's a typical Aussie puppy. She lives with me, my... (7531 views)

Did convenia cause death? Dear Dr. Marie, My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of... (12632 views)

Lump on dog's chest. My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an... (21558 views)

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (13164 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (11951 views)