Red bubble in corner of eye.

Breed: Bulldog
My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a bubble.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

Hi John. I think I know what you are describing. I have sent you a picture. Does your dog's eye look like this?

Yes! That's exactly what it looks like!

OK...it looks like your dog may have a condition called a cherry eye or in medical terms third eyelid prolapse.
The good news is that it is not an emergency to have it treated.

However, most likely it will need surgery in order to be fixed. In a very small number of dogs who have this condition the eyelid will go back into place within a few days. Most of the time though we need to put it back surgically.

This is sometimes a tricky surgery to do and a small percentage of dogs have the gland pop back out again after surgery. If that happens then we consider removing the gland. We don't remove the gland without first trying to replace it though because removing it can cause problems with tear production earlier on in life.

Thank you for that info!

You're very welcome!

Related question: Possible stye on dog's eye

Boxer with distended stomach and pale gums ******Urgent Please******CAN NOT AFFORD UPGRADE [Editor's Note: Questions are... (17794 views)

Dogs with occasional diarrhea. I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5... (32154 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (24780 views)

Can I get toxoplasmosis from my dog? I've caught my dog eating stray cat feces in my yard several times. I would then... (36885 views)

Lentigo on a cat. Hi Dr. Marie... My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle... (19690 views)

Meds safe for small dog? Good evening! I recently adopted a toy poodle. She is currently 4 months old (DOB... (7056 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (52750 views)

Golden Retriever Smell Hello. I have two golden retrievers and the youngest is 11 months old. She has a... (43284 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (26598 views)

Tumor grew back. Hello, Our cat Chester had a tumor removed, sarcoma, about the size of a large golf... (5124 views)