Red bubble in corner of eye.

Breed: Bulldog
My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a bubble.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

Hi John. I think I know what you are describing. I have sent you a picture. Does your dog's eye look like this?

Yes! That's exactly what it looks like!

OK...it looks like your dog may have a condition called a cherry eye or in medical terms third eyelid prolapse.
The good news is that it is not an emergency to have it treated.

However, most likely it will need surgery in order to be fixed. In a very small number of dogs who have this condition the eyelid will go back into place within a few days. Most of the time though we need to put it back surgically.

This is sometimes a tricky surgery to do and a small percentage of dogs have the gland pop back out again after surgery. If that happens then we consider removing the gland. We don't remove the gland without first trying to replace it though because removing it can cause problems with tear production earlier on in life.

Thank you for that info!

You're very welcome!

Related question: Possible stye on dog's eye

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (30866 views)

Double dose Metacam. We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5... (44150 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (24583 views)

Good appetite in blind deaf cat. my cat is over 15 years old she is partially blind and deaf she misses her litterbox... (7278 views)

Blood in stool. hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure... (42480 views)

Dog died at the vet's A couple weeks ago I noticed our dog Gauge was straining to urinate but couldnt. I... (8106 views)

Does my dog have a gait problem? Hi Dr. I'm hoping this is a trivial question. As the email pic shows, the... (16514 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (6446 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (8599 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (21338 views)