Red bubble in corner of eye.

Breed: Bulldog
My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a bubble.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

Hi John. I think I know what you are describing. I have sent you a picture. Does your dog's eye look like this?

Yes! That's exactly what it looks like!

OK...it looks like your dog may have a condition called a cherry eye or in medical terms third eyelid prolapse.
The good news is that it is not an emergency to have it treated.

However, most likely it will need surgery in order to be fixed. In a very small number of dogs who have this condition the eyelid will go back into place within a few days. Most of the time though we need to put it back surgically.

This is sometimes a tricky surgery to do and a small percentage of dogs have the gland pop back out again after surgery. If that happens then we consider removing the gland. We don't remove the gland without first trying to replace it though because removing it can cause problems with tear production earlier on in life.

Thank you for that info!

You're very welcome!

Related question: Possible stye on dog's eye

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (29689 views)

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (6427 views)

Costco Kirkland flea product Hello We have 2 American Bulldogs. We have been using Frontline for a few years... (12989 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (7033 views)

Profender and pregnant women. Hi there Dr. Marie This isn't a direct question about an animal but I'm wondering... (8329 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (38608 views)

Can dogs drink tea? Can dogs drink tea? I have been told by quite a few people that it helps puppies to... (54926 views)

Penis comes out when poops. Our 13 weekd old sprocker spaniel's penis is popping out when he poos. This only... (23721 views)

Black spots on tongue. Hypothyroidism? My dog seems to have multiple symptoms... Harsh,dry cough, hair falling out in... (6277 views)

Arthritis in a Newfie. My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes... (9934 views)