Red bubble in corner of eye.

Breed: Bulldog
My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a bubble.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

Hi John. I think I know what you are describing. I have sent you a picture. Does your dog's eye look like this?

Yes! That's exactly what it looks like!

OK...it looks like your dog may have a condition called a cherry eye or in medical terms third eyelid prolapse.
The good news is that it is not an emergency to have it treated.

However, most likely it will need surgery in order to be fixed. In a very small number of dogs who have this condition the eyelid will go back into place within a few days. Most of the time though we need to put it back surgically.

This is sometimes a tricky surgery to do and a small percentage of dogs have the gland pop back out again after surgery. If that happens then we consider removing the gland. We don't remove the gland without first trying to replace it though because removing it can cause problems with tear production earlier on in life.

Thank you for that info!

You're very welcome!

Related question: Possible stye on dog's eye

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (159493 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (15286 views)

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (86428 views)

Did cat die from eating fertilizer? Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he... (9812 views)

Treat for fleas same day as spay? I just had my puppy spayed. She came home with fleas. How long do I have to wait... (11530 views)

Hamster is dying. My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much ,... (7865 views)

Peeing outside of box. My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter... (6289 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (10176 views)

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (6346 views)

Vomiting and elevated liver enzymes. Hi Dr. Marie, I don't know the appropriate name for my dog's breed, but I have... (22216 views)