Sick 4 week old puppies.

Breed: pekingese/chihuahua
i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started shivering and foaming at it's mouth. We think it might have eaten somthing that upset it's stomach; this morning it woke up a bit better. But another one of the puppies is now sick, and although it's not foaming it has become lethargic, and keeps opening and closing it's mouth. Do you have any idea what it could be?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that these pups are not doing well. This is a tough question to answer without examining the pups and mom but I can give you a few thoughts.

One possibility is if mom has a mammary gland infection. If the milk is infected then it can affect the puppies. At 4 weeks you should be able to start introducing some canned puppy food (diluted with water) and this may help.

It is also possible that the puppies have a virus such as distemper. Hopefully not because this is a very serious virus.

Do the pups have diarrhea at all? If so, then parasites could be a possibility as well.

While a birth defect such as a condition called a liver shunt is possible, it would be unlikely that this would affect more than one puppy.

This is a case where it really is a good idea to have your vet check out the puppies and mom. If this is an infection then some antibiotics should be able to clear it up quite easily.

I really hope everyone is ok!

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (26988 views)

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (11427 views)

Blood blisters on a cat My cat has developed what appear to be blood blisters, one just below her nose and... (16231 views)

Dog can't bark. I just recent spayed my dog this summer and i recently noticed that her bark sounds... (23164 views)

GNRH implant I am asking about the GnRH implant to bring a dog into heat. MY FIRST MAIN... (12878 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (11079 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (10205 views)

Not using litter box. All of a sudden my cat, has decided to use her litterbox to urinate only. She will... (9155 views)

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (16044 views)

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (19333 views)