Sick 4 week old puppies.

Breed: pekingese/chihuahua
i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started shivering and foaming at it's mouth. We think it might have eaten somthing that upset it's stomach; this morning it woke up a bit better. But another one of the puppies is now sick, and although it's not foaming it has become lethargic, and keeps opening and closing it's mouth. Do you have any idea what it could be?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that these pups are not doing well. This is a tough question to answer without examining the pups and mom but I can give you a few thoughts.

One possibility is if mom has a mammary gland infection. If the milk is infected then it can affect the puppies. At 4 weeks you should be able to start introducing some canned puppy food (diluted with water) and this may help.

It is also possible that the puppies have a virus such as distemper. Hopefully not because this is a very serious virus.

Do the pups have diarrhea at all? If so, then parasites could be a possibility as well.

While a birth defect such as a condition called a liver shunt is possible, it would be unlikely that this would affect more than one puppy.

This is a case where it really is a good idea to have your vet check out the puppies and mom. If this is an infection then some antibiotics should be able to clear it up quite easily.

I really hope everyone is ok!

Reversing neuter surgery. I made a mistake by neutering him, and i really want to breed him and i was... (22441 views)

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (32994 views)

Should I do these tests? I have two shih tzu's from the same litter. They were born on 1/29/09, so they are... (15411 views)

Red lesion on whippet's leg. Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I... (6301 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (23842 views)

fleas from puppy We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month. Since about 2 weeks after we... (9094 views)

Sugar is second ingredient. I ordered dog food online two days ago and just now realized the second ingredient... (4248 views)

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (24366 views)

Cat ate A&D cream. Four days ago Salem licked some A&D cream. I called poison control and they there... (18761 views)

Did my cat suffer? Last Tuesday night one of our cats went outside. He never reappeared. My boyfriend... (14349 views)