Sick 4 week old puppies.

Breed: pekingese/chihuahua
i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started shivering and foaming at it's mouth. We think it might have eaten somthing that upset it's stomach; this morning it woke up a bit better. But another one of the puppies is now sick, and although it's not foaming it has become lethargic, and keeps opening and closing it's mouth. Do you have any idea what it could be?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that these pups are not doing well. This is a tough question to answer without examining the pups and mom but I can give you a few thoughts.

One possibility is if mom has a mammary gland infection. If the milk is infected then it can affect the puppies. At 4 weeks you should be able to start introducing some canned puppy food (diluted with water) and this may help.

It is also possible that the puppies have a virus such as distemper. Hopefully not because this is a very serious virus.

Do the pups have diarrhea at all? If so, then parasites could be a possibility as well.

While a birth defect such as a condition called a liver shunt is possible, it would be unlikely that this would affect more than one puppy.

This is a case where it really is a good idea to have your vet check out the puppies and mom. If this is an infection then some antibiotics should be able to clear it up quite easily.

I really hope everyone is ok!

Jaw cancer? Hello doctor. My question is about my 8-10 year old cat. He has had teeth removed do... (15681 views)

UTI has returned? We are currently living abroad in Kazakhstan. Vet care here is not what we are used... (35712 views)

Worms in kittens. Hey there, I just got two 9 week old kittens. They have had their shots but they... (72469 views)

Connection between dandruff and diabetes? My pet has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. She is on 5 units of insulin 2x... (21304 views)

Peeing in house and throwing up. My dog has not woke us up to be let ouside since he has been house trained. A... (71282 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (141293 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (32859 views)

Swelling on dog's face. Hi the right side of my 6 year old boxer boy's face has swelled up - looks like he... (58799 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (91212 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (100844 views)