Sick 4 week old puppies.

Breed: pekingese/chihuahua
i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started shivering and foaming at it's mouth. We think it might have eaten somthing that upset it's stomach; this morning it woke up a bit better. But another one of the puppies is now sick, and although it's not foaming it has become lethargic, and keeps opening and closing it's mouth. Do you have any idea what it could be?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that these pups are not doing well. This is a tough question to answer without examining the pups and mom but I can give you a few thoughts.

One possibility is if mom has a mammary gland infection. If the milk is infected then it can affect the puppies. At 4 weeks you should be able to start introducing some canned puppy food (diluted with water) and this may help.

It is also possible that the puppies have a virus such as distemper. Hopefully not because this is a very serious virus.

Do the pups have diarrhea at all? If so, then parasites could be a possibility as well.

While a birth defect such as a condition called a liver shunt is possible, it would be unlikely that this would affect more than one puppy.

This is a case where it really is a good idea to have your vet check out the puppies and mom. If this is an infection then some antibiotics should be able to clear it up quite easily.

I really hope everyone is ok!

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (45053 views)

Increase in dog's thirst and urination. My dog has been acting fuuny the past few nights he wakes me up 2-3 times a night to... (9871 views)

Older cat with diarrhea Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad She used to throw up... (10999 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (13095 views)

Lab has a lump on his muzzle. We took our 2 1/2 year old female lab to Bradshaw Vet for a lump on her muzzle. I... (12874 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (8459 views)

Jaundiced dog. Hi, I have an 8yr old female labrador that on the 30th December, 2013 evening... (16622 views)

Dog died after coughing. Hi, My name is Tania. I had a Maltese/Shih tzu 12 years old. She had a stage one... (10307 views)

Bassett with swollen eyes. I have a 5 year old bassett whos eye swelled up quite a bit this morning. We took... (14987 views)

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (8023 views)