Sick 4 week old puppies.

Breed: pekingese/chihuahua
i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started shivering and foaming at it's mouth. We think it might have eaten somthing that upset it's stomach; this morning it woke up a bit better. But another one of the puppies is now sick, and although it's not foaming it has become lethargic, and keeps opening and closing it's mouth. Do you have any idea what it could be?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that these pups are not doing well. This is a tough question to answer without examining the pups and mom but I can give you a few thoughts.

One possibility is if mom has a mammary gland infection. If the milk is infected then it can affect the puppies. At 4 weeks you should be able to start introducing some canned puppy food (diluted with water) and this may help.

It is also possible that the puppies have a virus such as distemper. Hopefully not because this is a very serious virus.

Do the pups have diarrhea at all? If so, then parasites could be a possibility as well.

While a birth defect such as a condition called a liver shunt is possible, it would be unlikely that this would affect more than one puppy.

This is a case where it really is a good idea to have your vet check out the puppies and mom. If this is an infection then some antibiotics should be able to clear it up quite easily.

I really hope everyone is ok!

Discolored fur around mouth. I have a Westie , 4 years old , the fur around his mouth has become redish pink... (14481 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (285905 views)

Ear infection. Fred has been miserable. I have tried what i know to do. He has had a ear infection... (8413 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (26850 views)

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (6052 views)

Dog inhaled bleach. Our dog is having trouble breathing after inhaling Clorox. It was accidental my... (52122 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (13882 views)

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (20541 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (11493 views)

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (20996 views)