How much water does a puppy drink?

Breed: Sibarian Husky
My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him sleeping at the water bowl. is this normal for young active dogs? Or should i take him in for more testing? His diet is blue Buffalo wilderness adult food recommend by the the vet to switch to adult. He is very hard to house break (peeing) and we just did a round of antibiotics on him to make sure he had no infection that would cause it. Could this be a sign of diabetes?

There is a formula that tells us how much water a "normal" dog should drink and that is nowhere more than 60ml/kg/day. I'm guessing that a 9 month old husky weighs perhaps 30 pounds? (That can really vary).

30 pounds is about 13.6 kg, so he should not be drinking much more than 816 mL of water. This is about the same as 3+1/4 cups of water per day.

There are a lot of variables here, and as you have asked in the free question section I won't be able to fully answer your question. The answer on what to do next really depends on a few things such as what the specific gravity was on his urine sample. If that was really low he could have a condition called diabetes insipidus.

If you think Diesel is drinking more than 3.25 cups of water per day then I would recommend that you have more testing done.

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (8353 views)

Torn nail problem. my dog hooked her nail last saturday and broke the nail off very short and was... (11766 views)

Stop puppy from biting. How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is... (8679 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (8992 views)

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (36381 views)

Bumps near mouth and chin. My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what... (16271 views)

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (11798 views)

Possible autoimmune disease. Hi, My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my... (8988 views)

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (4998 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (16075 views)