How much water does a puppy drink?

Breed: Sibarian Husky
My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him sleeping at the water bowl. is this normal for young active dogs? Or should i take him in for more testing? His diet is blue Buffalo wilderness adult food recommend by the the vet to switch to adult. He is very hard to house break (peeing) and we just did a round of antibiotics on him to make sure he had no infection that would cause it. Could this be a sign of diabetes?

There is a formula that tells us how much water a "normal" dog should drink and that is nowhere more than 60ml/kg/day. I'm guessing that a 9 month old husky weighs perhaps 30 pounds? (That can really vary).

30 pounds is about 13.6 kg, so he should not be drinking much more than 816 mL of water. This is about the same as 3+1/4 cups of water per day.

There are a lot of variables here, and as you have asked in the free question section I won't be able to fully answer your question. The answer on what to do next really depends on a few things such as what the specific gravity was on his urine sample. If that was really low he could have a condition called diabetes insipidus.

If you think Diesel is drinking more than 3.25 cups of water per day then I would recommend that you have more testing done.

Increased thirst and urination. Hi Dr. Marie, This question concerns crystals in urine. Starting about 1 week... (4485 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (29827 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (11742 views)

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (13911 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (11477 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (5061 views)

Licking feet. My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them... (7715 views)

Cat won't eat or drink. Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink... (21259 views)

Cat is sneezing a lot. I have a two year old cat. I adopted her from a shelter last December. When I... (28814 views)

Vomiting every time she eats. My cat is throwing up every time she eats, what is the... (17866 views)