How much water does a puppy drink?

Breed: Sibarian Husky
My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him sleeping at the water bowl. is this normal for young active dogs? Or should i take him in for more testing? His diet is blue Buffalo wilderness adult food recommend by the the vet to switch to adult. He is very hard to house break (peeing) and we just did a round of antibiotics on him to make sure he had no infection that would cause it. Could this be a sign of diabetes?

There is a formula that tells us how much water a "normal" dog should drink and that is nowhere more than 60ml/kg/day. I'm guessing that a 9 month old husky weighs perhaps 30 pounds? (That can really vary).

30 pounds is about 13.6 kg, so he should not be drinking much more than 816 mL of water. This is about the same as 3+1/4 cups of water per day.

There are a lot of variables here, and as you have asked in the free question section I won't be able to fully answer your question. The answer on what to do next really depends on a few things such as what the specific gravity was on his urine sample. If that was really low he could have a condition called diabetes insipidus.

If you think Diesel is drinking more than 3.25 cups of water per day then I would recommend that you have more testing done.

Bulldog losing hair. hello, I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was... (20794 views)

URTI in cats. Hi I have got 2 cats, Xena 1,6 years and Nemo, a kitten 12 weeks. When the Nemo... (13427 views)

Cat has swollen foot. I took my cat to the vet bc he was limping and they said he may have cut his foot... (6154 views)

Trifexis overdose. My approx 4-5lb teacup Pomeranian ate HALF of the Trifexis meant for a 60-120lb dog... (5960 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (15034 views)

Lab not eating. My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has... (25542 views)

Laryngeal paralysis. Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now.... (21042 views)

Straining to urinate. bella acts like she has to urinate all the time. when she squats very little comes... (9624 views)

Dog ate foam padding. Hi Dr, At 9pm last nite Max chewed open an office chair. He managed to swallow... (121230 views)

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (13335 views)