Eye and ear infections.

Breed: Doberman
My dog was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. We are giving her Humulin N. We have noticed her eyes are getting this nasty gooey stuff coming out of them, and the white are red. She is also sneezing and scratching her ears. We gave her over the counter meds for ear mites, and it improved, but she is still scratching occasionally and shaking her head. I won't have money for about 30 days, so I can't take her to the vet. I have Gentamicin 0.3% Opthalmic Solution USP, 5ML drops I could use in her eyes, but I'm not sure of the dosage. I don't want her to lose her eyesight, and I am noticing a "blue/white" color in her eyes. I don't want my dog to go blind, but I can't go to the vet until I get my money. What do you suggest regarding dosage of the drops? Is the gooey stuff coming out of her eyes consistent with dogs on insulin?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Cira is having these problems.

I am quite concerned by the symptoms you have described. There are several possibilities for what could be going on.

With her eyes, can you tell if the blue coloring is in the center of her pupil, or is it that the whole eye has a bluish tint to it? If it is the center of the eye then this could be a diabetic cataract. We see this on dogs who are not correctly regulated in the amount of insulin that they are getting.

If the blue color is inside the eye and encompassing the majority of the eye then this may be something called uveitis which is inflammation in the eye and needs to be treated by a vet right away.

If the blue color is on the front of the eye (right on or in the cornea) then this could be a corneal ulcer which is very serious and needs to be treated by a vet right away.

The gooey stuff could be an infection. It could also be that she has a condition called dry eye which will cause the eye to be inflamed and irritated. Another possibility is glaucoma. This doesn't usually cause a gunky discharge but could cause the redness in the eyes. Unfortunately glaucoma is another serious issue that needs to be addressed right away.

Unfortunately I cannot legally advise you on dosages online. You may want to call your vet and ask if you can administer the Gentocin until you can make your appointment.

Regarding the ears, in most adult dogs ear mites are not the culprit, but usually an ear infection is the problem. There really is no over the counter medication that will help as most need a prescription strength medication. An over the counter ear cleaner used once daily may give some temporary relief but won't solve the problem.

Hopefully she can see her doctor soon!

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (3987 views)

Coughing and not eating chihuahua My 3 year old chihuahua has been going downhill for about 2 weeks. Last week he... (6349 views)

Possible cruciate tear. I am currently fostering an overweight husky/lab cross (Working on the weight... (5753 views)

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (12393 views)

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (11827 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (6631 views)

Matts on my cat I have a long hair cat with alot of matted hair. I also got L'oreal tangle tamer for... (5575 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (32611 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (7143 views)

Vomiting and elevated liver enzymes. Hi Dr. Marie, I don't know the appropriate name for my dog's breed, but I have... (17924 views)