Eye and ear infections.

Breed: Doberman
My dog was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. We are giving her Humulin N. We have noticed her eyes are getting this nasty gooey stuff coming out of them, and the white are red. She is also sneezing and scratching her ears. We gave her over the counter meds for ear mites, and it improved, but she is still scratching occasionally and shaking her head. I won't have money for about 30 days, so I can't take her to the vet. I have Gentamicin 0.3% Opthalmic Solution USP, 5ML drops I could use in her eyes, but I'm not sure of the dosage. I don't want her to lose her eyesight, and I am noticing a "blue/white" color in her eyes. I don't want my dog to go blind, but I can't go to the vet until I get my money. What do you suggest regarding dosage of the drops? Is the gooey stuff coming out of her eyes consistent with dogs on insulin?

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Cira is having these problems.

I am quite concerned by the symptoms you have described. There are several possibilities for what could be going on.

With her eyes, can you tell if the blue coloring is in the center of her pupil, or is it that the whole eye has a bluish tint to it? If it is the center of the eye then this could be a diabetic cataract. We see this on dogs who are not correctly regulated in the amount of insulin that they are getting.

If the blue color is inside the eye and encompassing the majority of the eye then this may be something called uveitis which is inflammation in the eye and needs to be treated by a vet right away.

If the blue color is on the front of the eye (right on or in the cornea) then this could be a corneal ulcer which is very serious and needs to be treated by a vet right away.

The gooey stuff could be an infection. It could also be that she has a condition called dry eye which will cause the eye to be inflamed and irritated. Another possibility is glaucoma. This doesn't usually cause a gunky discharge but could cause the redness in the eyes. Unfortunately glaucoma is another serious issue that needs to be addressed right away.

Unfortunately I cannot legally advise you on dosages online. You may want to call your vet and ask if you can administer the Gentocin until you can make your appointment.

Regarding the ears, in most adult dogs ear mites are not the culprit, but usually an ear infection is the problem. There really is no over the counter medication that will help as most need a prescription strength medication. An over the counter ear cleaner used once daily may give some temporary relief but won't solve the problem.

Hopefully she can see her doctor soon!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (6244 views)

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (2507 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (10402 views)

Can't get rid of fleas. Lately my dog has been non stop scratching and biting his skin. His skin becomes... (4955 views)

Kitten diarrhea the kitten is about 2mths old and has diarea she was a wild kitten born outside... (6845 views)

Large abdomen in cat. We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly... (7773 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (5062 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (20686 views)

Did convenia cause death? Dear Dr. Marie, My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of... (8416 views)

Cat with only 4 teeth. We just discovered our cat, Chole, who is 11 years old, seem to have only 4... (7013 views)