Possible chyletiella.

Breed: Labradoodle
My eleven week old pup is cover from nose to tail in what looks like white dandruff. He is also very itchy. We bathed him in medicated shampoo given to us from vet yesterday but today it seems worse. Is this it being killed off? Obviously concerned about human transfer etc. any further advice would be muchly appreciated!
Thanks.

That sounds pretty unusual! You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of something called cheyletiella. This is a parasite also known as "walking dandruff". It's not very common. I think the last case I saw was about 10 years ago. But, it usually is seen in young puppies.

The vet can diagnose it by looking at some of the flakes under the microscope. It is generally treated by using a good flea product.

If that's not it, you may need to have more tests done on Hamish. If there is no obvious infection the vet may do a skin biopsy to rule out some type of congenital skin disorder.

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (15828 views)

Dog pooping and peeing in house. why does my dog poo or pee when i leeve her out in the house at night ??? when i... (8347 views)

Flea dirt around nipples? She is a 20 month old seemingly very healthy happy cat. There is a very good chance... (35681 views)

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (7549 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (20974 views)

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (9404 views)

Sardine treats for my cat. Is this recipe for cat treats safe for my cat? 3/4 cup dry, whole wheat bread... (6659 views)

Gabapentin and Metacam My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it... (9701 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (6062 views)

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (13311 views)