Canine tooth extracted.

Breed: Domestic Feline Shor
My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It was broken below the pulp line. Unfortunately, her lower right canine now contacts her upper gum line along the outside edge, in the absence of the upper canine. A small lesion has formed on the upper gum at the point of contact with the lower canine. Of course, I will take her back to the vet that did the surgery, So, my question is not about whether to ignore the issue. I certainly won't ignore the situation.

Instead, my question is regarding my OPTIONS at that point. Will this lesion resolve on its own (ie: will a natural callous form)? If not, should the lower canine also be removed? Or instead, can it be filed down to reduce or eliminate contact? If so, would the filing require a root canal, and in this situation, are root canals safe and effective in this case?

I want to go back to the vet armed with as much information as possible. I sorely regret the decision to extract the upper canine in the first place, as opposed to having done a root canal then. I don't want to make the same mistake twice, and I wish I'd gone to that initial appointment better prepared than I was. That is why I'm asking your opinion on potential options now. Thank you for your response.

This is a really tough question to answer. I have seen this happen where when a tooth is removed the corresponding tooth causes trouble. Your vet may decide to monitor things for a while to see if perhaps things will settle. She may be perfectly ok and not need any further treatment.

In my practice, if this were my case and if things were not improving I would recommend one of two things:

1) Removal of the canine tooth
2) Referral to a veterinary dentist

The veterinary dentist can potentially do a procedure to shorten the tooth. However, is not easy. The pulp of a cat's canine tooth is very close to the end of the tooth. If the shortening of the tooth affects the pulp then either a root canal or something called pulp capping must be done. These are not procedures to take lightly and can also have complications.

It really does sound like the tooth needed to be removed. I know, in hindsight it is easy to say that we wish a root canal had been done rather than extraction, but root canals can have complications too. Also, in most cases, in my opinion, a root canal should be performed by a veterinary dentist as most general practicing veterinarians will not have the expertise to do this procedure.

Your vet really should give you the best advice on what needs to be done here. From what you've told me, I'd probably lean towards extracting the canine tooth if it continues to be a problem. But, if you have access to a veterinary dentist then it is possible that a root canal would be a good option as well.

Hope things work out ok.

Thank you for your courteous and thoughtful answer. If nothing else, I feel better about the original decision to extract as opposed to doing a root canal. I just want the very best for my pet and feel terrible that my decision may have led to undue suffering and pain. I will stop kicking myself, thanks in great part to your note. Thanks again for your support and advice.

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (17551 views)

Constipated kittens. I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use... (7567 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (9073 views)

Vomiting undigested food. I read in a magazine Woman's World about your service to give pet medical advice. My... (17219 views)

Euthanasia because of seizures. I am having extreme guilt over putting my baby down 3 days ago and I wanted a second... (21754 views)

Boxer bleeding from mouth. Hello my dog has just started bleeding from his mouth its not alot alot but it is... (65378 views)

Itchy ears and bum. My dog keeps scratching at her ears and shakes her head a lot. I clean her ears and... (13426 views)

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (4012 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (8931 views)

Swollen gums in dog. in end june of 2009 , gingivitus like symptoms appeared in my dog . the vet did... (18050 views)