Canine tooth extracted.

Breed: Domestic Feline Shor
My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It was broken below the pulp line. Unfortunately, her lower right canine now contacts her upper gum line along the outside edge, in the absence of the upper canine. A small lesion has formed on the upper gum at the point of contact with the lower canine. Of course, I will take her back to the vet that did the surgery, So, my question is not about whether to ignore the issue. I certainly won't ignore the situation.

Instead, my question is regarding my OPTIONS at that point. Will this lesion resolve on its own (ie: will a natural callous form)? If not, should the lower canine also be removed? Or instead, can it be filed down to reduce or eliminate contact? If so, would the filing require a root canal, and in this situation, are root canals safe and effective in this case?

I want to go back to the vet armed with as much information as possible. I sorely regret the decision to extract the upper canine in the first place, as opposed to having done a root canal then. I don't want to make the same mistake twice, and I wish I'd gone to that initial appointment better prepared than I was. That is why I'm asking your opinion on potential options now. Thank you for your response.

This is a really tough question to answer. I have seen this happen where when a tooth is removed the corresponding tooth causes trouble. Your vet may decide to monitor things for a while to see if perhaps things will settle. She may be perfectly ok and not need any further treatment.

In my practice, if this were my case and if things were not improving I would recommend one of two things:

1) Removal of the canine tooth
2) Referral to a veterinary dentist

The veterinary dentist can potentially do a procedure to shorten the tooth. However, is not easy. The pulp of a cat's canine tooth is very close to the end of the tooth. If the shortening of the tooth affects the pulp then either a root canal or something called pulp capping must be done. These are not procedures to take lightly and can also have complications.

It really does sound like the tooth needed to be removed. I know, in hindsight it is easy to say that we wish a root canal had been done rather than extraction, but root canals can have complications too. Also, in most cases, in my opinion, a root canal should be performed by a veterinary dentist as most general practicing veterinarians will not have the expertise to do this procedure.

Your vet really should give you the best advice on what needs to be done here. From what you've told me, I'd probably lean towards extracting the canine tooth if it continues to be a problem. But, if you have access to a veterinary dentist then it is possible that a root canal would be a good option as well.

Hope things work out ok.

Thank you for your courteous and thoughtful answer. If nothing else, I feel better about the original decision to extract as opposed to doing a root canal. I just want the very best for my pet and feel terrible that my decision may have led to undue suffering and pain. I will stop kicking myself, thanks in great part to your note. Thanks again for your support and advice.

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (4347 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (26506 views)

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (9652 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (15663 views)

Constipated kittens. I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use... (6353 views)

Itchy face and ears. Abbey has been itching her neck face ears area ive stopped with dog treats changed... (8559 views)

Mesenchymal tumor Need some input. My dog (she's 6)had developed a small lump/bump on her head above... (4912 views)

Is Frontline working for fleas? I live in Iowa and rescued a black Pug from a family in July. The previous owner... (13388 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (3559 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (3959 views)