hamster brain damage from chewing

Breed: short haired syrian
Hi, my 18 month old hamster started to bite her cage several months ago. i have given her many chewable wood toys, sticks and dog biscuits as sugested on the web to no avail, she is out of her cage for min 3 hours a day, and her cage is a VERY LARGE 5 level one, so this can't be the problem. please could you give me some advice on making her stop as ive heard cage biting can lead to brain damage.
thankyou for your valuable time,
Natalie.

Bar chewing is a common problem in hamsters. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things - offering wood toys, sticks and unflavored dog biscuits and giving her time out of her cage as well as enriching her current environment.

Here are some other things you can try:

-Buy a product called Bitter Apple to spray on the bars. This is a non toxic product that tastes awful to animals. You may need to spray the bars a couple of times per day but after a few days Fable should get the idea that it is not fun to chew the bars.

-Change her from a cage with bars to an aquarium type cage.

-Change the type of cage bars - i.e. if you have a cage with wire bars get one with either plastic or coated wire.

I'd like to address the issue of whether hamsters can get brain damage from chewing on the bars. This is highly unlikely. If you search for cage chewing in hamsters one of the first articles states that it is possible to get brain damage from the jarring caused by chewing. Then, it looks like everyone who wrote an article about hamsters chewing their cages has done a search, read this article and repeated the information. This is how internet rumors get started.

I did a thorough search for you in the veterinary literature and there is no evidence or even speculation amongst veterinarians that hamsters can damage their brains from chewing. The brain of any animal is well encased and protected.

It is, however, possible for a hamster to damage his or her teeth by chewing cage bars. So, for this reason, we should try to prevent this bad habit!

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (18623 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (8453 views)

Clear discharge from dog's nose. Hello, My 3 year old Golden Retriever has been blowing her nose--exactly how... (21396 views)

Lab swallowed a shotgun shell. my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i... (9442 views)

Kitten eating her feces. My kitten keeps eating her own poo and vomiting it back up and i dont know why... (11328 views)

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (4741 views)

Cataracts, thirst and lethargy. Hi Dr Marie, I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed... (7735 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (7566 views)

Eye closed in hamster. My hamster has one eye closed all the time. There are no other hamsters living with... (30003 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (15385 views)