hamster brain damage from chewing

Breed: short haired syrian
Hi, my 18 month old hamster started to bite her cage several months ago. i have given her many chewable wood toys, sticks and dog biscuits as sugested on the web to no avail, she is out of her cage for min 3 hours a day, and her cage is a VERY LARGE 5 level one, so this can't be the problem. please could you give me some advice on making her stop as ive heard cage biting can lead to brain damage.
thankyou for your valuable time,
Natalie.

Bar chewing is a common problem in hamsters. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things - offering wood toys, sticks and unflavored dog biscuits and giving her time out of her cage as well as enriching her current environment.

Here are some other things you can try:

-Buy a product called Bitter Apple to spray on the bars. This is a non toxic product that tastes awful to animals. You may need to spray the bars a couple of times per day but after a few days Fable should get the idea that it is not fun to chew the bars.

-Change her from a cage with bars to an aquarium type cage.

-Change the type of cage bars - i.e. if you have a cage with wire bars get one with either plastic or coated wire.

I'd like to address the issue of whether hamsters can get brain damage from chewing on the bars. This is highly unlikely. If you search for cage chewing in hamsters one of the first articles states that it is possible to get brain damage from the jarring caused by chewing. Then, it looks like everyone who wrote an article about hamsters chewing their cages has done a search, read this article and repeated the information. This is how internet rumors get started.

I did a thorough search for you in the veterinary literature and there is no evidence or even speculation amongst veterinarians that hamsters can damage their brains from chewing. The brain of any animal is well encased and protected.

It is, however, possible for a hamster to damage his or her teeth by chewing cage bars. So, for this reason, we should try to prevent this bad habit!

Infection in neuter incision? My dog got neutered 10 days ago (Aug 9th) and in a distracted moment he licked the... (56976 views)

Bladder stones and crystals. Hello Dr. Marie: Last fall and again in April of this year, Jazz got what was... (10717 views)

Dog's face is swollen. my dog's face is swollen, her muzzle is swollen on both sides and very firm/hard... (129622 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (11446 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (7865 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (9377 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (6483 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (9810 views)

Alternative to Sentinel Molly has been on Sentinel forever....now it's been recalled...I have 2 months worth... (10689 views)

Diarrhea and increased appetite. We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and... (5187 views)