Dog licking at penis.

Breed: Papillon/chihuahua
Hi doc-
Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's disease which is treated with DOCP every 25 days( next shot this coming Tuesday ). Anyway!, he has been licking his winkie( silly word I know- his penis) for about a day or so, fairly often! He will even stop mid walk, lay down and go for it! He is fixed, doesent hump anything either. It's all inflamed too. It looks like he's urinating ok- what could it be? Allergy? Also he has a condition where the foreskin dosent entirely cover his winkie, but I've never had an issue with that- and I've had him 2 yrs. sorry I rambled!!

Poor boy...I would imagine it does not feel good to have an uncomfortable winkie. :)

There are a few things that can cause a dog to lick his penis obsessively. The first possibility is if he has some type of wound on the penis. (The wound could be inside of the sheath so you may not be able to see it.) If this is the case, it will eventually heal, but would heal faster with some anti-inflammatory medication.

It's also possible that he has an infection either on his penis or inside of the penile sheath. The could have started with a wound, but often we don't know why. If he has a problem with his sheath not completely protecting the penis, then infection is definitely possible. If this is the case then he's going to need some oral antibiotics.

The biggest concern, however, is if he has a stone (or a bunch of small stones) inside of his urethra. Some stones can be small enough that a dog can urinate around it, but still cause pain and inflammation. Stones can be a very serious problem. If you do notice that he develops trouble urinating at all then he needs to see a vet immediately. I have seen some dogs that get along ok with a tiny stone and then suddenly they can get a blockage. If a dog's urethra is blocked then this is a life threatening emergency.

Another possibility is if there is a tumor on the penis but this is very unlikely at his age.

I don't think this issue is connected to his Addison's at all.

No matter what the cause is, if it's been going on for more than 24 hours then he likely should see his vet. The vet will be able to extrude the penis and see if there is a wound. They should be able to tell if there is infection as well. If there is no obvious wound or infection then they will likely want to take an xray to look for a stone.

Most likely he can wait till the morning to be seen. The only reason I would want to have him in at emergency tonight is if he was struggling to urinate at all.

I hope he does ok!

I'll be online for about 10 minutes more. If you have more questions and I miss you I'll be back online early in the morning.

Thanks for your prompt reply! I'll keep an eye on that winkie :) and if it's still an issue in the morning I'll take him in- he just peed and it seemed ok, but I'll keep watching. Thanks again- Rachel

Seizures or syncopal episodes? For some history, Bella is a 12 year old pug who is as healthy as you can expect a... (5531 views)

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (11648 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (9612 views)

Swollen eye. Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him... (10222 views)

Lump near nipple. She has a lump(i think so).. It's hard, and about a marble's size in... (8093 views)

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (12104 views)

7 week old puppies have fleas. my puppy is getting eatin alive by fleas he is only 7 weeks old and is a very tiny... (7138 views)

Spay older dog? Hi Vet My dog is 9 years old & has never been mated. She is healthy & does not have... (8121 views)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (41996 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (14952 views)