Dog licking at penis.

Breed: Papillon/chihuahua
Hi doc-
Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's disease which is treated with DOCP every 25 days( next shot this coming Tuesday ). Anyway!, he has been licking his winkie( silly word I know- his penis) for about a day or so, fairly often! He will even stop mid walk, lay down and go for it! He is fixed, doesent hump anything either. It's all inflamed too. It looks like he's urinating ok- what could it be? Allergy? Also he has a condition where the foreskin dosent entirely cover his winkie, but I've never had an issue with that- and I've had him 2 yrs. sorry I rambled!!

Poor boy...I would imagine it does not feel good to have an uncomfortable winkie. :)

There are a few things that can cause a dog to lick his penis obsessively. The first possibility is if he has some type of wound on the penis. (The wound could be inside of the sheath so you may not be able to see it.) If this is the case, it will eventually heal, but would heal faster with some anti-inflammatory medication.

It's also possible that he has an infection either on his penis or inside of the penile sheath. The could have started with a wound, but often we don't know why. If he has a problem with his sheath not completely protecting the penis, then infection is definitely possible. If this is the case then he's going to need some oral antibiotics.

The biggest concern, however, is if he has a stone (or a bunch of small stones) inside of his urethra. Some stones can be small enough that a dog can urinate around it, but still cause pain and inflammation. Stones can be a very serious problem. If you do notice that he develops trouble urinating at all then he needs to see a vet immediately. I have seen some dogs that get along ok with a tiny stone and then suddenly they can get a blockage. If a dog's urethra is blocked then this is a life threatening emergency.

Another possibility is if there is a tumor on the penis but this is very unlikely at his age.

I don't think this issue is connected to his Addison's at all.

No matter what the cause is, if it's been going on for more than 24 hours then he likely should see his vet. The vet will be able to extrude the penis and see if there is a wound. They should be able to tell if there is infection as well. If there is no obvious wound or infection then they will likely want to take an xray to look for a stone.

Most likely he can wait till the morning to be seen. The only reason I would want to have him in at emergency tonight is if he was struggling to urinate at all.

I hope he does ok!

I'll be online for about 10 minutes more. If you have more questions and I miss you I'll be back online early in the morning.

Thanks for your prompt reply! I'll keep an eye on that winkie :) and if it's still an issue in the morning I'll take him in- he just peed and it seemed ok, but I'll keep watching. Thanks again- Rachel

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (10279 views)

OK to keep cats in a small room? I am concerned for two cats that I know. They live in a house where they are... (5560 views)

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (15346 views)

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (9970 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (9563 views)

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (131105 views)

Puppy not eating. why isn't my minature pincher puppy not eatting? i tried to feed him myself but he... (8990 views)

Female dog leaking urine. Dr. Marie My 8yr old shepard mix is leaking urine more days than not she is a... (14025 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (8818 views)

Crusty ears and very itchy. i have a boston terrier that just turned 1 year old (female). at 6 months i took her... (10325 views)