Dog licking at penis.

Breed: Papillon/chihuahua
Hi doc-
Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's disease which is treated with DOCP every 25 days( next shot this coming Tuesday ). Anyway!, he has been licking his winkie( silly word I know- his penis) for about a day or so, fairly often! He will even stop mid walk, lay down and go for it! He is fixed, doesent hump anything either. It's all inflamed too. It looks like he's urinating ok- what could it be? Allergy? Also he has a condition where the foreskin dosent entirely cover his winkie, but I've never had an issue with that- and I've had him 2 yrs. sorry I rambled!!

Poor boy...I would imagine it does not feel good to have an uncomfortable winkie. :)

There are a few things that can cause a dog to lick his penis obsessively. The first possibility is if he has some type of wound on the penis. (The wound could be inside of the sheath so you may not be able to see it.) If this is the case, it will eventually heal, but would heal faster with some anti-inflammatory medication.

It's also possible that he has an infection either on his penis or inside of the penile sheath. The could have started with a wound, but often we don't know why. If he has a problem with his sheath not completely protecting the penis, then infection is definitely possible. If this is the case then he's going to need some oral antibiotics.

The biggest concern, however, is if he has a stone (or a bunch of small stones) inside of his urethra. Some stones can be small enough that a dog can urinate around it, but still cause pain and inflammation. Stones can be a very serious problem. If you do notice that he develops trouble urinating at all then he needs to see a vet immediately. I have seen some dogs that get along ok with a tiny stone and then suddenly they can get a blockage. If a dog's urethra is blocked then this is a life threatening emergency.

Another possibility is if there is a tumor on the penis but this is very unlikely at his age.

I don't think this issue is connected to his Addison's at all.

No matter what the cause is, if it's been going on for more than 24 hours then he likely should see his vet. The vet will be able to extrude the penis and see if there is a wound. They should be able to tell if there is infection as well. If there is no obvious wound or infection then they will likely want to take an xray to look for a stone.

Most likely he can wait till the morning to be seen. The only reason I would want to have him in at emergency tonight is if he was struggling to urinate at all.

I hope he does ok!

I'll be online for about 10 minutes more. If you have more questions and I miss you I'll be back online early in the morning.

Thanks for your prompt reply! I'll keep an eye on that winkie :) and if it's still an issue in the morning I'll take him in- he just peed and it seemed ok, but I'll keep watching. Thanks again- Rachel

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (37514 views)

Lentigo on a cat. Hi Dr. Marie... My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle... (23190 views)

Is my dog pregnant? my dog had puppies about 7 months ago and i wasn't home often to make sure her and... (15735 views)

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (11925 views)

Leaking urine after swimming. I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several... (31987 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (9399 views)

Cat is despondent. My cat is despondent. I don't think she's sick. I'll try anything to get some life... (8177 views)

Hip dysplasia and arthritis. Hello, My dog Jasmine is about 13 & 1/2 years old. We live in New York City. I... (14626 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (6523 views)

1 month puppy can't poop. She has been constipated for 3 days. We have put half tsp. olive oil in food, giving... (16006 views)