Cat not getting over URTI.

Breed: DSH
Hi,
My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems to get any flu-free periods at all. He has been tested twice for FIV in his lifetime and both times the results were negative. My vet is confident that he does not have FIV so apart from easing his symptons slightly with Metacam, is there anything else to be done? My vet says not but I was just after another opinion. Thank you.

This sounds like a frustrating problem!

I do have a number of cats in my practice who are dealing with chronic upper respiratory tract issues.

You may want to ask your vet about putting him on an amino acid supplement called lysine. Lysine is known to have effects that help an animal fight respiratory viruses.

Has he been on antibiotics? It would be great to culture some material from his throat, trachea or even nasal discharge to see if there is a resistant infection present. If so, the test will tell us which antibiotics may be effective in clearing up the problem. It may be that it started as viral and now he has been fighting a resistant infection all this time.

I do have some cats with this issue that I put on a rotating schedule of antibiotics called pulse therapy. This is a little controversial because it can potentially lead to antibiotic resistance.

Has your cat also been tested for feline leukemia virus? Cats with this virus can be susceptible to illness and not recover well.

I hope he does ok.

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (12361 views)

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (122200 views)

Sneezing dog. My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple... (24409 views)

How much should a dog sleep? I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed... (6651 views)

Achilles tendon problems in cat. Chloe recently started walking with her heel down to the ground on the right side(2... (9756 views)

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (9517 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (7664 views)

Large lymph nodes. I spoke with you on sunday night about my shih tzu., I brought him to the vet on... (21888 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (7169 views)

White spot on eye. My cat has a greyish white spot on surface of her eye. It is not in the iris nor is... (27916 views)