Cat not getting over URTI.

Breed: DSH
Hi,
My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems to get any flu-free periods at all. He has been tested twice for FIV in his lifetime and both times the results were negative. My vet is confident that he does not have FIV so apart from easing his symptons slightly with Metacam, is there anything else to be done? My vet says not but I was just after another opinion. Thank you.

This sounds like a frustrating problem!

I do have a number of cats in my practice who are dealing with chronic upper respiratory tract issues.

You may want to ask your vet about putting him on an amino acid supplement called lysine. Lysine is known to have effects that help an animal fight respiratory viruses.

Has he been on antibiotics? It would be great to culture some material from his throat, trachea or even nasal discharge to see if there is a resistant infection present. If so, the test will tell us which antibiotics may be effective in clearing up the problem. It may be that it started as viral and now he has been fighting a resistant infection all this time.

I do have some cats with this issue that I put on a rotating schedule of antibiotics called pulse therapy. This is a little controversial because it can potentially lead to antibiotic resistance.

Has your cat also been tested for feline leukemia virus? Cats with this virus can be susceptible to illness and not recover well.

I hope he does ok.

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (6380 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (7126 views)

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (7873 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (19002 views)

Can't urinate after neuter. My boy cat was castrated yesterday he has been trying to wee but there is no wee... (8816 views)

mycoplasma felis respiratory infection Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your... (34840 views)

Cat meows constantly. Hello- Our 8 year old male cat meows constantly, and he does things like dribble... (10552 views)

Older cat problems. My cat is eating constantly. Every hour or two she cries at me to eat. And she's... (10343 views)

Seizures or syncopal episodes? For some history, Bella is a 12 year old pug who is as healthy as you can expect a... (7532 views)

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (16341 views)