Cat not getting over URTI.

Breed: DSH
Hi,
My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems to get any flu-free periods at all. He has been tested twice for FIV in his lifetime and both times the results were negative. My vet is confident that he does not have FIV so apart from easing his symptons slightly with Metacam, is there anything else to be done? My vet says not but I was just after another opinion. Thank you.

This sounds like a frustrating problem!

I do have a number of cats in my practice who are dealing with chronic upper respiratory tract issues.

You may want to ask your vet about putting him on an amino acid supplement called lysine. Lysine is known to have effects that help an animal fight respiratory viruses.

Has he been on antibiotics? It would be great to culture some material from his throat, trachea or even nasal discharge to see if there is a resistant infection present. If so, the test will tell us which antibiotics may be effective in clearing up the problem. It may be that it started as viral and now he has been fighting a resistant infection all this time.

I do have some cats with this issue that I put on a rotating schedule of antibiotics called pulse therapy. This is a little controversial because it can potentially lead to antibiotic resistance.

Has your cat also been tested for feline leukemia virus? Cats with this virus can be susceptible to illness and not recover well.

I hope he does ok.

Bladder surgery showed no cancer or stones. I am sorry in advance this is a little long. I just wanted to get the right... (10174 views)

Black sore near anus. Hello Dr.Marie (I am SO grateful for you!), I have had my two dogs (same breeder)... (46289 views)

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (9495 views)

Lump with hole and something moving in it. Hi, i just got a new kitten 3 days ago, this morning i woke up and picked her up and... (12674 views)

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (14128 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (19070 views)

Peeing on walls. Okay,I have a female spayed 2 year old cat and never sprayed walls and peed walls.... (13148 views)

Cat eating less than normal. My cat Noir hasn't been feeling well for about 5 days now. He is a 3 year old,... (73543 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (15678 views)

Occult blood in urine. Hi Dr. Marie This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation... (10323 views)