Won't nurse puppies

Breed: Yorkshire Terrier
One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven puppies but one didn't survive. She now has 5 males and 1 female. She's been a good mother so far, but yesterday we took the puppies to the vet to have their tails cut off and ever since then Maya has been extremely anxious. She has peed in the house 3 times and was up crying all night and refused to nurse her puppies. Is this normal behavior? Just to let you know also, the pups daddy is here too along with two other dogs. Maya is very hostile towards the other dogs, almost like she's telling them to stay away from her babies. She we look into some type of anti anxiety medicine.

Any advice you can give us will be helpful.

Aw, poor Maya. Raising puppies can be a challenge sometimes!

This is not something that happens very often. I have done lots of tail dockings and have never had a mom reject the puppies as a result of one.

However, some dogs are betting moms than others and I have seen many who will just suddenly decide not to nurse anymore. I'll give you a few things that you can try, but there's no guarantee that we are going to get them to nurse again.

One option is to try to force mom to allow the nursing. So, this would mean holding her and reassuring her and petting her while someone else puts the puppies on the nipples and gets them to nurse. Once she gets some hormone release from allowing the nursing she may relax a little.

It's also not a bad idea to have your vet examine Maya and do some blood work on her. It may be that we are assuming she is not nursing because the pups had their tails docked, but perhaps there is something else wrong. For example, if a dog gets eclampsia (milk fever) they will refuse to nurse their puppies and they will be anxious. This is a really serious problem and if she has it she needs to be treated right away.

Another thing that you could try is something called a DAP collar. This is a collar that releases something called dog-appeasing-pheromones. It helps to relieve stress levels in a dog. Having mom wear one might help. Here is an article that I recently wrote on the use of DAP in dogs. Unfortunately any prescription anxiety medications would likely be harmful to the puppies if she is nursing them.

You may need to purchase milk replacer for the puppies as they really need to eat!

In the meantime, do all you can to keep Maya as quiet and stress free as possible.

I really hope she is ok and starts to nurse soon!

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (8420 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (26830 views)

Vaccinate against parvo? Chester is about 10 weeks he was a stray he now has Parvo but I think recovering at... (4838 views)

Possible asthma My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had... (13094 views)

Severely scratching ears. I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with... (10972 views)

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (12386 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (13918 views)

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (4514 views)

Peeing in house. We live in a 2 story 5 bedroom house. I have a male 14 year old pure bred Ragdoll... (8229 views)

Lab not eating. My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has... (21944 views)