Dog not urinating after neuter.

Breed: American Akita
Hi dr just wondering if you could help me.

My 1year old American Akita diesel had a casturation yesterday morning but he also had to have the one removed from his tummy due to it not dropping they found it in his abdomen. Me and my partner have been up all night on and off with him hes been in a lot of pain but my vets have said he is having all I can give at the moment. They have given me metacam and tramadol for him. Only thing I'm concerned about is he haven't passed any urine since we got him home I'm not sure if he did after his op the vet never said. Is this normal? He hasn't really tried going to the toilet either think hes to scared to go as of the wound on his belly is quite big. when he gets up he finds it hard to walk bless him due to being sore just hope he will go to the toilet soon but I think hes to sore to move.
Thank you for your help any advice I would be so grateful as I'm so concerned about him my partner and I both love him to dearly

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Diesel is sore after his neuter. Metacam and Tramadol are usually very good drugs for pain.

I have seen dogs who don't urinate for a while after a neuter surgery. In most cases, it is not a sign of anything serious. I would be much more concerned if Diesel was trying to urinate and nothing was coming out. This could be a sign that there was an obstruction somewhere. It is extremely rare, but I have seen one case where a dog's urethra (urinary opening) was damaged during surgery. If this happened though the dog would be trying to urinate and nothing would be coming out.

You are probably right that Diesel does not want to urinate because he's uncomfortable. Most of the time, the dog will eventually urinate on their own.

However, if there is no urine within 24 hours, or if you noticing him trying to go and not producing anything then he will need to see a vet. The vet may place a catheter in his urethra to make sure that he can indeed empty his bladder.

If, by morning time, you feel that he is still very uncomfortable it is a good idea to have your vet take a look at him. They may be able to give him stronger doses of pain medication. I am guessing though that you will find things are really improving by the morning.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I hope Diesel is feeling better soon!

Male cat nipple problem. My male desexed cat has always had a enlarged nipple. It seems to be getting larger... (20760 views)

Brittle nails in a dog. My dog's nails seem to be chipping off and bleeding. He's not biting them. What is... (19968 views)

Scabs on cat's back. For a couple of months now, I’ve noticed my cat has been trying to scratch her... (186772 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (21207 views)

Lump on puppy's neck. Hello Dr. Marie I hope you could choose my question because i'm so worried about my... (17020 views)

Puppy vomited and became unresponsive. My puppy violet was out on her walk this afternoon and she started dry reaching and... (9726 views)

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (10024 views)

Normal to cry when put to sleep? Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would... (19823 views)

Swelling near dogs penis My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I... (94229 views)

Boxer fainted. My 1 1/2 year old boxer fainted or collapsed yesterday evening as he was walking to... (9237 views)