Dog not urinating after neuter.

Breed: American Akita
Hi dr just wondering if you could help me.

My 1year old American Akita diesel had a casturation yesterday morning but he also had to have the one removed from his tummy due to it not dropping they found it in his abdomen. Me and my partner have been up all night on and off with him hes been in a lot of pain but my vets have said he is having all I can give at the moment. They have given me metacam and tramadol for him. Only thing I'm concerned about is he haven't passed any urine since we got him home I'm not sure if he did after his op the vet never said. Is this normal? He hasn't really tried going to the toilet either think hes to scared to go as of the wound on his belly is quite big. when he gets up he finds it hard to walk bless him due to being sore just hope he will go to the toilet soon but I think hes to sore to move.
Thank you for your help any advice I would be so grateful as I'm so concerned about him my partner and I both love him to dearly

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Diesel is sore after his neuter. Metacam and Tramadol are usually very good drugs for pain.

I have seen dogs who don't urinate for a while after a neuter surgery. In most cases, it is not a sign of anything serious. I would be much more concerned if Diesel was trying to urinate and nothing was coming out. This could be a sign that there was an obstruction somewhere. It is extremely rare, but I have seen one case where a dog's urethra (urinary opening) was damaged during surgery. If this happened though the dog would be trying to urinate and nothing would be coming out.

You are probably right that Diesel does not want to urinate because he's uncomfortable. Most of the time, the dog will eventually urinate on their own.

However, if there is no urine within 24 hours, or if you noticing him trying to go and not producing anything then he will need to see a vet. The vet may place a catheter in his urethra to make sure that he can indeed empty his bladder.

If, by morning time, you feel that he is still very uncomfortable it is a good idea to have your vet take a look at him. They may be able to give him stronger doses of pain medication. I am guessing though that you will find things are really improving by the morning.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I hope Diesel is feeling better soon!

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (27886 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (7396 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (11678 views)

Dog limping. My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk... (9726 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (12003 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (16047 views)

Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cats. My cat is aged 9. She was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is... (32132 views)

Should we put down out cat? Good evening. My 15 year old tabby seems to be in rough shape. He is still... (4819 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (4738 views)

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (4861 views)