Cat with weeping skin.

Breed: house cat
I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to catch) in my neighborhood about 7 months ago. Someone had put a flea collar on her, and she had managed to get her left front paw through the collar........so that the collar ended up around her neck and up under her shoulder. She was like that for maybe 3 months (I know because I was actively trying to catch her) and as a result the skin in her "armpit" was literally worn away. When I caught her, I of course took her to the vet repeatedly for treatments (antibiotics, deworming, cleaning the wound, etc.). The area has "healed" and no longer seems to bother the cat, but it seems to sweat and the hair around it mats........so I try to keep it clean and trim the hair back. But the area seems totally devoid of any skin. It's not an open wound obviously, just very pink.......it looks like just the slightest transparent covering over meat.....just like there is no skin whatsoever. The cat seems to be just fine in all respects, but I worry about that area. Is there anything else that can be done? A surgery perhaps. Or am I worrying needlessly and the area will eventually develop a more substantial "covering"? The vet she saw basically said (when she was been treated for an actual wound) to just wait and see. I've spend a great deal on this animal and am certainly willing to spend more, but I would like your opinion. Thanks very much.

Oh, poor kitty! Thank you for rescuing this little cat.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Lily's wound. It is certainly possibly that a surgery could be done to reconstruct the area so that it is covered with healthier skin.

If it has been like this for 7 months now then it may not get any better. However if it has only been a few weeks since treatment then it may get better than it is now.

If it is still weeping it is worthwhile to have your vet take another look just to make sure that there is no infection there.

Another thought...you could consider seeing if she would tolerate wearing a small t-shirt. Having the area covered may help.

I really hope she is ok!

Dog ate soap. My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. ... (178969 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (20227 views)

Older cat with diarrhea Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad She used to throw up... (11329 views)

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (9510 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (15237 views)

Dog has a runny eye. Hi Marie! Aprox. 2 months ago, Hope's one eye started to water and run a clear... (22944 views)

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (10282 views)

Diarrhea and pain. My dog Halo is about 14 months old, she's had diarrhea for the last few days. I've... (35628 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (13457 views)

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (16405 views)