Cat with weeping skin.

Breed: house cat
I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to catch) in my neighborhood about 7 months ago. Someone had put a flea collar on her, and she had managed to get her left front paw through the collar........so that the collar ended up around her neck and up under her shoulder. She was like that for maybe 3 months (I know because I was actively trying to catch her) and as a result the skin in her "armpit" was literally worn away. When I caught her, I of course took her to the vet repeatedly for treatments (antibiotics, deworming, cleaning the wound, etc.). The area has "healed" and no longer seems to bother the cat, but it seems to sweat and the hair around it mats........so I try to keep it clean and trim the hair back. But the area seems totally devoid of any skin. It's not an open wound obviously, just very pink.......it looks like just the slightest transparent covering over meat.....just like there is no skin whatsoever. The cat seems to be just fine in all respects, but I worry about that area. Is there anything else that can be done? A surgery perhaps. Or am I worrying needlessly and the area will eventually develop a more substantial "covering"? The vet she saw basically said (when she was been treated for an actual wound) to just wait and see. I've spend a great deal on this animal and am certainly willing to spend more, but I would like your opinion. Thanks very much.

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Oh, poor kitty! Thank you for rescuing this little cat.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Lily's wound. It is certainly possibly that a surgery could be done to reconstruct the area so that it is covered with healthier skin.

If it has been like this for 7 months now then it may not get any better. However if it has only been a few weeks since treatment then it may get better than it is now.

If it is still weeping it is worthwhile to have your vet take another look just to make sure that there is no infection there.

Another thought...you could consider seeing if she would tolerate wearing a small t-shirt. Having the area covered may help.

I really hope she is ok!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (10341 views)

Throwing up and diarrhea. My dog has been throwing up and has had diarrhea for a couple of days. She is able... (22781 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (4634 views)

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (10231 views)

Red bumps on belly. My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has a few red bumps on his belly(mostly around his... (10133 views)

Diarrhea and large abdomen. My 5 yr old DSH has been acting weird for the last 2 days. He had foamy,watery... (4297 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (7188 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (3075 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (2884 views)

Tumor in belly. I recently discovered my 13 year old cat has a probably cancerous mass growing in... (3461 views)