Cat with weeping skin.

Breed: house cat
I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to catch) in my neighborhood about 7 months ago. Someone had put a flea collar on her, and she had managed to get her left front paw through the collar........so that the collar ended up around her neck and up under her shoulder. She was like that for maybe 3 months (I know because I was actively trying to catch her) and as a result the skin in her "armpit" was literally worn away. When I caught her, I of course took her to the vet repeatedly for treatments (antibiotics, deworming, cleaning the wound, etc.). The area has "healed" and no longer seems to bother the cat, but it seems to sweat and the hair around it mats........so I try to keep it clean and trim the hair back. But the area seems totally devoid of any skin. It's not an open wound obviously, just very pink.......it looks like just the slightest transparent covering over meat.....just like there is no skin whatsoever. The cat seems to be just fine in all respects, but I worry about that area. Is there anything else that can be done? A surgery perhaps. Or am I worrying needlessly and the area will eventually develop a more substantial "covering"? The vet she saw basically said (when she was been treated for an actual wound) to just wait and see. I've spend a great deal on this animal and am certainly willing to spend more, but I would like your opinion. Thanks very much.

Oh, poor kitty! Thank you for rescuing this little cat.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Lily's wound. It is certainly possibly that a surgery could be done to reconstruct the area so that it is covered with healthier skin.

If it has been like this for 7 months now then it may not get any better. However if it has only been a few weeks since treatment then it may get better than it is now.

If it is still weeping it is worthwhile to have your vet take another look just to make sure that there is no infection there.

Another thought...you could consider seeing if she would tolerate wearing a small t-shirt. Having the area covered may help.

I really hope she is ok!

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (6869 views)

Sick kitten We recently found this kitten last week outside, when we found him we estimated that... (6044 views)

Kitten has bad breath. I am having serious problems because my cat is having very smelly and bad breath... (22193 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (6197 views)

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (6098 views)

Boyfriend doesn't want to neuter dog. My boyfriend and I are arguing about whether to get our dog neutered. He is a pit... (6966 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (4985 views)

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (3569 views)

Dog has liver cancer. Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do... (16965 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (4856 views)