Cat with weeping skin.

Breed: house cat
I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to catch) in my neighborhood about 7 months ago. Someone had put a flea collar on her, and she had managed to get her left front paw through the collar........so that the collar ended up around her neck and up under her shoulder. She was like that for maybe 3 months (I know because I was actively trying to catch her) and as a result the skin in her "armpit" was literally worn away. When I caught her, I of course took her to the vet repeatedly for treatments (antibiotics, deworming, cleaning the wound, etc.). The area has "healed" and no longer seems to bother the cat, but it seems to sweat and the hair around it mats........so I try to keep it clean and trim the hair back. But the area seems totally devoid of any skin. It's not an open wound obviously, just very pink.......it looks like just the slightest transparent covering over meat.....just like there is no skin whatsoever. The cat seems to be just fine in all respects, but I worry about that area. Is there anything else that can be done? A surgery perhaps. Or am I worrying needlessly and the area will eventually develop a more substantial "covering"? The vet she saw basically said (when she was been treated for an actual wound) to just wait and see. I've spend a great deal on this animal and am certainly willing to spend more, but I would like your opinion. Thanks very much.

Oh, poor kitty! Thank you for rescuing this little cat.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Lily's wound. It is certainly possibly that a surgery could be done to reconstruct the area so that it is covered with healthier skin.

If it has been like this for 7 months now then it may not get any better. However if it has only been a few weeks since treatment then it may get better than it is now.

If it is still weeping it is worthwhile to have your vet take another look just to make sure that there is no infection there.

Another thought...you could consider seeing if she would tolerate wearing a small t-shirt. Having the area covered may help.

I really hope she is ok!

When to do shots? just wanted to know my dog got her parvovirus on 5/01/11 and her leptospirosis on... (7515 views)

Dog is panting a lot. My dog Sam has been panting alot for the past year. Recently he is doing this more... (23971 views)

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (4627 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. I have a 8-year-old golden retriever that has been vomiting for the past 36 hours. ... (14565 views)

Bald spots on bulldog's legs. We purchased a baby bulldog about a month ago. We already had a bulldog, Mina, and... (23851 views)

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (27736 views)

Has my cat been poisoned? I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a... (7632 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (4148 views)

Black spot on tongue. My dog, Bogey, has developed a black spot on his tongue about 3 months ago. It was a... (23704 views)

Hamster with cushing's disease hi a am mina. i have 10 hamester. Unfortunately "blaki" (my Hamster) Maybe have... (9245 views)