Cat with weeping skin.

Breed: house cat
I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to catch) in my neighborhood about 7 months ago. Someone had put a flea collar on her, and she had managed to get her left front paw through the collar........so that the collar ended up around her neck and up under her shoulder. She was like that for maybe 3 months (I know because I was actively trying to catch her) and as a result the skin in her "armpit" was literally worn away. When I caught her, I of course took her to the vet repeatedly for treatments (antibiotics, deworming, cleaning the wound, etc.). The area has "healed" and no longer seems to bother the cat, but it seems to sweat and the hair around it mats........so I try to keep it clean and trim the hair back. But the area seems totally devoid of any skin. It's not an open wound obviously, just very pink.......it looks like just the slightest transparent covering over meat.....just like there is no skin whatsoever. The cat seems to be just fine in all respects, but I worry about that area. Is there anything else that can be done? A surgery perhaps. Or am I worrying needlessly and the area will eventually develop a more substantial "covering"? The vet she saw basically said (when she was been treated for an actual wound) to just wait and see. I've spend a great deal on this animal and am certainly willing to spend more, but I would like your opinion. Thanks very much.

Oh, poor kitty! Thank you for rescuing this little cat.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Lily's wound. It is certainly possibly that a surgery could be done to reconstruct the area so that it is covered with healthier skin.

If it has been like this for 7 months now then it may not get any better. However if it has only been a few weeks since treatment then it may get better than it is now.

If it is still weeping it is worthwhile to have your vet take another look just to make sure that there is no infection there.

Another thought...you could consider seeing if she would tolerate wearing a small t-shirt. Having the area covered may help.

I really hope she is ok!

Black spot or scab on dog's nose. Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister... (37882 views)

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (7567 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (5142 views)

Dog throws up 3-5 times per week. Max is active & playful. He's a picky eater but seems to eat enough and drinks... (15433 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (7953 views)

Dog pees when someone pets him. Cooper is 5 months old and neutered. He pees when anyone pets him, talks to him or... (5533 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (19427 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (4880 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (11201 views)

Pathology report for mammary tumor. Shelby recently had her mammary gland removed as she had multiple tumors. This... (9706 views)