Should I have euthanized?

Breed: Fox terrier mix
We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here are the facts leading up to this... She is 16 years old. For 2 or 3 years we have been giving her 75 mg of Rimaadyl per day for arthritic neck pain. If we don't do this, within 4 days she develops a high fever (106 typically) and will not move. She just lays in her bed and shivers. This has happened twice in which both times we had to take her to the ER to bring her fever down quickly. We were told she will have to remain on Rimadyl indefinately, which may cause serious side effects, such as kidney failure, however due to her age, it is a trade off to keep her comfortable. She always seems like she is in arthritic pain. She drinks a lot of water. On Friday she had terrible foamy bloody diarreah. This happened for 3 days. Her water consumption increased significantly and she wanted water constantly. She seemed very aggitated and in pain. She was aggresively licking my other dog, pacing or drinking. She just wouldn't settle down. After 3 days of this we decided we just didn't want her to be in pain any more. I had made up my mind it was kidney failure. Yesterday we went in to the vet to put her down and he felt her stomach and said he didn't think she had kidney failure. This little bit of doubt changed things for me, but my husband still strongly felt like we should put her down due to her level of pain. We stayed with her while this was happening. Now I am so consumed with guilt that I feel like I need to know that she was seriously ill, or else I made a huge mistake. Rationally I know she was in pain and probably wouldn't have lived much longer, but I'm still feeling so guilty. Based on what I have told you, do you think it sounds like kidney failure?

I'm so sorry to hear about Kyra. It's never easy to lose a pet.

The first thing that stood out to me when I read your question was that Kyra was 16 years old. There are not many dogs who will live longer than 16. If I had a 16 year old dog in my clinic with symptoms of dramatically increased thirst and bloody diarrhea I would be preparing owners that there is probably a life threatening disease process happening.

You can't determine whether a dog is in kidney failure by just feeling their stomach. Tests would need to be done.

Obviously, we will never know what was causing her symptoms. I probably would have suggested doing some blood tests to be sure, but I would also be very surprised if the results showed something that was treatable.

I'd like to also comment that long term Rimadyl is not as scary as you have described. I have many patients on long term NSAID use (including Rimadyl) and I would not say that they are at risk for a shorter lifespan. We'll never know if the Rimadyl contributed to Kyra's death, but my guess is that at 16, she had lived her full life and her body was shutting down. Whether it was kidney failure, liver failure or something else doesn't really matter.

I think that you made the right decision. In hindsight, doing some blood tests may have helped you to feel better about this decision. But again, from what you have described, the chances that something fixable was found on the bloodwork are very small. It would not have been right to keep her going in the state that she was in. Euthanasia was a kind decision for her.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Pathology report for mammary tumor. Shelby recently had her mammary gland removed as she had multiple tumors. This... (9711 views)

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (19118 views)

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (25694 views)

Coconut milk for dogs. Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was... (110421 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (16759 views)

Sore chihuahua My dog Chevy has had some strange behavior for some time. For the past year or so he... (7937 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (7263 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (6046 views)

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (25491 views)

Pimple on ear. My dog has a pimple on his ear. Its on the inside flap. It only bother him when i... (14728 views)