Should I have euthanized?

Breed: Fox terrier mix
We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here are the facts leading up to this... She is 16 years old. For 2 or 3 years we have been giving her 75 mg of Rimaadyl per day for arthritic neck pain. If we don't do this, within 4 days she develops a high fever (106 typically) and will not move. She just lays in her bed and shivers. This has happened twice in which both times we had to take her to the ER to bring her fever down quickly. We were told she will have to remain on Rimadyl indefinately, which may cause serious side effects, such as kidney failure, however due to her age, it is a trade off to keep her comfortable. She always seems like she is in arthritic pain. She drinks a lot of water. On Friday she had terrible foamy bloody diarreah. This happened for 3 days. Her water consumption increased significantly and she wanted water constantly. She seemed very aggitated and in pain. She was aggresively licking my other dog, pacing or drinking. She just wouldn't settle down. After 3 days of this we decided we just didn't want her to be in pain any more. I had made up my mind it was kidney failure. Yesterday we went in to the vet to put her down and he felt her stomach and said he didn't think she had kidney failure. This little bit of doubt changed things for me, but my husband still strongly felt like we should put her down due to her level of pain. We stayed with her while this was happening. Now I am so consumed with guilt that I feel like I need to know that she was seriously ill, or else I made a huge mistake. Rationally I know she was in pain and probably wouldn't have lived much longer, but I'm still feeling so guilty. Based on what I have told you, do you think it sounds like kidney failure?

I'm so sorry to hear about Kyra. It's never easy to lose a pet.

The first thing that stood out to me when I read your question was that Kyra was 16 years old. There are not many dogs who will live longer than 16. If I had a 16 year old dog in my clinic with symptoms of dramatically increased thirst and bloody diarrhea I would be preparing owners that there is probably a life threatening disease process happening.

You can't determine whether a dog is in kidney failure by just feeling their stomach. Tests would need to be done.

Obviously, we will never know what was causing her symptoms. I probably would have suggested doing some blood tests to be sure, but I would also be very surprised if the results showed something that was treatable.

I'd like to also comment that long term Rimadyl is not as scary as you have described. I have many patients on long term NSAID use (including Rimadyl) and I would not say that they are at risk for a shorter lifespan. We'll never know if the Rimadyl contributed to Kyra's death, but my guess is that at 16, she had lived her full life and her body was shutting down. Whether it was kidney failure, liver failure or something else doesn't really matter.

I think that you made the right decision. In hindsight, doing some blood tests may have helped you to feel better about this decision. But again, from what you have described, the chances that something fixable was found on the bloodwork are very small. It would not have been right to keep her going in the state that she was in. Euthanasia was a kind decision for her.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Shaking cat. My cat, Misty will be 14 in Aug. The only problems she’s had until recently have... (11994 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (19644 views)

Is Raid toxic to cats? My fiance lives in Florida and sprays Raid insecticide to kill bugs. In a few months... (110533 views)

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (5693 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (10181 views)

Do sheep die on their backs? Hi, there. We have been having a debate about a sheep we saw in the field behind... (74292 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (40590 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (7294 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (13082 views)

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (7777 views)