Puppy ate grapes.

Breed: German shepherd
My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9 weeks old.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Are grapes bad for dogs?

Hi, and thanks for your question. Are grapes toxic to puppies? Most likely your pup will be ok. Still, there are some things to look out for.

We don't know why grapes are toxic to some dogs. There are many dogs that can eat grapes every day and never get sick. And then, in some dogs, even a small exposure to grapes can cause serious kidney problems. We have not been able to determine whether it is the seeds, the skin, or what the problem is.

Given that the grapes have been in your dog's system for 24 hours, there isn't much that we can do at this point in terms of prevention. So, what I would recommend is to monitor for symptoms of kidney problems. I would visit the vet if I saw any of the following:

-excessive thirst and/or urination
-vomiting
-lethargy

If you feel like she is not well, then it's best to have her seen. Your vet will likely test her urine and her blood for signs of kidney problems, and if they are present then will place her in the hospital on intravenous fluids.

But, the odds are in your favor. In the vast majority of cases, if a dog eats grapes there are no negative effects seen.

I hope things work out fine!

Thank you. But how much longer should I monitor her?

This is a tough call. In most cases, if grapes are going to cause problems I would expect to see symptoms (as described above) within a few days.

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (9374 views)

Joint pain in a dog. Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some... (15110 views)

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (5343 views)

Shih Tzu not eating. He stopped eating 6 days ago. Yesterday the vet said temperature, fecal, urine,... (32287 views)

Chattering jaw. my 2yr old lhasa apso could just be sitting and his jaw starts to shake non-stop for... (9315 views)

Hair loss in patches. Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took... (9532 views)

OK to keep cats in a small room? I am concerned for two cats that I know. They live in a house where they are... (5520 views)

maggots in guinea pig's cage Dear dr marie, i found maggots in my guinea pig's cage. So i want to know if he has... (14549 views)

Goopy eyes. My kittens eyes are BOTH gooping up a lot. I do not know if it is an infection, or... (10893 views)

MRI for trouble standing? My dog Odie is paralyzed on the right side. No symptoms, no warnings, one night we... (10994 views)