Puppy ate grapes.

Breed: German shepherd
My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9 weeks old.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Are grapes bad for dogs?

Hi, and thanks for your question. Are grapes toxic to puppies? Most likely your pup will be ok. Still, there are some things to look out for.

We don't know why grapes are toxic to some dogs. There are many dogs that can eat grapes every day and never get sick. And then, in some dogs, even a small exposure to grapes can cause serious kidney problems. We have not been able to determine whether it is the seeds, the skin, or what the problem is.

Given that the grapes have been in your dog's system for 24 hours, there isn't much that we can do at this point in terms of prevention. So, what I would recommend is to monitor for symptoms of kidney problems. I would visit the vet if I saw any of the following:

-excessive thirst and/or urination
-vomiting
-lethargy

If you feel like she is not well, then it's best to have her seen. Your vet will likely test her urine and her blood for signs of kidney problems, and if they are present then will place her in the hospital on intravenous fluids.

But, the odds are in your favor. In the vast majority of cases, if a dog eats grapes there are no negative effects seen.

I hope things work out fine!

Thank you. But how much longer should I monitor her?

This is a tough call. In most cases, if grapes are going to cause problems I would expect to see symptoms (as described above) within a few days.

Is coconut oil good for dogs? Hello, I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my... (7735 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (6335 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (19108 views)

Min Pin won't eat. My 2 year old (obese) miniature pinscher has been displaying very odd behavior.... (11239 views)

Dog's face is swollen. my dog's face is swollen, her muzzle is swollen on both sides and very firm/hard... (128958 views)

Proteus indole positive diarrhea. Hello, I am from Romania. My cat Bruno (10 months) has diarrhea and at the faeces... (7942 views)

Blood in stool. hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure... (45228 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (8319 views)

Vomiting 3 times per day. My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a... (19489 views)

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (13101 views)