Swollen cheek on puppy.

Breed: Shepard mix
3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. Yesterday it grew more swollen, and today it is more swollen than ever. The bump is perfectly rounded and doesn't seem to be effecting the inside of his mouth.

His eye is now nearly shut. He doesn't seem to have any pain. His activity level seems to be the same. The swollen area doesn't seem to be warm and he doesn't seem to have a fever.

We live in michigan and there are not many venomous insects living here.

He has an appointment on friday with his vet for his boosters. I was wondering if you had any idea what this swelling migfht be and if it is dangerous to have him wait to 5 more days to see a vet.

Thank you,
Kirsten Svitchan

Sorry to hear that Zeus is having problems!

What you have described is unlikely to be due to an insect sting if it has been present for 3 days.

I'd be more concerned about the possibility of an abscess of some sort. In a young pup, the most common type of abscess would be from a penetrating wound such as a nip from another puppy or a stick penetrating. I have seen a number of skin abscesses in dogs that don't appear to be painful and don't cause a fever, simply cause a lump.

A tooth root abscess can definitely cause a bump under the eye or on the cheek. However, I have never seen a tooth root abscess in a young puppy.

I think as long as Zeus is eating ok and doesn't seem uncomfortable and as long as the eye does not seem irritated then it is likely ok to wait until your vaccine visit. Keep in mind, however, if there is an abscess there is a good chance that the vet will want to hold off on vaccinations until the abscess is cleared up.

Probably, if this were my case I would recommend an early visit just to be sure. If it turns out to be nothing serious your vet can just go ahead and do his boosters a little early.

I hope he is ok!

Black spot on dog's nose. Hi my name is Joanne I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black... (23637 views)

Doxycycline and amoxicillin. My dog is believed to have Lyme disease, her test was negative but our vet thought... (18761 views)

Superglue for dog's wound. He had a cut on his leg from broken glass fairly deep but not long, nor puncture. I... (24245 views)

Guinea pig not eating. Hello, I have a 3 year old guinea pig who has stopped eating. Last week I... (6433 views)

Bladder surgery? How painful/stressful is bladder surgery for a fearful barn cat? A few days ago I... (17349 views)

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (47828 views)

Male rabbits mounting. i have just got two babay rabbits that should be both 10 weeks old male and... (41834 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (7716 views)

Trouble breathing My 12 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and a "5"... (11480 views)

Beagle has lots of problems. I found my Beagle Lucky as a stray almost a year ago, he is around 4 years old. I... (6517 views)