Swollen cheek on puppy.

Breed: Shepard mix
3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. Yesterday it grew more swollen, and today it is more swollen than ever. The bump is perfectly rounded and doesn't seem to be effecting the inside of his mouth.

His eye is now nearly shut. He doesn't seem to have any pain. His activity level seems to be the same. The swollen area doesn't seem to be warm and he doesn't seem to have a fever.

We live in michigan and there are not many venomous insects living here.

He has an appointment on friday with his vet for his boosters. I was wondering if you had any idea what this swelling migfht be and if it is dangerous to have him wait to 5 more days to see a vet.

Thank you,
Kirsten Svitchan

Sorry to hear that Zeus is having problems!

What you have described is unlikely to be due to an insect sting if it has been present for 3 days.

I'd be more concerned about the possibility of an abscess of some sort. In a young pup, the most common type of abscess would be from a penetrating wound such as a nip from another puppy or a stick penetrating. I have seen a number of skin abscesses in dogs that don't appear to be painful and don't cause a fever, simply cause a lump.

A tooth root abscess can definitely cause a bump under the eye or on the cheek. However, I have never seen a tooth root abscess in a young puppy.

I think as long as Zeus is eating ok and doesn't seem uncomfortable and as long as the eye does not seem irritated then it is likely ok to wait until your vaccine visit. Keep in mind, however, if there is an abscess there is a good chance that the vet will want to hold off on vaccinations until the abscess is cleared up.

Probably, if this were my case I would recommend an early visit just to be sure. If it turns out to be nothing serious your vet can just go ahead and do his boosters a little early.

I hope he is ok!

Cats not eating. Viral Infection in Throat? I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia). 1... (13408 views)

Vasculitis and skin infection. Hey Dr. Marie, We've got a doberman with a hard-to-diagnose skin issue. Usually... (23714 views)

Human medicine for cats? Dear Whom ever it concerns, Hi my name is Lindsey. I got this stray cat 3-4 months... (15545 views)

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (57531 views)

old dog is peeing in the house. spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open... (24184 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (44366 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (13866 views)

Is URTI contagious to other cats? I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI).... (11414 views)

Cancer or hairball? Mama Kitty has a lower abdomen mass. She is 5 lbs. The vet suspects cancer, although... (18029 views)

Fontline and Advantix. My I treated my dog with Frontline Plus 2 weeks ago and it's not preventing ticks... (10745 views)