Swollen cheek on puppy.

Breed: Shepard mix
3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. Yesterday it grew more swollen, and today it is more swollen than ever. The bump is perfectly rounded and doesn't seem to be effecting the inside of his mouth.

His eye is now nearly shut. He doesn't seem to have any pain. His activity level seems to be the same. The swollen area doesn't seem to be warm and he doesn't seem to have a fever.

We live in michigan and there are not many venomous insects living here.

He has an appointment on friday with his vet for his boosters. I was wondering if you had any idea what this swelling migfht be and if it is dangerous to have him wait to 5 more days to see a vet.

Thank you,
Kirsten Svitchan

Sorry to hear that Zeus is having problems!

What you have described is unlikely to be due to an insect sting if it has been present for 3 days.

I'd be more concerned about the possibility of an abscess of some sort. In a young pup, the most common type of abscess would be from a penetrating wound such as a nip from another puppy or a stick penetrating. I have seen a number of skin abscesses in dogs that don't appear to be painful and don't cause a fever, simply cause a lump.

A tooth root abscess can definitely cause a bump under the eye or on the cheek. However, I have never seen a tooth root abscess in a young puppy.

I think as long as Zeus is eating ok and doesn't seem uncomfortable and as long as the eye does not seem irritated then it is likely ok to wait until your vaccine visit. Keep in mind, however, if there is an abscess there is a good chance that the vet will want to hold off on vaccinations until the abscess is cleared up.

Probably, if this were my case I would recommend an early visit just to be sure. If it turns out to be nothing serious your vet can just go ahead and do his boosters a little early.

I hope he is ok!

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (24917 views)

Disinfecting dishes. Hello Marie, I am contacting you again to ask a question about a part of my cat... (10931 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (17758 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (16608 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (8443 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (9898 views)

Hamster biting leg Hi Iam a newbe to the whole dwaf hamster thing so I have this six week year old... (13948 views)

Hyperthyroidism and IBD. We adopted Mo 10 years ago from the Humane Society. She was about 6 years old at... (11289 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (18180 views)

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (16591 views)