Swollen cheek on puppy.

Breed: Shepard mix
3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. Yesterday it grew more swollen, and today it is more swollen than ever. The bump is perfectly rounded and doesn't seem to be effecting the inside of his mouth.

His eye is now nearly shut. He doesn't seem to have any pain. His activity level seems to be the same. The swollen area doesn't seem to be warm and he doesn't seem to have a fever.

We live in michigan and there are not many venomous insects living here.

He has an appointment on friday with his vet for his boosters. I was wondering if you had any idea what this swelling migfht be and if it is dangerous to have him wait to 5 more days to see a vet.

Thank you,
Kirsten Svitchan

Sorry to hear that Zeus is having problems!

What you have described is unlikely to be due to an insect sting if it has been present for 3 days.

I'd be more concerned about the possibility of an abscess of some sort. In a young pup, the most common type of abscess would be from a penetrating wound such as a nip from another puppy or a stick penetrating. I have seen a number of skin abscesses in dogs that don't appear to be painful and don't cause a fever, simply cause a lump.

A tooth root abscess can definitely cause a bump under the eye or on the cheek. However, I have never seen a tooth root abscess in a young puppy.

I think as long as Zeus is eating ok and doesn't seem uncomfortable and as long as the eye does not seem irritated then it is likely ok to wait until your vaccine visit. Keep in mind, however, if there is an abscess there is a good chance that the vet will want to hold off on vaccinations until the abscess is cleared up.

Probably, if this were my case I would recommend an early visit just to be sure. If it turns out to be nothing serious your vet can just go ahead and do his boosters a little early.

I hope he is ok!

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (16782 views)

Lumps on hamster. Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones... (10854 views)

Ear infection in labradoodle. Hi Dr. Marie, I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast... (17884 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (20969 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (10042 views)

Dog ate a dead bird. he ate a dead bird today,hes been sick once,he seems fine and hes eating,should i... (29606 views)

Male cat has large breasts. Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly... (21199 views)

Lymphangectasia in a dog Hi Dr, Sorry to bother you again. Max's biopsies came back. strong... (9230 views)

Bulldog losing hair. hello, I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was... (20803 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (138209 views)