Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten.

Breed: Devon Rex
I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old last Thurday (August 26th). One of these kittens, Joel, has what my vet is calling a grade 5 heart murmur or possibly a valve problem. You can hear his blood 'whooshing' in his chest when you hold his chest to your ear. He sees the cardiologist this coming Tuesday.

In the meantime, I generally give kittens their first 3 way vaccination at the age of 8 weeks.

1) Is it safe for Joel to be vaccinated?

2) and if I shouldn't vaccinate him, is it safe to vaccinate the other 5?
They are all living together in my large kitten room.

3) OR should they all wait until the cardiologist has seen Joel?

TIA!

Mary Ann

Hi and thanks so much for your question.

A grade 5 heart murmur is usually a cause for concern and it is definitely a good idea to have the cardiologist assess Joel. They will likely do an ultrasound on the heart to determine how serious the problem is.

Some kittens can be born with what is called either an innocent murmur or a juvenile murmur which will go away within a few months. However, these murmurs are usually a grade 1 or 2. We usually grade the murmurs on a scale of 1-6, so a 5 is unlikely to be an innocent murmur.

With that being said, it is quite unlikely that there will be any problem with vaccinating Joel. The only reason I would say to wait on vaccines is if Joel is visibly sick - not eating, difficulty breathing, poor weight gain. If this is the case then it is possible that he is in heart failure and we would not want to stress his body out by giving vaccines. But if he seems bright and alert and is eating well, then he should be fine to vaccinate.

There's definitely no reason to wait to vaccinate the other 5 kittens.

I really hope the little guy is ok!

Cat with asthma. Dr. Marie, Misto is a 9-year-old, 15-pound domestic shorthair, house-only cat who... (8952 views)

Surgery needed for cruciate tear? Hello again Dr. Marie, you seem like a compassionate and caring person, so I would... (5177 views)

Snorting dog My dog has been sneezing and once ina while making a coughing sound...like snoring. ... (27245 views)

Chihuahua has back problem. Hi! One of my four chihuahuas, Ginger, has been having a back problem for a while... (11726 views)

Vomiting while in heat. Is it normal for a female dog coming out of heat to be... (21874 views)

Discolored fur around mouth. I have a Westie , 4 years old , the fur around his mouth has become redish pink... (12954 views)

Why did 15 year old dog die? Hello, My dog was 15 years old and she just recently died last thursday. My mother... (15890 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (9451 views)

Sudden bulldog death. Hello Dr. Marie, I own a boarding kennel and have for fifteen years. We pride... (29252 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (27868 views)