Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten.

Breed: Devon Rex
I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old last Thurday (August 26th). One of these kittens, Joel, has what my vet is calling a grade 5 heart murmur or possibly a valve problem. You can hear his blood 'whooshing' in his chest when you hold his chest to your ear. He sees the cardiologist this coming Tuesday.

In the meantime, I generally give kittens their first 3 way vaccination at the age of 8 weeks.

1) Is it safe for Joel to be vaccinated?

2) and if I shouldn't vaccinate him, is it safe to vaccinate the other 5?
They are all living together in my large kitten room.

3) OR should they all wait until the cardiologist has seen Joel?

TIA!

Mary Ann

Hi and thanks so much for your question.

A grade 5 heart murmur is usually a cause for concern and it is definitely a good idea to have the cardiologist assess Joel. They will likely do an ultrasound on the heart to determine how serious the problem is.

Some kittens can be born with what is called either an innocent murmur or a juvenile murmur which will go away within a few months. However, these murmurs are usually a grade 1 or 2. We usually grade the murmurs on a scale of 1-6, so a 5 is unlikely to be an innocent murmur.

With that being said, it is quite unlikely that there will be any problem with vaccinating Joel. The only reason I would say to wait on vaccines is if Joel is visibly sick - not eating, difficulty breathing, poor weight gain. If this is the case then it is possible that he is in heart failure and we would not want to stress his body out by giving vaccines. But if he seems bright and alert and is eating well, then he should be fine to vaccinate.

There's definitely no reason to wait to vaccinate the other 5 kittens.

I really hope the little guy is ok!

Is aspirin safe for dogs? I bought the excel enteric coated aspirin 81mg each for my 85lb husky. I don't know... (16709 views)

Something in throat? Husband won't let me take cat to vet..childrens pet. Cat stopped eating a few days... (31836 views)

Licking feet. My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them... (8147 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (11740 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (20427 views)

Calicivirus questions My cat has just had all of her teeth removed because of stomatitis. My vet said... (8735 views)

Dog doesn't like u/d For a dog that has once needed to have surgery to have bladder stones removed do you... (19522 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (38735 views)

ACTH Stim my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in... (8295 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (9286 views)