Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten.

Breed: Devon Rex
I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old last Thurday (August 26th). One of these kittens, Joel, has what my vet is calling a grade 5 heart murmur or possibly a valve problem. You can hear his blood 'whooshing' in his chest when you hold his chest to your ear. He sees the cardiologist this coming Tuesday.

In the meantime, I generally give kittens their first 3 way vaccination at the age of 8 weeks.

1) Is it safe for Joel to be vaccinated?

2) and if I shouldn't vaccinate him, is it safe to vaccinate the other 5?
They are all living together in my large kitten room.

3) OR should they all wait until the cardiologist has seen Joel?

TIA!

Mary Ann

Hi and thanks so much for your question.

A grade 5 heart murmur is usually a cause for concern and it is definitely a good idea to have the cardiologist assess Joel. They will likely do an ultrasound on the heart to determine how serious the problem is.

Some kittens can be born with what is called either an innocent murmur or a juvenile murmur which will go away within a few months. However, these murmurs are usually a grade 1 or 2. We usually grade the murmurs on a scale of 1-6, so a 5 is unlikely to be an innocent murmur.

With that being said, it is quite unlikely that there will be any problem with vaccinating Joel. The only reason I would say to wait on vaccines is if Joel is visibly sick - not eating, difficulty breathing, poor weight gain. If this is the case then it is possible that he is in heart failure and we would not want to stress his body out by giving vaccines. But if he seems bright and alert and is eating well, then he should be fine to vaccinate.

There's definitely no reason to wait to vaccinate the other 5 kittens.

I really hope the little guy is ok!

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (20034 views)

Liver shunt or MVD Hello Dr. Maria. I have a 6 month old male Dachshund. He went in to get a neuter... (14559 views)

Trouble with back legs. I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs.... (38602 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (7310 views)

White vaginal discharge. Dr. Marie, My female unspayed GSD 4yrs old has a milky like discharge from her... (19178 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (11330 views)

Dog can't pee after accident. brandy got ran over about 4 days ago,,, she is walking with a lamp,,, eating and... (15961 views)

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (7920 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (19693 views)

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (39598 views)