Aural Hematoma

Breed: italian greyhound
my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself. it is sensitive and feels like it is full of fluid. could she have been stung. It just happened last night.

While I can't say for sure without seeing your dog it sounds like what you are describing is something called an aural hematoma. This is a condition where there is blood that gets trapped between the skin and cartilage of the ear.

An aural hematoma does tend to be painful. Most vets will treat this with surgery to open the ear and then stitch the skin down to the cartilage so it can't fill up again.

However, lately I have been treating many of these with oral prednisone and most are doing well. You can ask your vet about this treatment which is much less expensive.

I don't recommend letting this heal on its own. If this is done we tend to see a lot of scarring and Torriero can be left with a disfigured and possibly painful ear.

I hope he does ok!

Inverted vulva and puppy vaginitis. I have purchased a Golden Retriever to be used as a new dog for breeding. She is... (40658 views)

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (37121 views)

Pug died suddenly. My 8 year old female pug just died. My husband came home from work and she had... (22550 views)

Dog Scorpion Bite. My dog Bella was under the table when she just started screaming! We got her out... (31409 views)

Puppy with vomiting and diarrhea. i have a 1 month old puppy and she is vomiting, not eating,pooping brown water and... (19319 views)

Sheltie leaking urine. We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little... (12924 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it... (15666 views)

Heartworm in a puppy? I recently sold an 11 week old pomeranian on January 24, 2010 due to allergies. I... (11871 views)

Reduced appetite in kitten. Hello Dr. Marie, My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She... (15359 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (15726 views)