Aural Hematoma

Breed: italian greyhound
my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself. it is sensitive and feels like it is full of fluid. could she have been stung. It just happened last night.

While I can't say for sure without seeing your dog it sounds like what you are describing is something called an aural hematoma. This is a condition where there is blood that gets trapped between the skin and cartilage of the ear.

An aural hematoma does tend to be painful. Most vets will treat this with surgery to open the ear and then stitch the skin down to the cartilage so it can't fill up again.

However, lately I have been treating many of these with oral prednisone and most are doing well. You can ask your vet about this treatment which is much less expensive.

I don't recommend letting this heal on its own. If this is done we tend to see a lot of scarring and Torriero can be left with a disfigured and possibly painful ear.

I hope he does ok!

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (13290 views)

Bump near anus. My dog has what looks like a pimple or maybe an ingrown hair? It's not white like a... (32619 views)

Black spot or scab on dog's nose. Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister... (35532 views)

Chattering jaw. my 2yr old lhasa apso could just be sitting and his jaw starts to shake non-stop for... (8771 views)

Cat behavior problem. We got a 13 year old girl recently (just months ago, not even a year). And we have a... (9736 views)

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (43048 views)

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (4789 views)

Are tomatoes bad for dogs? I have a question about dogs and tomatoes. I accidentally fed my dog a few(maybe... (535438 views)

Hair loss around eyes. Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the... (13910 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (5294 views)