Aural Hematoma

Breed: italian greyhound
my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself. it is sensitive and feels like it is full of fluid. could she have been stung. It just happened last night.

While I can't say for sure without seeing your dog it sounds like what you are describing is something called an aural hematoma. This is a condition where there is blood that gets trapped between the skin and cartilage of the ear.

An aural hematoma does tend to be painful. Most vets will treat this with surgery to open the ear and then stitch the skin down to the cartilage so it can't fill up again.

However, lately I have been treating many of these with oral prednisone and most are doing well. You can ask your vet about this treatment which is much less expensive.

I don't recommend letting this heal on its own. If this is done we tend to see a lot of scarring and Torriero can be left with a disfigured and possibly painful ear.

I hope he does ok!

Draining fluid for heart failure. My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and... (20081 views)

Skin lesion on gerbil. can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation... (7722 views)

Lung problem in dog. Our cuddly Walter had "kennel cough" several times throughout his life (about 5),... (7460 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (11300 views)

Orange urine and trouble walking. my dog is a rottweiler not sure if he is a cross or not and unsure off the age but... (9065 views)

Swollen paw in a cat. My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur... (21817 views)

Abscess on paw. has a very swollen front paw that spilt open between middle toes puss and blood ... (47438 views)

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (7862 views)

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (6682 views)

Cat abscess not healing. About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the... (12547 views)