Aural Hematoma

Breed: italian greyhound
my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself. it is sensitive and feels like it is full of fluid. could she have been stung. It just happened last night.

While I can't say for sure without seeing your dog it sounds like what you are describing is something called an aural hematoma. This is a condition where there is blood that gets trapped between the skin and cartilage of the ear.

An aural hematoma does tend to be painful. Most vets will treat this with surgery to open the ear and then stitch the skin down to the cartilage so it can't fill up again.

However, lately I have been treating many of these with oral prednisone and most are doing well. You can ask your vet about this treatment which is much less expensive.

I don't recommend letting this heal on its own. If this is done we tend to see a lot of scarring and Torriero can be left with a disfigured and possibly painful ear.

I hope he does ok!

Dog shedding like crazy. my dog is shedding like crazy year round what should i do? ... (11344 views)

Cat pooping on floor. My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and... (11543 views)

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (11700 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (24864 views)

Information on parvo virus. Hello dr., I am a senior in high school doing a senior project and my topic... (18381 views)

Corn in dog food. Is corn in dog food bad for him? And I also have a maltese that is 3 years old. Is... (5532 views)

Fearful puppy? I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they... (7537 views)

Cat attacking his tail. my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet... (9141 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (20529 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (7896 views)