Aural Hematoma

Breed: italian greyhound
my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself. it is sensitive and feels like it is full of fluid. could she have been stung. It just happened last night.

While I can't say for sure without seeing your dog it sounds like what you are describing is something called an aural hematoma. This is a condition where there is blood that gets trapped between the skin and cartilage of the ear.

An aural hematoma does tend to be painful. Most vets will treat this with surgery to open the ear and then stitch the skin down to the cartilage so it can't fill up again.

However, lately I have been treating many of these with oral prednisone and most are doing well. You can ask your vet about this treatment which is much less expensive.

I don't recommend letting this heal on its own. If this is done we tend to see a lot of scarring and Torriero can be left with a disfigured and possibly painful ear.

I hope he does ok!

Heart murmur in puppy. Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's... (5797 views)

Chinese Crested with diarrhea This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age.... (9261 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (5982 views)

Drooling and not eating. My female cat, Patches, has been with me since I was young. She has never been to a... (12757 views)

Contagious diarrhea? please bare with me as this is gonna be kind of long... about 2 weeks ago i had... (6647 views)

Bump on tail tip. I noticed a small bump near the very end of my dog's tail, about 1/2 inch wide. She... (39276 views)

Abscess? Hi Would you please be able to answer my question.. Wednesday Night I Heard two... (6147 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (10913 views)

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (4874 views)

Vacuolar hepatopathy. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's elevated bile acid... (18805 views)