Aural Hematoma

Breed: italian greyhound
my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself. it is sensitive and feels like it is full of fluid. could she have been stung. It just happened last night.

While I can't say for sure without seeing your dog it sounds like what you are describing is something called an aural hematoma. This is a condition where there is blood that gets trapped between the skin and cartilage of the ear.

An aural hematoma does tend to be painful. Most vets will treat this with surgery to open the ear and then stitch the skin down to the cartilage so it can't fill up again.

However, lately I have been treating many of these with oral prednisone and most are doing well. You can ask your vet about this treatment which is much less expensive.

I don't recommend letting this heal on its own. If this is done we tend to see a lot of scarring and Torriero can be left with a disfigured and possibly painful ear.

I hope he does ok!

Older cat with vomiting and white nose. My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a... (16736 views)

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (8040 views)

Vacuolar hepatopathy. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's elevated bile acid... (19757 views)

Dog with swollen face. our dog woke up with a swollen face. i think that something might have bitten him. ... (11664 views)

Dog scratching and biting. My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have... (18426 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (19579 views)

Cat peeing in house. Previously my cat would urinate or defecate on clothes/rugs if the letterbox was too... (7274 views)

Stuffed up dog. We are a foster home/rescue home for dogs. We brought in a new foster two weeks ago... (59978 views)

Cat not eating. Hello, Dr. Haynes - My cat Simon doesn't seem to be eating or drinking very much... (50226 views)

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (4708 views)