Cat keeps getting sick.

Breed: don't know but not p
Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took her to the vet and she got some shots. shortly after she got a bad cold. Took her to the vet again and vet put her on antibiotics, eye drops and vitamins. 2 weeks after she all was fine she got sick again. Took her to vet again. More antibiotics. She got well for a few weeks and I was going to see the vet for the rest of her shot but now her cold is back. What could be wrong? Do I need a new vet? I there are no other cats around her, how is she catching this?( She is indoor and isolated).She was negative for FIV. She eats ok and plays and climbs like any kitten. Please help!

Hi. I'm sorry to hear that LIttle Bear is having these problems.

I have had cases like this where kittens had a really hard time shaking an upper respiratory tract infection.

The first thing I usually do is test for FIV and Feline leukemia as either of these viruses could predispose the immune system to getting and not being able to shake a virus. It sounds like this was done. (If FIV was tested for, then probably Feline leukemia was as well.)

Antibiotics will help with bacterial infection but won't treat the underlying virus. Usually the virus comes first and then, it can progress to a bacterial infection. So, if this is a very persistent virus, then antibiotics may help a little (because of secondary bacterial infections) but they're not going to cure Little Bear.

Unfortunately the only cure here is time.

There are some animals that can have a chronic mycoplasma problem after having an upper respiratory tract infection. These cats can unfortunately have lifelong problems with congestion that comes and goes.

However, I can tell you that in the vast majority of cases that I have seen like this, the cat does eventually get over the virus and ends up being totally healthy.

You may want to ask your vet about using a supplement called Lysine. This amino acid has been shown to help cats fight viruses a little better.

I hope things are better soon!

Thank you so much for your quick response. I will ask her Vet about the Lysine when I see her this week. She is very nice but does not like to give bad news and it is easier to accept that she could have this for a while.

Yliana

Not eating or drinking and is painful. My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very... (6510 views)

Should dog be euthanized if he bites? We adopted a lab / hound mix dog from a local shelter. They didn't know much about... (14055 views)

Horrible euthanasia experience Why was my pets euthanasia a nightmare? I brought my cat Jack in for euthanasia... (11638 views)

Bobcat with lump. Hi,I was wondering about my bobcat mix... He is 3 mo old ..we found him when he was... (10594 views)

Vomiting puppy. My 30 day old Lab is pukes when I feed him milk and I think is dehydrated as his... (14504 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (7440 views)

Kitten eating her feces. My kitten keeps eating her own poo and vomiting it back up and i dont know why... (14634 views)

Cat pooping on floor. My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and... (13527 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (15393 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (20950 views)