Cat keeps getting sick.

Breed: don't know but not p
Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took her to the vet and she got some shots. shortly after she got a bad cold. Took her to the vet again and vet put her on antibiotics, eye drops and vitamins. 2 weeks after she all was fine she got sick again. Took her to vet again. More antibiotics. She got well for a few weeks and I was going to see the vet for the rest of her shot but now her cold is back. What could be wrong? Do I need a new vet? I there are no other cats around her, how is she catching this?( She is indoor and isolated).She was negative for FIV. She eats ok and plays and climbs like any kitten. Please help!

Hi. I'm sorry to hear that LIttle Bear is having these problems.

I have had cases like this where kittens had a really hard time shaking an upper respiratory tract infection.

The first thing I usually do is test for FIV and Feline leukemia as either of these viruses could predispose the immune system to getting and not being able to shake a virus. It sounds like this was done. (If FIV was tested for, then probably Feline leukemia was as well.)

Antibiotics will help with bacterial infection but won't treat the underlying virus. Usually the virus comes first and then, it can progress to a bacterial infection. So, if this is a very persistent virus, then antibiotics may help a little (because of secondary bacterial infections) but they're not going to cure Little Bear.

Unfortunately the only cure here is time.

There are some animals that can have a chronic mycoplasma problem after having an upper respiratory tract infection. These cats can unfortunately have lifelong problems with congestion that comes and goes.

However, I can tell you that in the vast majority of cases that I have seen like this, the cat does eventually get over the virus and ends up being totally healthy.

You may want to ask your vet about using a supplement called Lysine. This amino acid has been shown to help cats fight viruses a little better.

I hope things are better soon!

Thank you so much for your quick response. I will ask her Vet about the Lysine when I see her this week. She is very nice but does not like to give bad news and it is easier to accept that she could have this for a while.

Yliana

Guinea pig with mammary tumor. what does a large open lump on a guinea pigs tit mean? the tit has gone!... (12789 views)

Dog has distemper. My dog is coughing ,vomiting whatever he eats but he has appetite took him to a vet.... (8970 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (56578 views)

Bottom lip tremor. my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause... (30901 views)

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (5954 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (15866 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (16484 views)

Bald spot on cat's back. My friend's 1 1/2 yr. old cat has been losing the hair from it's tail for about 10... (40760 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. 10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings)... (22469 views)

Submissive urination. Hey Dr.Marie my dog Mya is 1 year and a half but everytime someone picks her up she... (10066 views)